Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Del Norte: where to start from for the best coastline?

olmonnier

Time of past OR future Camino
First camino: 29th of September to 8th of October
Hi there, nice to meet you all.

I will be doing my first Camino in a few weeks, on the Camino Del Norte. I only have 10 days and plan to experience a bit of the coast line, reach an intermediate point by bus and then reach Santiago de Compostelle by foot.

I am planning to arrive in Bilbao and here is my question, knowing that I want to experience the most scenic walk possible on the coast for the first part.

Should I take a bus to Bilbao-Irun to start from Irun or the landscapes are equally interesting starting from Bilbao and going west?

Summarizing my question, is there an area on the coast line that more worth it than another? I can see some people are also starting from Santander. I am also aware that the beginning from Irun is a bit steeper, but I am good with it.

thank you in advance for your recommendations

Olivier

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Hola

I'd say start in Bilbao.
It is also an easy starting point and you will have some good stretches of ocean walking.
Remember that you can take the off-camino small paths along the ocean in nature, although they will make your days longer and more difficult.

I hope this helps.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

I agree. Starting straight out of Bilbao will get you to Santander in about 5 days, and it's a lovely section of the Norte. From Santander you have plenty of transport options to take you west. If a compostela is important to you, you could pick up the camino again at Baamonde or Lugo to give you 100km/four day's walking to Santiago.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
By all accounts Irun to Bilbao has some of the most beautiful scenery on the Norte, as well as some of the most physically demanding. Bilbao to Irun on the little Euskotren is an easy and pleasant little journey.

Bilbao is a beautiful city so walking to it is a reward in itself. If you take the high route on your first day out of Irun you will have a beautiful coastal perspective that will stay with you as you walk near and far from the coast all along the Camino Del Norte until Ribadeo. You run the risk of becoming a Camino addict like many of us on this forum so it is likely you would return to Bilbao and resume your Del Norte Camino in the near future. More importantly, there is much more to the Camino than just a scenic coastal walk. It is a pilgrimage with exacting physical demands. You will experience that walking out of Irun and carry some satisfaction in that all the way to Santiago. Buen Camino

I’m walking the Del Norte now. Currently 22 days in.
I believe Irun to Bilbao is the best part so far, but is challenging.
Then head to the other end of the trail.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I might go back and do those days, I love that coast. I'm going to Santander soon and walking on to the Lebaniego/Vadiniese. I'm looking forward to the few stages of the Norte along the Coast.

I will be doing my first Camino in a few weeks, on the Camino Del Norte. I only have 10 days and plan to experience a bit of the coast line, reach an intermediate point by bus and then reach Santiago de Compostelle by foot.

I am planning to arrive in Bilbao and here is my question, knowing that I want to experience the most scenic walk possible on the coast for the first part.

Should I take a bus to Bilbao-Irun to start from Irun or the landscapes are equally interesting starting from Bilbao and going west?

Summarizing my question, is there an area on the coast line that more worth it than another? I can see some people are also starting from Santander. I am also aware that the beginning from Irun is a bit steeper, but I am good with it.

Olivier
Walked from Bilbao to Ribadessela and La Isla mid July and loved it .Pobena , to Islares ,...... Laredo ( Convent. )....Guemes Hostel do not miss ,very famous on all Camino Hostels
..Santillana del Mar ,( Convent ) .. ....Santander ......then
......Hotel /Hostel Playa del Maron just before San Vincent de Barquere..then my favourite place Llanes , beautiful beach and safe , mediaeval town. Best Pilgrims meal Restaurant Europa ...Llanes Hostel lovely Paula manageress so helpful . .....

Olivier

Some would argue that the “beginning” is actually in Bayonne…
want to experience the most scenic walk possible on the coast for the first part.
When I walked the Norte I started in Irun and last year I did the Vasco and started in Bayonne. I would start in Bayonne also. The first section from Irun is absolutely beautiful. It also was the most difficult. I wish I would have started my Norte in Bayonne as it would have given me a couple of warm up days. I always have felt training for a camino is great but you can't recreate (at least I feel this way) what you do on the Camino. I have always found it tougher than my training when you are walking a camino like the Norte.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’d begin in Asturias rather than Cantabria. So much road walking in Cantabria nowadays.

In Cantabria, If you want to take the bus to Portugalete from Bilbao that gets you to the ocean front quicker. You could walk to playa Arena/Pobeña the first day out.

If you take the Metro train from old town Bilbao to Portugalete it is a short walk west to the river where you can cross on the amazing hanging/moving bridge, high up or low down. (from the 1890s, as I recall) On the direct way you pass an equally amazing panateria. I've walked from Bilbao to Portugalete on each side of the river and don't recommend either one unless you want to experience the nitty gritty of Spain's 3rd largest city. But enjoy Casa Vieja Bilbao first. Buen Camino

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I did the Camino del Norte on a bike last month, starting from Irun. In my opinion Camino del Norte is different from Camino da Costa. From Irun to Ribadeo when you deffinetely leave to coast to enter Galicia thereisn´t any specif part most beautiful. This entire route is amazing . Sometimes following the CN you leave the coast in some parts, where you visist some magnificient cities like Guernika, Santillana del Mar, etc...I would recommend you to split the Camino and start from Irun until and enjoy the 10 days you have in fisrt part of CN. Don´t skip any part.
I did de CF and I think the CN has most beautiful landscapes, views, etc. I´t s harder , but worth .

I have also walked on both sides, and the north side was much more enjoyable!
Completely agree! The north side follows a path along the river for most of the way plus passes by cafes and stores occasionally. Certainly not the most beautiful part of the Norte, but the best of the three post-Bilbao choices.

Completely agree! The north side follows a path along the river for most of the way plus passes by cafes and stores occasionally. Certainly not the most beautiful part of the Norte, but the best of the three post-Bilbao choices.
Last year I walked on the South Side and challenged myself with the game I called "Spot the Yellow Arrows in the Graffiti."

1000034275.jpg

1000034273.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I started from San Sebastián and as every other person says, the first stretch until you reach Bilbao is definitely challenging, but very beautiful. From Portugalete onward is also nice, definitely easier walking through Cantabria and Asturias. It’s all beautiful except some of the slogs in and out of cities!

Most read last week in this forum

After a peaceful night at the beautiful Blai Blai Hostel in Zarautz, we were all awakened at 5:00am by a young man repacking his huge pack, in the middle of the floor, with his bunk light on...
I’m fairly new to this forum and it has been VERY helpful preparing me and answering a multitude of questions prior to my 1st Camino. Currently, I have just completed Day 14 of the Norte which...
This is just a shot in the dark but if anyone starting on the Del Norte finds a New Zealand passport lost today (Saturday 14th September between Hendaye and Sebastian, please PM message me and...
I saw that someone mentioned recently having walked from Santander to Liencres on a coastal route. I am here in Santander and would like to take that route. I’m brand new to the Camino and to...
At CSJ Alberque San Martin de Miraz. If yours, contact hospitaleros on 0034-982-830700 with your name and date if visit (from pilgrim passport) and we will arrange return.
I am currently walking the Camino del Norte and seem to have dropped a small brown sunglass case with sunglass clip inside. Somewhere between Castro-Urdiales and Laredo, by way of Liendo. It is in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back