• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coastal or Central route from Porto?

Happyinharrogate

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2021 and Camino del Norte 2023
I have a route planned from Porto starting along the Litoral then the Coastal, and will cross over to the Central route at Caminha. I wanted to experience some coastal walking, but wondering now if I will miss anything that I would regret from the Central Route by not crossing over earlier. I realise this is very subjective, but if anyone has done both routes ( Litoral/Coastal and Central), would be interested to hear which they preferred and whether there are must see places between Porto and Tui.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Have walked some literol, coastal, all central from Tomar, and the espiritual.

Between Porto to tui?
Barcelos (big Thursday markets, interesting town), casa fernadas (famous pilgrim communal meal), Ponte lima (with its old bridge), the forest walk over the labruge hill and many simple pleasures to be discovered on the path (colourful tiled houses, friendly locals, wildlife and flowers, changing landscapes...all that good stuff)

But all paths have their highlights to be enjoyed. Whatever you choose, you will have a special experience. And it's not just about how pretty the scenery is, nor what the path terrain is like, but also the meditative act of walking.
Just enjoy going for a long walk, wherever you choose.

Last edited:
I have a route planned from Porto starting along the Litoral then the Coastal, and will cross over to the Central route at Caminha. I wanted to experience some coastal walking, but wondering now if I will miss anything that I would regret from the Central Route by not crossing over earlier. I realise this is very subjective, but if anyone has done both routes ( Litoral/Coastal and Central), would be interested to hear which they preferred and whether there are must see places between Porto and Tui.
This is tricky. The most scenic part of the coastal is, roughly, Viana do Costello all the way to Redondela (except for the urban mess in Vigo). For the central, it's more or less from São Miguel de Arcos to Valença/Tui. Is it worth mixing and matching to get the best of both or just stick with one? Hard to say; depends on the time you have available and personal interests. But switching over to the central at Caminha doesn't seem the best choice because Tui to Redondela is so-so.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Having walked both routes, I honestly don’t think you can go wrong either path you choose. For me, the Central Route had more of a Camino feel, but that’s a very subjective evaluation. I very much enjoyed the walk from Vila do Conde up to Tui for some of the same reasons mentioned above by @Enzed. I’d suggest leaving Porto by the river to the coast and then at Vila do Conde cut inland towards Rates. Once in Spain, I, too, would recommend including the Variante Espiritual in your itinerary. We found this section to be a highlight of our last Camino. If there is a downside to the Central Route, for some, it is walking so many miles on the uneven cobblestones. But, all the positives, like Casa da Fernanda and the bridge in Ponte de Lima, far outweigh the stones. In any case, I’m confident you’ll enjoy either or a mix of the two.

Another option…coastal to Vila do Conde, cut over to central to Valença, then take the Ecovia along the Minho River to Aguarda ( you can stop in Vilanova de Cerveira). Then take the Coastal through Vigo to Redondela, and onto the spiritual variante. I saw this suggested on the forum some years ago.

Most read last week in this forum

Well, I have some health issues and no room at the inn issues. My leg flaring up has really caused a problem. My husband and I are in Vila do Conde looking for a nice place to sleep tomorrow. I...
I’m looking for recommendations for camino memoirs specific to the Portuguese camino. Ideally, the coastal route but I’ll take what I can find. I read a plethora of memoirs from the French route...
Here is my photo video from the Camino Portugues, costal route. We chose almost every opportunity to go Litoral - right out on the coastline. Only the day between Esposende and Viana do Castelo we...
Walking Litoral from Porto beginning 25 Oct. Will places to stay be open? Thanks!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back