This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Camping on Portuguese Central (Tui - SDC)

95Sanja

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2022, camino Ingles 2023
Hi all!

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon and we want to do the central portuguese, from Valenca/Tui to Santiago.

However, we would prefer to camp instead of sleeping in an albergue, since it is our honeymoon after all (and private rooms are deff not in our budget).

I met people on the camino Frances who asked albergues if they could camp in their garden, and then pay them a fee to use their facilities to shower/wash clothes etc. I know wild camping is not allowed in Spain so that is not what we would prefer to do.

Does anyone have any experience on camping on the central portuguese route and could they recommend a few places where we could camp? I could not find any official/registered camping sites on this route.

Thanks!!

Frances 2022, Ingles 2023, Portuguese C 2024

Join Camino Cleanup: Logroño to Burgos May 2025 and Astorga to O'Cebreiro in June.
I didn't camp on the Portuguese camino, but I did research the possibility. I met only one guy camping and I think he had been doing a lot of incognito camping.

I walked with some other pilgrims who stayed in the dorm at this place north of Redondela and enjoyed it (they also have places for tents):

I didn't think any of the municipal albergues in towns were suitable for camping. The municipal albergues at Valga and Briallos have outdoor spaces that might be suitable for a tent, but it would probably be wise to call them and confirm that they would let you sleep outside. They lock their doors at some hour (9 or 10 PM), so you would have to wait for pilgrims to leave in the morning if you wanted to use the toilet, make breakfast or fetch things from the fridge. The albergue at Valga did not have any kitchenware when I was there.

Congrats on the wedding!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum