• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino North OCT/NOV

Jiniowa

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte - Oct/Nov 2014
Hi, last minute American nubie here. On an almost spur of the moment, I’m going to do the Camino starting October 10 +/- a day. Would very much like to do the northern route starting in Hendaye FR. Plan to go all the way in 35+/- days. My questions are these if anyone would be so kind as to give guidance.

1. While I could easily transfer my start over to the Frances Route, I would like to be by the ocean. Is it too late in the year to start on the northern route in terms of support (Abergues public and private), trail conditions, food for pilgrims, etc.?

2. While I’m not looking for a lot of companionship along the way, I think I’d not like to be the only one I saw or talked to along the way. Will there be at least a few other travellers along the way this time of year?

3. What are the “starting out facilities” in Hendaye/Irun? Do I need to be at any specific place to get credentialed by any specific time?

4. If I wanted to do a partial route the first day (depending on when I get there) are there any accommodations that would be available that are 12 – 20 kms out of Irun.

5. I guess most basically, I looking for some thoughts on starting this journey from Hendaye vs. SJPP.

Thank you in advance!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
2. While I’m not looking for a lot of companionship along the way, I think I’d not like to be the only one I saw or talked to along the way. Will there be at least a few other travellers along the way this time of year?
Last November there were 242 pilgrims who walked the Camino del Norte, according to the Pilgrim Office statistics (they presumably started in October). That is about 8 per day spread among the various albergues on a stage. I won't be busy, that is for sure!;)

Good to know the stats. I'm hoping I'm not totally alone too - walking Nov/Dec 2014. Donnaw

Last November there were 242 pilgrims who walked the Camino del Norte, according to the Pilgrim Office statistics (they presumably started in October). That is about 8 per day spread among the various albergues on a stage. I won't be busy, that is for sure!;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hello All! I am a nervous first timer trying the first hike on CF from September 24-28, flying from NY area to Paris. Original plan was SJPDP to Pamplona, but then heard it will be rainy during...
Hi all, Maybe some can give some advice/helping words for me to actually be able to go do it. I am feeling the need to walk the frances (i originally planned and wanted to do the primitivo for...
Hi Pilgrims! I am planning on starting the Camino Frances between Oct 10-13 and I was hoping to get input about a couple specifics: Ticket's are bought and I decided to start on the holiday -...
Hi everyone - so glad to find this forum. have 4 weeks approx and intend on taking the walk handy enough!! to Santiago, onwards to Finisterre and Muxia. looking forward to it, and meeting some...
I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong group. Feel free to move my post. I have walked 7 caminos, always in Spain (well, max 50k in France), the country I love. At the end of october/start of...
September 19, @FallCamino2024, (SJPdP) ✅

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back