• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino feasible between end of November and beginning of December

Reven

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello community,

apologies if this has already been asked or if it is not relevant.

I was thinking of doing a Camino (starting around end of November) and I am doing some research on which one would be feasible around that time of the year. Preferably somewhere not too cold / with ok weather. I am happy to do a longer route but break it down over the days I have (approx. 10 days). Any tips / advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Liz

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Weather in northern Spain is very unpredictable. I have walked the Camino Ingles in January and had only 20 minutes of light drizzle over 100+km and actually had sunburn by the end. I have also walked the Camino Frances in September and found myself in a torrential thunderstorm which left the path knee deep in fast flowing muddy water. Unless there is exceptional bad weather any of the main Camino routes should be possible in November and December. A lot of albergues and bars will be closed but the Frances and the Portugues should have enough open to be practical - more so in the final 100km sections which are routinely walked all year round.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Apart from a few high mountain passes that could get snow... most camino routes are feasible at that time of year. There is ease in doing the major routes ending in Santiago like Portugues, Frances, Ingles as there will still be a reasonable number of pilgrims on these sections- but the weather could be wet and cool as it is Galicia! So for instance 10 days on CF from Ponferrada, 10 days would start north of Porto.
For warmer conditions it's starting on some of the southern caminos but these are less travelled and need a little more independence than the CF or CP

Hello community,

apologies if this has already been asked or if it is not relevant.

I was thinking of doing a Camino (starting around end of November) and I am doing some research on which one would be feasible around that time of the year. Preferably somewhere not too cold / with ok weather. I am happy to do a longer route but break it down over the days I have (approx. 10 days). Any tips / advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Liz
I walked the Frances from Pamplona to Santiago mid November to 11 December in 2022. Though many places were closed there were few pilgrims and ample albergues open. Fortunately the weather was pleasant and not wet, though you of course need to be prepared to get wet that time of year especially in Galicia. The other Caminos will be more challenging at that time because of closed facilities.

I walked 8 days from Puente La Reina to Burgos during last december. It was nice, but perhaps we have been lucky with the weather.
I think you should avoid Pais Vasco, Cantabria, Asturias and Galicia, except if you like the rain.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Note on accommodation - while it will rain in Galicia at that time of year, 🌧️🌧️🌧️ all the Xunta Albergues are open all year round and on the Sanabres are pretty new and exceptionally luxurious. The walk is also one of the prettiest through the Galician fields and forests.
Buen Amino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked the CF twice in August and October plus the Le Puy camino in August. I walked Irun to Bilbao in August as well. I planned to walk the Portuguese camino from Lisbon but now don't...
Hello community, apologies if this has already been asked or if it is not relevant. I was thinking of doing a Camino (starting around end of November) and I am doing some research on which one...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back