• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Litter-Picks: do they ever happen?

DomPhilip

Time of past OR future Camino
Past: various since 2014
Future: El Sureste 2024
Greetings!

I was on my way, striding down the French Road, not so long ago. My attention turned to the litter, the garbage, that is scattered along the edge of the path, or bordering the carretera. Not just pilgrims' detritus, but just trash thrown, presumably, out of passing vehicles. And of course the tissues and toilet paper in secluded spots.

People often talk about giving something back. I wondered, as I walked: what about a camino litter-pick, undertaken by veteran pilgrims?

In case that's a British colloquialism, litter-pick, I mean of course a group of volunteers who go out armed with spatulas and trash-bags with the intention of spearing and collecting litter (garbage). Such endeavours are quite common in Britain. The American humorist David Sedaris is famous for his peregrinations, up and down country lanes, collecting other people's crap.

What about a litter-pick, I thought. Get some folks together and walk the path, or parts of it - do some stretches attract more rubbish than others? - and gather up all the old cans and packets, and the soiled loo paper, and bag it up. Could we do that? Could we get suitable bags from the local authority?

But then I thought, maybe this already happens? Does it? Is there already such an initiative amongst peregrinos? Do local people go out in parties, perhaps during the off-season, and scoop up all our travellers' filth? And would it, could it be, conceived, in these sensitive times, as an imposition or an affront? Would there be any danger of someone in the municipality getting annoyed at a bunch of estranjeros bagging-up along the highway?

What do others think about this? Are there a group garbage-gathering parties already? Does the idea have merit otherwise? Let me know.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My son and I walked in 2015 and as we wanted our BSA Scouting 50 Miler Scouting Award. We needed to have a minimum of 10 hours of service time so we picked up trash every day for about a half hour and then took it to the next public trash bin. The camino would be cleaned up pretty quickly if we all did that.
Buen Camino--

Greetings!

I was on my way, striding down the French Road, not so long ago. My attention turned to the litter, the garbage, that is scattered along the edge of the path, or bordering the carretera. Not just pilgrims' detritus, but just trash thrown, presumably, out of passing vehicles. And of course the tissues and toilet paper in secluded spots.

People often talk about giving something back. I wondered, as I walked: what about a camino litter-pick, undertaken by veteran pilgrims?

In case that's a British colloquialism, litter-pick, I mean of course a group of volunteers who go out armed with spatulas and trash-bags with the intention of spearing and collecting litter (garbage). Such endeavours are quite common in Britain. The American humorist David Sedaris is famous for his peregrinations, up and down country lanes, collecting other people's crap.

What about a litter-pick, I thought. Get some folks together and walk the path, or parts of it - do some stretches attract more rubbish than others? - and gather up all the old cans and packets, and the soiled loo paper, and bag it up. Could we do that? Could we get suitable bags from the local authority?

But then I thought, maybe this already happens? Does it? Is there already such an initiative amongst peregrinos? Do local people go out in parties, perhaps during the off-season, and scoop up all our travellers' filth? And would it, could it be, conceived, in these sensitive times, as an imposition or an affront? Would there be any danger of someone in the municipality getting annoyed at a bunch of estranjeros bagging-up along the highway?

What do others think about this? Are there a group garbage-gathering parties already? Does the idea have merit otherwise? Let me know.

Yes it already happens.
Some forummembers are involved in the Ditch Pigs.
More info here.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Greetings!

Search “Ditch Pigs” on the forum. Much will be revealed

Ditch Piggery, been there, done that! It is a very rewarding weekend at the end of November working out of Moratinos. I also spend most of my days while volunteering at San Anton walking between Hontanos and Castrojeriz picking up litter. It just takes a small plastic shopping bag and some latex gloves, rather than complain about the trash; you can do it, too!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I am posting this having just completed the Burgos to Ponferrada leg of Camino Frances. This would take my Camino mileage up to around 1,300km over a few shorter trips, so while I would...
I am convinced that if I ever manage to invent air-conditioned underwear or truly waterproof gear for the Camino that keeps you dry, I will become a millionaire. Today, I walked in heavy rain from...
Hi everyone 🙂 I have just arrived to Leon to start my walk tomorrow morning. Checked into accom and have found that one of my poles won't tighten when I extend it 😳 They are very basic telescopic...
Hello im Pablo C Vergara - Im in the Film Industry and been on some TV shows and NETFLIX. I just arrived to Madrid and staying at Tres Cantos tonight and intending to travel north to start my...
Ok, not literally, but kind of they did. The recent thread on the wolf at Cruz de Ferro reminded me of my tenuous link to the Camino involving wolves, and it would be great to hear of other...
There used to be a large scale printable elevation map for each stage of Camino Frances. I hung it on my mom's wall so she could follow my journey. Each stage was almost one sheet of paper. Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back