• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles Start

Cisnes

Time of past OR future Camino
-
Does anybody know the starting point of the Camino Ingles, or at least the route that it follows?

I came across a couple of marker points while walking in Wensleydale.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Oh, dear God! Are you serious? Where does it start? If you have some delicious Wensleydale cheese, have some now. With a few crackers. Then think: the Camino Ingles. How did it get its name? I don't actually know, but I have gleaned this much: it concerns the name of the pilgrim route of those who landed from foreign shores speaking English, or anything that was neither Spanish, nor French, nor... other Continental languages.
So, back to your fair question. In modern times, there are two recognised starting places in Galicia. La Corunna and Ferrol. I have also gleaned that the first is the original, traditional. Who knows? I have been converted to cynicism as a result of my membership of this forum.
If you want to get a Compostela, find a 25km route in UK and prove that you walked it, then begin in La Corunna. Or else, get yourself to Ferrol. It exceeds the current requirement of 100km as minimum for a compostela.
Most of all, enjoy it. It is short, but contains the elements of pilgrimage. Which is what it is all about, isn't it! 😇

Most people think of the Camino Ingles as being the route from.either Ferrol or A Coruña to Santiago. There have been attempts to create routes within England which link sites with historic connections to pilgrimage. I think you may mean one of those rather than the Galician route. Those who have walked at least 25km of one of several English routes and have a stamped credencial can receive a Compostela after walking the route from A Coruña which is normally too short to qualify. There is some information about the recognised English routes on this page: https://www.caminoingles.gal/en/o-camino-ingles-en-gran-bretana

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you Bradypus.
It was more out of interest than wanting to receive a Compostela, and as I only saw two markers all day I don't think it would be a route you could follow without knowing it beforehand.
I did wonder if it was from Durham Cathedral, it was actually in Nidderdale so just north of Ripon and wondered if it was heading to the cathedral there.

The Camino Inglés in the north east of England starts at Finchale Abbey, which is about 4 miles north of Durham, and runs to Escomb, west of Bishop Auckland. However, there are plans to extend it into Yorkshire, with the idea of eventually reaching York?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you Ian & Linda.
Durham to York would be a lovely walk if they do complete it.

Most read last week in this forum

Tomorrow morning my wife and I begin our first Camino. We have been in Ferrol since yesterday and are itching to get started. I am a little nervous because we’ve never done anything like this...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back