• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

call costs to UK roaming mobile

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Hi - I cannot find the answer to my question anywhere so .. does anyone know what it costs in Spain to phone a roaming UK mobile from a Spanish sim mobile?

With a UK mobile in the EU we get free roaming, which means that all calls and texts come off the UK plan allowance, no extra charge, and this is the same for Spanish phones phoning our phone, no charge to us.

What I would like to know is what, if any, extra charge there is to the owner of a mobile with a Spanish sim to phone that UK roaming mobile.

Sure, one still has to put the country code in (+44) but as it is roaming my assumption is that a Spanish mobile would treat it as a Spanish phone when it came to charges, as in, no extra charge to make the call.

May seem an odd question but when I return early September to do my first aid thing I will be using my car (walking days have ended now, sadly) - and will be campsite based 1 km west of Irache wine fountain - will probably hang out from very early at the wine fountain, where pilgrims stop, visit various refugios later on, etc - but, I would easily be able to drive to someone needing help, say, anywhere from Roncesvalles to Logrono, even take them somewhere such as a hospital (and four passenger seats in the car so could include friends) ... magnetic first aid signs on my car ... first aid cards to hand out, a pilgrim meets someone in need two days downstream and phones me? - you can see how it could work.

Best plan for me is to add a second sim to my Smarty plan, as is super cheap, and my phone has two sim slots .. but I don't want any possible callers to rack up costs to talk to me ... assuming that any calls could be from Spanish landlines, Spanish sims (bought on day one by pilgrims), UK roaming sims (no problem there) and even sims from other countries ...

Anyone know? Thanks

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just had a quick look at some Spanish Vodafone plans and it looks like they all include a certain number of international minutes, so I don't think it will be a major problem. Of course, every contract and tariff is different, so those with sims from other countries may have to pay.

Thanks Molly that is helpful ... I just feel that a UK phone on roaming in Spain might be considered to be the same as a Spanish phone, no charge. Maybe I am worrying over nothing? Anyone phoning would be a short call I should think.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Hi there. Don’t know the answer…sorry, but unless I am misunderstandin your comment, I don’t think all UK mobile contracts offer free EU roaming. In fact very few do? Hopefully yours does!!!

Yes, thanks. I am with Smarty so when roaming all calls and texts, sent or received, come under the plan, no extra charges, plus 12GB data.
Incidentally, Smarty is the best! Rolling 30 day sim only contracts so leave any time. There are lots of plans but mine is 16GB data plus unlimited calls and texts, for £8 a month!

I could have a plan with more data but don't need it. ie: even unlimited data (and unlimited calls and texts) is only £20. They also run a 'friends and family' thing where if there is more than one sim registered, brought in, all plans get 10% off.

Smarty runs on the 3 network so great coverage. I really do recommend it - https://smarty.co.uk/

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, thanks. I am with Smarty so when roaming all calls and texts, sent or received, come under the plan, no extra charges, plus 12GB data.
Incidentally, Smarty is the best! Rolling 30 day sim only contracts so leave any time. There are lots of plans but mine is 16GB data plus unlimited calls and texts, for £8 a month!

I could have a plan with more data but don't need it. ie: even unlimited data (and unlimited calls and texts) is only £20. They also run a 'friends and family' thing where if there is more than one sim registered, brought in, all plans get 10% off.

Smarty runs on the 3 network so great coverage. I really do recommend it - https://smarty.co.uk/
Thank you! Sounds good. I am with O2 and have a good deal with roaming but am looking to drive the cost down when the contract expires. Thank you for the recommendation!

Hi - I cannot find the answer to my question anywhere so .. does anyone know what it costs in Spain to phone a roaming UK mobile from a Spanish sim mobile?

With a UK mobile in the EU we get free roaming, which means that all calls and texts come off the UK plan allowance, no extra charge, and this is the same for Spanish phones phoning our phone, no charge to us.

What I would like to know is what, if any, extra charge there is to the owner of a mobile with a Spanish sim to phone that UK roaming mobile.

Sure, one still has to put the country code in (+44) but as it is roaming my assumption is that a Spanish mobile would treat it as a Spanish phone when it came to charges, as in, no extra charge to make the call.

May seem an odd question but when I return early September to do my first aid thing I will be using my car (walking days have ended now, sadly) - and will be campsite based 1 km west of Irache wine fountain - will probably hang out from very early at the wine fountain, where pilgrims stop, visit various refugios later on, etc - but, I would easily be able to drive to someone needing help, say, anywhere from Roncesvalles to Logrono, even take them somewhere such as a hospital (and four passenger seats in the car so could include friends) ... magnetic first aid signs on my car ... first aid cards to hand out, a pilgrim meets someone in need two days downstream and phones me? - you can see how it could work.

Best plan for me is to add a second sim to my Smarty plan, as is super cheap, and my phone has two sim slots .. but I don't want any possible callers to rack up costs to talk to me ... assuming that any calls could be from Spanish landlines, Spanish sims (bought on day one by pilgrims), UK roaming sims (no problem there) and even sims from other countries ...

Anyone know? Thanks
Are there any phone shops left near you? My experience is the young people behind the smallest counters know how to help...

I will also say, having thought about it, even when we had free roaming on all UK contracts and within the EU, I was still charged international rates to call a foreign number from my home country. I think this is still the case within the EU.
So, if I was in the UK and phoned a Spanish number on my UK phone, I paid international rates, but if I used my Irish phone (from the UK) it was free, and vice versa - if I made international calls from my UK mobile while in Ireland it was free, but if I used the Irish phone I paid international rates.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I will also say, having thought about it, even when we had free roaming on all UK contracts and within the EU, I was still charged international rates to call a foreign number from my home country. I think this is still the case within the EU.
So, if I was in the UK and phoned a Spanish number on my UK phone, I paid international rates, but if I used my Irish phone (from the UK) it was free, and vice versa - if I made international calls from my UK mobile while in Ireland it was free, but if I used the Irish phone I paid international rates.

Yes, exactly so, unless actually roaming in the EU international calls made from home pack the full rate.

Yes, exactly so, unless actually roaming in the EU international calls made from home pack the full rate.
So, any Spanish pilgrim calling your UK number would be subject to international fees (unless they have international minutes included).

So, any Spanish pilgrim calling your UK number would be subject to international fees (unless they have international minutes included).

I don't know, yours might be a guess - but I think that a phone roaming and using the Spanish providers (as it does) would be recognised as a Spanish phone for charging purposes. A Spanish mobile connecting to a roaming phone that is currently on Movistar for instance so is the same as the Spanish phone? (Oh, I think I may have just answered my own question 😂).

As a note, I have been doing first aid on Camino since 2006 and am yet to treat one Spanish pilgrim! They look after themselves, even when I see them doing a blister fix and ask them if I can help - I think it may be because they are 'at home'? I don't know - so I was really thinking about non-Spanish pilgrims who have bought a Spanish sim on arrival.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The short answer to your question is no.

The long answer is for any mobile user, when roaming, you pay the cost of the international leg of the call, ie, if your phone is registered in the UK and you're in Spain, you are responsible for the cost of the call from the UK, regardless of where the call originates (whether within the UK or outside of it - even if the caller was in the country in which you are roaming)

Obviously, included roaming packages negate the charge.

Most read last week in this forum

This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...
Hola, todos. When I first attempted the Camino in 2001 I caried a (UK) CSJ guidebook. Light and very useful to find the right path and next albergue. Now I'm looking to return to finish...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.