• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camiño de Taverneiro - a newly recovered route through Galicia

Wendy Werneth

Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
In July/August 2024, I walked the Camiño de Taverneiro, which is a 130-kilometre route through Galicia. It is an historical route but has only recently been rediscovered and waymarked, and, since I've seen very little information about it on this forum, I thought I would share my experience here.

The Taverneiro is a beautiful Camino that passes through some stretches of wild, rugged scenery, in addition to picturesque villages and the occasional town. It does not pass through any cities, and it feels very rural most of the way. There are some stretches of road walking, but this was on very quiet roads, and the Amigos do Camiño de Ignacio Taverneiro -- the association promoting the Camino -- is working to divert these stretches to dirt/stone paths where possible.

Pilgrims are very much a novelty on this route, and the locals were incredibly welcoming and hospitable. I'm sure that what I will remember most about this Camino are the wonderful local people I met along the way. That said, there is very little pilgrim traffic, so you should walk this Camino only if you are comfortable with not meeting any other pilgrims.

The starting point of the Taverneiro is the town of Salvaterra de Miño, which has an impressive fortress and, as you might expect, sits on the shores of the Miño River. I actually started in Monção, Portugal, a half-hour walk south on the other side of the river, because I did not find any accommodation in Salvaterra. Monção is quite lovely, so I recommend taking some time to explore it while you're in the area, regardless of where you end up sleeping.

This lack of accommodation was a recurring theme and was definitely the biggest challenge when planning this Camino. It should be a bit easier/less expensive outside of the July/August peak tourist season, but even then there aren't that many options, so I definitely recommend booking all accommodation in advance. In the end, everything worked out fine, thanks in part to the help I received from very hospitable locals, and on average I only paid 25 euros per night on my six-day Camino.

In the village of Codeseda, 41 kilometres from Santiago, the Taverneiro connects with the Camiño da Geira e dos Arrieiros, In fact, Carlos da Barreira, who is from Codeseda and was instrumental in getting the Geira off the ground, is also the president of the association promoting the Taverneiro.

I won't go into too many details about the logistics, as you can find that information on the association's website, which is available only in Galego but can easily be translated with the help of a web browser. There is a paperback guidebook, which is currently also only in Galego, though there are plans to translate it to other languages once it has been updated, as the Camino is a work in progress and some things are still in flux. I have volunteered to translate it to English once it's ready.

@jungleboy and I will also be releasing an episode about the Taverneiro on the Spirit of the Camino podcast, where I will talk more about the highlights and offer some planning tips, so keep an eye out for that wherever you listen to podcasts. We have already recorded the episode, but it may be a few weeks before it's available, as @jungleboy is currently travelling, and he handles all the editing and other technical aspects of the podcast.

One thing I forgot to mention when recording the podcast is the availability of water. Generally, there were plenty of fountains, but there was one remote stretch just after Ponte Caldelas when I very nearly ran out of water. Granted, it got up to an unusually hot 33 degrees Celsius that day, so in cooler conditions it probably wouldn't be an issue.

In summary, I highly recommend this route for intrepid, experienced pilgrims looking for a new Camino, and I'm happy to answer any questions about it here. Also, don't hesitate to contact Carlos da Barreira through the contact details provided on the website. I've no doubt that he will go out of his way to help any pilgrim who wants to walk the Taverneiro.

Bo Camiño!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wendy, is great to hear from you and Laurie on the Forum. I miss our much too seldom meet-ups in Lisbon. I have all moved on and back to Florida. How are you and Nick finding Rome? I wish my disabled foot allowed me to try out routes like this one and the Fisherman's Trail. My Camino days are over except for volunteering as a hospi, alas.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In July/August 2024, I walked the Camiño de Taverneiro, which is a 130-kilometre route through Galicia. It is an historical route but has only recently been rediscovered and waymarked, and, since I've seen very little information about it on this forum, I thought I would share my experience here.
Just came back from the Invierno and loved it - and now there's an even less trodden way? Need to check this out! A big thank you!

and now there's an even less trodden way?
If you loved the Invierno and are interested in the Taverneiro, you will probably also love the Geira e dos Arrieros, which Wendy mentioned and has also walked. That route is also through northern Portugal, beautiful, and totally untraveled. Several of us have walked that route and the forum has a sub-forum devoted entirely to the Geira. It starts in Braga and goes through Portugal’s only national park. There are just way too many caminhos and caminos out there!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wendy, is great to hear from you and Laurie on the Forum. I miss our much too seldom meet-ups in Lisbon. I have all moved on and back to Florida. How are you and Nick finding Rome? I wish my disabled foot allowed me to try out routes like this one and the Fisherman's Trail. My Camino days are over except for volunteering as a hospi, alas.
Nick and I are very happy to be in Rome, even though it's taking much longer than we anticipated to get settled in. But it's where we belong, and moving here was the right decision for us.

I hope that you are enjoying life where you are, and that you can continue to enjoy the Camino vicariously, either as an hospitalero or here on the forum.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
I so much admire those of you on this forum who speak fluent Spanish Portuguese (and Gallego😉, Wendy), but are also true trailblazers and adventurers of little known caminos. I am neither of those things, so this very interesting sounding route is definitely beyond my comfort zone.

Last edited:
Great idea, Wendy. If it’s not too much trouble, could you list the places you stayed?
Yes, sure. Here goes:

Ponteareas - Habitación Centro Pontereas - booked on Booking.com, 30 euros

Moscoco - stayed in a private house of a villager, arranged through Carlos via Ivan who works at the Concello in nearby Pazos de Borbén

Carballedo - I stayed in the pavillón (gymnasium), but there is a brand-new albergue that should be open by now

A Estrada - Hotel A Estrada Rooms - booked on Booking.com, 43 euros

Couso - albergue, 15 euros is the suggested donation

Nick and I are very happy to be in Rome, even though it's taking much longer than we anticipated to get settled in. But it's where we belong, and moving here was the right decision for us.

I hope that you are enjoying life where you are, and that you can continue to enjoy the Camino vicariously, either as an hospitalero or here on the forum.
Great to hear. Moving and settling in is such a pain, just ask this expert!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So very exciting!!!! And FIFTEEN Petos de Animas! Is this the motherlode???
Yes, I remember stopping to admire quite a few of them. If I hadn't had the guidebook, I probably would have walked right past some of them, but when I stopped to look they had some interesting details. Lots of souls in purgatory surrounded by flames.

1000049752.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, sure. Here goes:

Ponteareas - Habitación Centro Pontereas - booked on Booking.com, 30 euros

Moscoco - stayed in a private house of a villager, arranged through Carlos via Ivan who works at the Concello in nearby Pazos de Borbén

Carballedo - I stayed in the pavillón (gymnasium), but there is a brand-new albergue that should be open by now

A Estrada - Hotel A Estrada Rooms - booked on Booking.com, 43 euros

Couso - albergue, 15 euros is the suggested donation
I'm off on the Geira (again!) in a couple of weeks, but I've already made provisional plans to walk from Salvaterra in October. The albergue in Carballedo is hopefully going to be open, and I will stop in Pedre and (of course) in Codeseda and A Estrada.

Nearer to the date I may ask you for more information about the private house in Moscoso. I had been thinking of Ponte Caldelas, but that would mean a 35 km stage from Ponteareas.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm off on the Geira (again!) in a couple of weeks, but I've already made provisional plans to walk from Salvaterra in October. The albergue in Carballedo is hopefully going to be open, and I will stop in Pedre and (of course) in Codeseda and A Estrada.

Nearer to the date I may ask you for more information about the private house in Moscoso. I had been thinking of Ponte Caldelas, but that would mean a 35 km stage from Ponteareas.
That's great that you will walk the Taverneiro! I'm happy to help however I can. I don't think it would be appropriate for me to share the contact of the person who hosted me, but I could put you in touch with Ivan from the Concello in Pazos de Borbén, who is the one who organized it. Hopefully he could arrange something similar, with the same host or another villager.

That's great that you will walk the Taverneiro! I'm happy to help however I can. I don't think it would be appropriate for me to share the contact of the person who hosted me, but I could put you in touch with Ivan from the Concello in Pazos de Borbén, who is the one who organized it. Hopefully he could arrange something similar, with the same host or another villager.
Thanks, Wendy! I would appreciate the contact number of Ivan in Pazos de Borbén, but there's no rush. First the Geira from Braga, then back home to Salamanca, and then back up to my querido Galicia!

Yes, I remember stopping to admire quite a few of them. If I hadn't had the guidebook, I probably would have walked right past some of them, but when I stopped to look they had some interesting details. Lots of souls in purgatory surrounded by flames.
I'm fascinated by those petos de animas. I didn't realize that it was a particularly Galician thing. You see one when you walk into Santiago along the Camino Frances at the Capilla de Animas, and I did a drawing of it. A first I thought that the souls were being punished in purgatory, but it was explained to me that it is a fire of purification that is part of the process to prepare you for heaven. At least that was my understanding.

Now that I know there are lots more of them I'll have to think about tracking these things down the next time I'm in Galicia, perhaps on this Taverneiro route. Thanks for the extra project!

AC7FC31D-A0C1-45D0-A51B-2838961A2557_1_105_c.jpeg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
🙏

I'm fascinated by those petos de animas. I didn't realize that it was a particularly Galician thing. You see one when you walk into Santiago along the Camino Frances at the Capilla de Animas, and I did a drawing of it. A first I thought that the souls were being punished in purgatory, but it was explained to me that it is a fire of purification that is part of the process to prepare you for heaven. At least that was my understanding.

Now that I know there are lots more of them I'll have to think about tracking these things down the next time I'm in Galicia, perhaps on this Taverneiro route. Thanks for the extra project!

View attachment 176708
What a cool drawing! Yes, I believe that petos de ánimas are specific to Galicia. They are typically found at crossroads or on well-traveled paths, which explains why they are often seen on Caminos. They are alms boxes where passers-by can make an offering and pray for souls in purgatory. Often unassuming stone structures on the outside, if you peek through the grid you can see artwork like in the photo I posted above.

I had not heard that about the fire of purification. Very interesting! I was always a bit confused about why the souls would be burning if they were in purgatory and not in hell, but I am not Catholic, so I don't have a very clear idea of what purgatory is supposed to be like.

I love the two photos of the artistic "petos de animas" on this thread. I have walked several Caminos that have passed through Galicia and never noticed any. Being a slow walker who takes in my surroundings, I am surprised I missed seeing any of them, and wonder how many there are.🤔
I'm back in Galicia in a month and will watch out to hopefully see one or two of them.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

The Taverneiro is a beautiful Camino that passes through some stretches of wild, rugged scenery, in addition to picturesque villages and the occasional town. It does not pass through any cities, and it feels very rural most of the way. There are some stretches of road walking, but this was on very quiet roads, and the Amigos do Camiño de Ignacio Taverneiro -- the association promoting the Camino -- is working to divert these stretches to dirt/stone paths where possible.

Pilgrims are very much a novelty on this route, and the locals were incredibly welcoming and hospitable. I'm sure that what I will remember most about this Camino are the wonderful local people I met along the way. That said, there is very little pilgrim traffic, so you should walk this Camino only if you are comfortable with not meeting any other pilgrims.

The starting point of the Taverneiro is the town of Salvaterra de Miño, which has an impressive fortress and, as you might expect, sits on the shores of the Miño River. I actually started in Monção, Portugal, a half-hour walk south on the other side of the river, because I did not find any accommodation in Salvaterra. Monção is quite lovely, so I recommend taking some time to explore it while you're in the area, regardless of where you end up sleeping.

This lack of accommodation was a recurring theme and was definitely the biggest challenge when planning this Camino. It should be a bit easier/less expensive outside of the July/August peak tourist season, but even then there aren't that many options, so I definitely recommend booking all accommodation in advance. In the end, everything worked out fine, thanks in part to the help I received from very hospitable locals, and on average I only paid 25 euros per night on my six-day Camino.

In the village of Codeseda, 41 kilometres from Santiago, the Taverneiro connects with the Camiño da Geira e dos Arrieiros, In fact, Carlos da Barreira, who is from Codeseda and was instrumental in getting the Geira off the ground, is also the president of the association promoting the Taverneiro.

I won't go into too many details about the logistics, as you can find that information on the association's website, which is available only in Galego but can easily be translated with the help of a web browser. There is a paperback guidebook, which is currently also only in Galego, though there are plans to translate it to other languages once it has been updated, as the Camino is a work in progress and some things are still in flux. I have volunteered to translate it to English once it's ready.

@jungleboy and I will also be releasing an episode about the Taverneiro on the Spirit of the Camino podcast, where I will talk more about the highlights and offer some planning tips, so keep an eye out for that wherever you listen to podcasts. We have already recorded the episode, but it may be a few weeks before it's available, as @jungleboy is currently travelling, and he handles all the editing and other technical aspects of the podcast.

One thing I forgot to mention when recording the podcast is the availability of water. Generally, there were plenty of fountains, but there was one remote stretch just after Ponte Caldelas when I very nearly ran out of water. Granted, it got up to an unusually hot 33 degrees Celsius that day, so in cooler conditions it probably wouldn't be an issue.

In summary, I highly recommend this route for intrepid, experienced pilgrims looking for a new Camino, and I'm happy to answer any questions about it here. Also, don't hesitate to contact Carlos da Barreira through the contact details provided on the website. I've no doubt that he will go out of his way to help any pilgrim who wants to walk the Taverneiro.

Bo Camiño!
With the Camino Francés becoming increasingly crowded each year it is always inspiring to hear about other options and this Camiño de Taverneiro sounds WONDERFUL for a shorter hike. I recently walked the 270km Camino del Invierno as part of a newspaper travel story (technically from Ponferrada, although I extended slightly by starting in Astorga) and I was blown away by the beauty of the route, along with the solitude. In 2022 I walked from Gibraltar (not technically on a Camino) to Estaca de Bares (ditto) for my latest book 'Vagabond' and it was fascinating to link several separate Camino routes along the way. Anyway, thanks for the indepth Taverneiro outline - something to look forward to next time!

The podcast is now live - better late than never! Web link here or search for Spirit of the Camino wherever you get your podcasts.

Our final episode for this season is an epic one as Wendy recounts her solo pilgrimage on the little-known Camiño de Taverneiro in Galicia. Spoiler alert: the spirit of the camino shines brightly on this route. Bo camiño!

CamiñodeTaverneiro.jpeg

Most read last week in this forum

I'm just back from walking the Ruta del Padre Sarmiento, and wanted to give a summary of the stages and the general conditions for those who might be interested in walking it in the future...
If you like rugged coastal walking there is no better 7 day walk in Spain than the Galicia Camino de Faros (lighthouses). Tougher than any Camino I have ever done but spectacularly beautiful. And...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back