• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Camino de Girona/Català Fall 2024

setmeravelles

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Català-Ebro-Castellano Aragonés Fall 2024
Here I am in Figueres, on the Camino de Girona, after finally deciding on this year’s Camino after lots of issues with plans falling apart for other Caminos. I’ll be continuing on in Montserrat on the Zaragoza variant of the Camino, saving the Huesca one for another time.

I won’t post daily most likely, but I will try to give updates or mention things that could be useful.

I arrived to Llança via train from Girona, the same one that starts in Barcelona. Being a September weekday it was kind of dead, and the port restaurants pretty expensive. I stayed near the tourist office in Gran Sol, which had a lovely huge dog who was complaining about the heat. I spent some time backpack free on GR 92 along the coast.

Friday I woke up, went to find breakfast and then started about 740. It’s a long, hard climb up to Sant Pere de Rodes (which will also be a long hard way down. Not quite as difficult as San Juan de la Peña from Jaca and down to Santa Cecelia on the Aragonés, but what is? It was worth it. With my luck I arrived just as a tourist bus did…still an amazing place.

Long, steep beautiful descent into Pau. Pau has a restaurant that opens around 1 pm but nothing else this Friday. Vilajuïga has a few options for food and coffee. I missed Pension Xavi, so not sure if it’s still an option to sleep. I just didn’t see it if it was there. I caught the bus to Figueres where I am spending two nights.

I later took the train back to Vilajuïga. This etapa (or second part of a long first day) was pleasant but nothing special. It’s almost entirely road walking or paved farm tracks, and for a Saturday there was traffic. Pedrat didn’t have anything, Mansa had a Civic Centro bar, Perelada has a few more options. I got there at the same time as the tourist bus again! I stopped in Vilabertran for coffee. I liked Vilabertran more than I thought I would, and it’s just 1.7 more to Figueres city limits on a gravel path.

Teatre Museu Dalí was so packed I couldn’t see anything…I ended up walking more this afternoon to visit the Castell Sant Ferran, which I must recommend. Huge castle and fortress a km or so above the town.

At Pensió Bartis, 35€ single with bath. Basic but clean and near the bus and regular train station. Perfect for a peregrino or peregrina.

GR 11 from Llança to Sant Pere is well marked, and so is the Camino from there so far. I haven’t seen an arrow in Figueres yet though…it’s marked on mapy.cz and I have a few Wikilocs so not too worried.

I’m glad I split it into two starting out.

Attachments

• IMG_5501.jpeg
    IMG_5501.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 15
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I will be reading your reports with lots of interest because this camino is on my priority camino list. Thank you for all the useful details.

Bo cami! (Is this the correct catala version?)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Here I am in Figueres, on the Camino de Girona, after finally deciding on this year’s Camino after lots of issues with plans falling apart for other Caminos. I’ll be continuing on in Montserrat on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back