• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

By choice or dealing with the unexpected: how to sleep outside???

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2017
Viejo/Olvidado/Invierno Oct/Nov 2024
With all this discussion about crowded hostels, lack of vacancies or even by choice, in short, regardless of the reason: does anyone have experience and tips for sleeping without accommodation?!

Where to sleep, what precautions to take, just a sleeping bag or some other equipment, asking locals for recommendations on where to sleep. Church doors... how to deal with a situation or option of sleeping without accommodation?!

I don't plan this situation but if it were to occur, I would like to know the best way to do it.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
I have occasionally slept outdoors through choice - mostly on the longer stages of less travelled routes like the Via de la Plata. If I think that is likely then I carry a bivi bag and a short self-inflating sleeping mat in addition to the sleeping bag which I would have anyway. I carry a lightweight bivi bag on all my long-distance walks to give me the option of sleeping outdoors or to add a little extra warmth in cold albergues. So far I have never had to use it because of a shortage of beds but most of my Camino walking these days is in winter when numbers are very small anyway and the chances of finding a 'completo' albergue are slim.

As for church doors - I would not try that solo. Far safer to find an isolated and concealed spot in the countryside well away from towns and villages. The main hazards for people sleeping outdoors in Spain are likely to be other people.

Whilst unlikely to occur on any of the main camino routes, anything is of course a possibility. Normally I would simply ask at the nearest bar for suggestions, worst case get a taxi elsewhere.

That said you ask how would I deal with it. Whilst I've never done it on Camino, in my traveling years I frequently 'emergency camped '. My sole equipment was my sleeping bag and an emergency blanket. The latter I used as a groundsheet. Nowadays I'd probably add my mosquito net to the mix (head net, tiny, weighs 37 grams and is always with me anyway). Ditto my poncho - dark blue, nice and stealthy!

I never slept in a church doorway, rather in some sheltered slightly out of the way area. (Of course if you found one with a nice shady portico on the edge of town it might be ideal)
I've slept under Bridges, in an abandoned goat shed (I swept it out with dried grass first!) plenty of abandoned buildings - mainly old sheds in various stages of repair - under boats, and, more likely in Spain, picnic tables.

I occasionally got bitten by mosquitoes etc, and once a bunch of youth arrived to sit down and share some beers at the picnic table I was sheltering under at 2am (I startled the hell out of them when I arose from the depths), but other than that I've had no issues.

My general rule of thumb is to look for somewhere that is relatively quiet and there's not too much litter. Litter = people. As of course do well-beaten paths.

Going just a few meters into the bushes from a well-beaten path into the shadows, preferably up against a wall (and if there's any possibility of precipitation with some kind of roof) will see you sorted. Anything you can find to help make you more comfortable is a bonus - (dry) cardboard for example is brilliant. However, if you can get out of town you're better off, as @Bradypus point's out.

If you really want to prep for it, consider a bivvy bag and mat as @Bradypus says.

But frankly, unless it's something you really want to try - I'd just plan to call a taxi.

If, on the other hand, you plan to do one of the routes in France, then I would take a lightweight tent, a warmer sleeping bag and a proper sleeping mat rather than just a short variant. It's exactly what I have just packed - Lanshan 1 Pro, sleeping mat and sleeping bag together come in under 2 kgs. But opportunities for camping in Spain and Portugal are significantly more limited (although some happily do it, and I may very well too when I get there). But that's a whole different story.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Yes, I’ve often slept outdoors, sometimes by necessity, more often by choice. I’ve used a sleeping bag and mat, a light bivi bag and an ultralight tarp. A walking pole can be used to prop the tarp up, and some paracord to tie the corners to a tree or gate. Anywhere well away from houses and dogs will serve, but my preferred sites are olive groves or light woodland. I always leave as soon as it’s light the following morning, and have never attracted any unwanted attention. Don’t light a fire, and do remove all traces of your presence. Best of luck!

For survival reasons; sleep with your clothes on, make sure you can unzip your sleeping bag very fast or leave it open. See if there is an escape route or save space when it is stil light. Have your head light by hand to blind somebody and get the chance to get on your feet. If you have a knife and are not afraid and able to use it, it is handy to have close. Ik you are afraid or do not know how to use it, leave it some where save to avoid accidents.
And at last, people that harras you will be drunk youngsters (not a real problem) or a robber, so have some money by hand, or your wallet with a little money to throw at them, that will keep them occupied and an opportunity to run away.
But, first survival lesson:
Do not end up in a survival situation

Till now, I've never camped or carried a tent. This year, however, I am doing little travelled caminos in France and I am very glad I brought a tent, because otherwise I would have to knock and ask local people. (I've met people who do that but to me it seems a bit presumptious.)
Like today, for example, or tommorrow.
It is far easier to do that in France where there are small municipal camping sites, small private camping sites, farms which have a small camping place. And where alternative accommodation (to gites d'etapes) is quite a bit expensive.
I'm not sure I would do the same in Spain, it has far less camping sites and the alternative accommodation is usually more affordable.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I took a tent while on camino and VF in France- like caminka above it made life alot easier there! In Spain I am unlike to carry a tent.
However I never go on a hike without an emergency bivvy bag (the local mountain rescue volunteers would go thru me if I did) which is always there if I am left without options - not the most comfy option!
But if I was planning to do some sleeping out - on a less travelled route for instance -the bivvy bag and a mat of some description would be the basics, and possibly a small tarp that I have already. Unless in a group I wouldn't be sleeping as a solo woman in a church porch (except maybe a remote chapel), and would be looking for a well hidden spot.

Truthfully, on the CF the more logical conclusion is to book accommodation, take a taxi, or try to get out of a bubble of pilgrims.

Last edited:
I see you intend to be on the Camino in October/November - not the best time to be sleeping outside,
When I was (much) younger I used a gore-tex bivvy bag (ex-British Army and still going strong), a 3 season sleeping bag and a sleep mat to insulate you from the ground and would still wake up cold at 4am - even in summer.
If you must then another thing to watch out for is areas that previous pilgrims have used as a toilet - usually denoted by numerous pieces of toilet tissue.
Quite honestly, considering the time of year and the bulk/weight of the equipment you'd need I'd opt for a taxi to the nearest hostal!

Edit: just checked my bivvy bag - it's over 800g. That's a fair amount to haul for a "just-in-case" scenario.

Last edited:
One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
For survival reasons; sleep with your clothes on, make sure you can unzip your sleeping bag very fast or leave it open. See if there is an escape route or save space when it is stil light. Have your head light by hand to blind somebody and get the chance to get on your feet. If you have a knife and are not afraid and able to use it, it is handy to have close. Ik you are afraid or do not know how to use it, leave it some where save to avoid accidents.
And at last, people that harras you will be drunk youngsters (not a real problem) or a robber, so have some money by hand, or your wallet with a little money to throw at them, that will keep them occupied and an opportunity to run away.
You are seriously suggesting getting into a knife fight? Really?

I've walked the Camino and traveling throughout Europe without reservations. In almost all cases when the Albergue or small hotel was full, the owner often made Herculean efforts to find a place for me. Sometimes it took several phone calls or even walking down the street to the next hotel.

Don't worry! You will find a place! It may not be your first choice, but good enough for one night. This is where the best travel stories are born!

-Paul

Hi, I've slept outside in a church entrance and outside a crowded albergue under the stars. Watch the bells. A quarter hour chime followed by the hour chime means 10 bells at 6am... and not much sleep ! My partner camped out with a tent but ditched it. A lightweight bivy bag, sleeping mat and lightweight fly would suffice but on the CF you are spoilt for choice if you de-synch from the Brierly stages.

Just for the record, according to Google searches, wild camping in undesignated camping places is illegal in Spain and subject to fines up to €800. I’m not trying to be the ‘camping policé here, but it’s good to know what the rules are before making choices.
Apparently the enforcement is particularly vigorous along the coastal areas.

I havn't done it but met an extreme low budget peregrino who did it every night on the Francés. He had a hammock for sleeping in the wild but also slept on church porches and in public gardens.
Advice was :-
Set up late.
Leave early.
No fires.

Bivvy,tarp,mat,hammock,sleeping bag,bug net. a tent is too conspicuous and often unusable.

Try to approach your final spot discreetly and avoid any more obvious signs of movement or activity to and from the site. Have all you need eg food and water.

If you look capable and organised local people will equally discreetly ignore you, but many will know you are there, expecting you to be gone next day. Local people will be unhappy if you appear to be a vagrant trying to set up home.

I found better spots near habitation. Where you can easily find patches of common land, often maintained. once the town is quiet you bed down for the night.

Out in the farmland, get downwind of any farms and houses as dogs will know you are about. Olive groves are a good site.

For autumn, nights will be long and cold. This usually entails a good deal more kit and subsequent weight to carry.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Perhaps you can check my resource about camino frances with camping. I did it for someone with a low budget who wishes to bivouac (as it's the more appropriate term) and listed all rest areas and picnic areas (where there are barbeque places and you can light a fire in them) in about 1km range from the camino. This was with the assumption that these are public places and so technically available for bivouac use if needed. Even on a bench or under a table.

I usually carry a light mat cut to my size even in Spain and it has proven useful especially in case of bedbugs when I could camp on a kitchen table, for example.

It's Spain. Not the USA. Relax. Calm down. Sleeping with some clothes on, yes, because at some point you will probably have to climb out of your cosy pit to have a wee. Just be discreet about where you sleep. I managed with a donkey, so just a person should be easy.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I had to sleep outside on my second night on the VdlP last year. I arrived at the first albergue after just 19 Kms and as it wasn't due to open for another 2.5 hours, I decided to carry on for another 28kms to the next village with an albergue. Unfortunately, both of these were full so I thought I'd go on to the next village, 13kms further on, knowing I wouldn't get there until late in the evening.
However, I ran out of effort after about 7kms as I was going up a steep hill. At the same time I happened to pass a small, circular, stone construction, presumably made for hunters and decided to sleep there that night.
I made a bed out of the plastic bags I was carrying and put my towel on them and used my coat for a blanket. It was freezing at night, despite having been 30°c during the day. I hadn't wanted to get my sleeping bag or liner dirty or run the risk of ants getting in there.
You may have seen ants in cartoons, where they carry some unsuspecting character off when they're asleep. I think they're based on the ants in Spain, they're enormous and definitely not something I want in my bedding!

Most read last week in this forum

This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...
Hola, todos. When I first attempted the Camino in 2001 I caried a (UK) CSJ guidebook. Light and very useful to find the right path and next albergue. Now I'm looking to return to finish...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back