• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese book culture/history-centered

EstherSTL

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2023 Camino Francés
Hi, I am looking for a book about the Camino Portuguese that is centered on the history, monuments, culture, places of interest and not as much in the albergues and food locations. There is one for the Camino Frances, "The Pilgrim Road to Santiago" by David M Glilitz and Linda Key. Does anyone has suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited:
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Hi Esther
I hope you receive some response to your question. I cannot help but thought I’d see what AI would have …

It gives some book name references but
not names of the authors.

Maybe it can direct you to some info tho.

Result from AI below.

Here are some books about the Camino Portuguese that focus on culture and history ¹:

- *A Pilgrim In The Path Of History*: This book is a personal reflection on the author's journey along the Camino de Santiago. It explores the historical and cultural significance of the pilgrimage route, including its medieval roots and modern-day appeal.

- *Pilgrimage: Lessons Learned from Solo Walking Three Ancient Ways*: This book is a more in-depth exploration of the author's experiences on the Camino de Santiago and other pilgrimage routes. It delves into the cultural and historical context of the journeys and reflects on the personal lessons learned along the way.

- *The Camino de Santiago: A History*: This book provides a comprehensive history of the Camino de Santiago, including its origins, development, and modern-day significance. It explores the cultural and religious context of the pilgrimage route and its impact on European history.

- *Camino Portugués: A Cultural and Historical Guide*: This book is a detailed guide to the Camino Portugués, one of the most popular routes to Santiago de Compostela. It explores the cultural and historical significance of the route, including its medieval roots and modern-day appeal.

- *Walking the Camino de Santiago: A Personal and Cultural Journey*: This book is a personal reflection on the author's journey along the Camino de Santiago. It explores the cultural and historical significance of the pilgrimage route, including its impact on personal growth and transformation.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Esther
I hope you receive some response to your question. I cannot help but thought I’d see what AI would have …

It gives some book name references but
not names of the authors.

Maybe it can direct you to some info tho.

Result from AI below.

Here are some books about the Camino Portuguese that focus on culture and history ¹:

- *A Pilgrim In The Path Of History*: This book is a personal reflection on the author's journey along the Camino de Santiago. It explores the historical and cultural significance of the pilgrimage route, including its medieval roots and modern-day appeal.

- *Pilgrimage: Lessons Learned from Solo Walking Three Ancient Ways*: This book is a more in-depth exploration of the author's experiences on the Camino de Santiago and other pilgrimage routes. It delves into the cultural and historical context of the journeys and reflects on the personal lessons learned along the way.

- *The Camino de Santiago: A History*: This book provides a comprehensive history of the Camino de Santiago, including its origins, development, and modern-day significance. It explores the cultural and religious context of the pilgrimage route and its impact on European history.

- *Camino Portugués: A Cultural and Historical Guide*: This book is a detailed guide to the Camino Portugués, one of the most popular routes to Santiago de Compostela. It explores the cultural and historical significance of the route, including its medieval roots and modern-day appeal.

- *Walking the Camino de Santiago: A Personal and Cultural Journey*: This book is a personal reflection on the author's journey along the Camino de Santiago. It explores the cultural and historical significance of the pilgrimage route, including its impact on personal growth and transformation.
This shows some of the challenges of relying on AI.

"The Camino de Santiago: A History" does not seem to exist according to Google and Amazon. The same is true of "Camino Portugués: A Cultural and Historical Guide" and "Walking the Camino de Santiago: A Personal and Cultural Journey". AI is well known for, when something corresponding to what you want doesn't exist in the real world, just making up something plausible that sounds like it would meet your need.

"A Pilgrim In The Path Of History" is a podcast not a book, according to Google (it isn't on Amazon). Rather than being centred on history, monuments, culture, etc, (like the Gitlitz and Davidson book), it appears to be about the authors personal experience on Camino and the lessons that can be learned from them.

The same can be said of "Pilgrimage: Lessons Learned from Solo Walking Three Ancient Ways", which at least, alone of all the titles, actually seems to be a real book. Once again it is a personal memoir combined with some advice about logistics, rather than a book about history, monuments, culture, etc. One third of it seems to be about the Camino Portugues, the other two routes discussed are in the UK.

Sadly, to the best of my knowledge, the Gitlitz and Davidson is the only book of its kind and there is nothing similar for other routes, including the Portugues. Where there is nothing, AI can't find it, so it resorts to making it up or incorrectly describing it.

Thanks David
At least you checked them out.
Sadly ., AI scored very poorly above .. (he’s only learning still ).

I think what might help @EstherSTL even more is checking some threads in this forum. There is some great stuff to be gleaned .

Thanks David
At least you checked them out.
Sadly ., AI scored very poorly above .. (he’s only learning still ).

I think what might help @EstherSTL even more is checking some threads in this forum. There is some great stuff to be gleaned .
Two critical things that AI seems to have a great deal of difficulty in learning are (1) to distinguish fantasy from reality and (2) how to say "I don't know".

Edited to add: Some real people have challenges with these two things also. But those are the people I steer well clear of when looking for answers.

Last edited:
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Two critical things that AI seems to have a great deal of difficulty in learning are (1) to distinguish fantasy from reality and (2) how to say "I don't know".
Yes … ‘it’ is contually feeding on all the information it can find. Apart from adding 2+2 and getting 5 (as a lot of information it’s drawing on is wrong as well ). / it is as you say ‘ making it look right’. I put the same question to it earlier today after you have given details of where it was wrong - It has now ingested your data and the response I get is getting a tiny bit better. 🤣🤣
It’s not an oracle. It’s only a computer. Questions have to be refined so that the superfluous data is thrown out .

On the subject though (not AI). I was wondering whether the Brierley guide included information on culture/history of the daily stages if there is any ? I cannot check at the moment because I’ve been in USA for almost 5 weeks now.

I hope Esther has tracked down sufficient information to support her camino.

Last edited:
HI OzAnnie, and David Tallan, I appreciate your comments on the subject. I had also checked the AI results and, as you guys figured, they did not seem to be what I was looking for. I have done a quick research and there are many good books about the history of Portugal: however, not necessarily about its Camino. I may settle for one of those for general knowledge and enjoinment. Thanks again for your interest.

HI OzAnnie, and David Tallan, I appreciate your comments on the subject. I had also checked the AI results and, as you guys figured, they did not seem to be what I was looking for. I have done a quick research and there are many good books about the history of Portugal: however, not necessarily about its Camino. I may settle for one of those for general knowledge and enjoinment. Thanks again for your interest.
Something you may find interesting from a history of the Camino Portugues perspective, although not about the monuments/architecture/etc. is Three Journeys to Santiago de Compostela: Pilgrim Chronicles from the 15th, 16th and 17th Centuries, translated, with a commentary by Jeffery Barrera, which I have in Kindle format but I believe is published in paper, as well. It contains pilgrim accounts by Hieronymus Münzer (1494), Givanni Battista Confalonieri (1670), and Domenico Laffi (1670). Both Münzer and Confalonieri walked the Portugues.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Something you may find interesting from a history of the Camino Portugues perspective, although not about the monuments/architecture/etc. is Three Journeys to Santiago de Compostela: Pilgrim Chronicles from the 15th, 16th and 17th Centuries, translated, with a commentary by Jeffery Barrera, which I have in Kindle format but I believe is published in paper, as well. It contains pilgrim accounts by Hieronymus Münzer (1494), Givanni Battista Confalonieri (1670), and Domenico Laffi (1670). Both Münzer and Confalonieri walked the Portugues.
David, It sounds interesting to read of pilgrims from so long time ago. Thanks for the info, I will take a look in Amazon for the kindle version.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, I am looking for a book about the Camino Portuguese that is centered on the history, monuments, culture, places of interest and not as much in the albergues and food locations. There is one...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.