Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Norte - Albergue los doce tribus

Time of past OR future Camino
Gathering info for a future trip
Hello,
I will be walking Norte route and wondering if anyone has information about this albergue (Albergue los doce tribus) located before San Sebastion?
Is it still a donativo?
How many beds does it have?
Does it still have communal meals?
Is it right on the Camino route?
Any current information would be appreciated.
Thank you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I stayed there in 2018 and liked the place, quiet and a beautifull garden. There was a communal dinner then and probably still is, given the character of the group behind it. We were joined at the meal by one or two persons of the albergue a member of the twelve tribes organisation. An organisation that you could describe as a sect. The talk was not "pushy" or dogmatic . They did in no way try to convert us. I did not feel uneasy there, although I could not relate to their belief. In older threads I read other stories though. ( I dont know if it is important to you but they don't sell alchol or bottled drinks like Cola)

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
You can also put “twelve tribes” in the search function and will find many threads and posts.

Like this one, this one, and this one. I’ve tried to be balanced in my selection of the range of responses.
As soon as I opened the website my grandmother's voice came into my head. You are a Jewish boy, that place is not your business. As a kid i rarely listened to my grandmother who also would say to her son, my father, Are you sure he's Jewish???? then mumbling some Yiddish loosely translated to "my grandson I have to love you forever" (She never gave up on me no matter how many dumb things, and I mean dumb things I did) hahaha
But this place is not my business. I read some of those links and I wouldn't go near the place with a 10 foot menorah!

Last edited:
I would suggest researching the group behind the albergue before giving them any money. Try using their name in English for your search - The Twelve Tribes.
It is a donativo, so you dont give more money than what it is worth to you. I dont think they have this albergue for reasons of financial gain

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I know some people have felt unusual vibes there, what I know about them is that they also have a long standing community where I live in Courtenay British Columbia Canada and so my husband and I eat often at their local Yellow Deli Cafe and always find them to be kind, not pushy with simple delicious food, a real honesty I find refreshing! When I stopped there the people knew some of our people and so I took back photos and messages to our locals which was so appreciated!

Their Yellow Deli cafe in San Sebastian serves the best chili and corn bread I ever ate. Nice friendly people, I met one on the walk into San Sebastian. I haven't read their "backstory" and don't plan to. If I couldn't get a bed at Pasaje (there are only 14) I would push on to Albergue los dos tribus and be grateful for a place to lay my head. It's a tough slog over the mountain from Irun. Buen Camino

I stayed there in 2018 and liked the place, quiet and a beautifull garden. There was a communal dinner then and probably still is, given the character of the group behind it. We were joined at the meal by one or two persons of the albergue a member of the twelve tribes organisation. An organisation that you could describe as a sect. The talk was not "pushy" or dogmatic . They did in no way try to convert us. I did not feel uneasy there, although I could not relate to their belief. In older threads I read other stories though. ( I dont know if it is important to you but they don't sell alchol or bottled drinks like Cola)
Stayed in this place october 2023. I have the same experience.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

After a peaceful night at the beautiful Blai Blai Hostel in Zarautz, we were all awakened at 5:00am by a young man repacking his huge pack, in the middle of the floor, with his bunk light on...
I’m fairly new to this forum and it has been VERY helpful preparing me and answering a multitude of questions prior to my 1st Camino. Currently, I have just completed Day 14 of the Norte which...
This is just a shot in the dark but if anyone starting on the Del Norte finds a New Zealand passport lost today (Saturday 14th September between Hendaye and Sebastian, please PM message me and...
I saw that someone mentioned recently having walked from Santander to Liencres on a coastal route. I am here in Santander and would like to take that route. I’m brand new to the Camino and to...
At CSJ Alberque San Martin de Miraz. If yours, contact hospitaleros on 0034-982-830700 with your name and date if visit (from pilgrim passport) and we will arrange return.
I am currently walking the Camino del Norte and seem to have dropped a small brown sunglass case with sunglass clip inside. Somewhere between Castro-Urdiales and Laredo, by way of Liendo. It is in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.