• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying comfortable shoes for Hiking or ...?

FoxAdriano

Time of past OR future Camino
Every time
Hi, I have no experience in this area and would like some advice from people who are much more experienced than me and who have already used various technical shoes.I will use them for everything:travelmountainscitieswalks on beaten earth of pathsdusty and red African lands, savannahs, rough terrain, etc.on the planehotelsMy continuous walks or excursions do not last more than a few hours a day, but I will wear the shoes every day and for 24 hours a day.I hope I have made it clear that when I travel I will not change them anymore, if I can.Now I will write something that I cannot do withoutMy budget is about 200 euros. I am not young and I would like to buy a pair of new all-purpose shoes.I will only use them in the summer or in hot and humid countriesA well-known and elegant brandVery comfortableSturdyLightI don't know if a shoe with Goretex or without is better. Surely if Goretex doesn't make the foot sweat too much in the summer or in hot areas like Africa, I would prefer shoes with Goretex. But I'm not an expert and I rely on you who have more experience than me.I would be very grateful if you could write me 1 or 2 precise models useful for me.THANK YOU

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Many thanks for your advice: do you strongly advise against the MOAB SPEED 2 GTX (Goretex) shoe for my travels? Thanks again.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can try googling the name of the place + weather + month, to find out if it tends to be dry or rainy.

For example "Serengeti+weather+october" or things like that. It will help you plan.

Personally, I prefer shoes without goretex, as my feet get too hot with them. If it's cold, I just wear mu normal shoes with thicker socks. If it's wet, I wear gaiters, let them get wet and dry the whole lot at my accommodation later.

You say "I will only use them in the summer or in hot and humid countries".

There is no need for Goretex if you will never wear the shoes in rainy climates.
Sure, you are right. But since it is not possible to know my adventure trips in advance and it is not possible to know if it will rain or if I have to cross streams, for this reason I asked if the Goretex shoe can be + or important for me. But above all I would like to know if a Goretex shoe keeps the foot slightly warmer or much warmer than a non-Gortetex shoe.

You can try googling the name of the place + weather + month, to find out if it tends to be dry or rainy.

For example "Serengeti+weather+october" or things like that. It will help you plan.

Personally, I prefer shoes without goretex, as my feet get too hot with them. If it's cold, I just wear mu normal shoes with thicker socks. If it's wet, I wear gaiters, let them get wet and dry the whole lot at my accommodation later.
OK, I thank you. Can you tell me if it fits well with a wide foot?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On the Camino, I bring Goretex boots for rainy/muddy days and non-Goretex ventilated shoes for all other times.

More than once I have had to change mid-stage between each pair.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello!

in my personal opinion, there is no way of getting around 2 pairs.
One for walking / hiking / exploring and one for lodge / hotel / spare time.
Your feet will be very satisfied!

As of my experience I use: full leather boot for hot and dry countries (Meindl). Tech-fiber boot for mountains / alpine regions (La Sportiva) and low cut trailrunners (Scarpa) for flat / hilly surrounding and city. As second pair I use Teva Universal sandals.

But 200€ as total budget is very ambitious. I'm almost a cheapo, but I never ever would go too cheap on footwear!

HTH

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Hi, I have no experience in this area and would like some advice from people who are much more experienced than me and who have already used various technical shoes.I will use them for everything:travelmountainscitieswalks on beaten earth of pathsdusty and red African lands, savannahs, rough terrain, etc.on the planehotelsMy continuous walks or excursions do not last more than a few hours a day, but I will wear the shoes every day and for 24 hours a day.I hope I have made it clear that when I travel I will not change them anymore, if I can.Now I will write something that I cannot do withoutMy budget is about 200 euros. I am not young and I would like to buy a pair of new all-purpose shoes.I will only use them in the summer or in hot and humid countriesA well-known and elegant brandVery comfortableSturdyLightI don't know if a shoe with Goretex or without is better. Surely if Goretex doesn't make the foot sweat too much in the summer or in hot areas like Africa, I would prefer shoes with Goretex. But I'm not an expert and I rely on you who have more experience than me.I would be very grateful if you could write me 1 or 2 precise models useful for me.THANK YOU
Footwear is a very personal choice as far as fit, etc. One brand may be amazing for one person, and not so much from another. That said, some thoughts to consider:

-No goretex shoes. Minimal upside and they make your feet sweat. Once they’re wet, they’re hard to dry.
-it sounds like you want to travel light, but if you can carry two pairs of shoes, I’d recommend it. The ability of a shoe to dry out completely is very beneficial to prolonging its usable life. Carry two pair and rotate daily - or even maybe one for the day and one for the evenings.
-brands I use/like and find sturdy and comfortable: Hoka, Topo Athletic, Saucony.

Buen Camino!

I have had good luck with Altra Olympus models — high cushion (33mm ?) and wide toe box are the differentiators. The Olympus 4 and 5 are ventilated and definitely not for wet walking without waterproof socks. The Olympus 6 is Gortex-lined.

I would think it depends on your foot. If you have narrow feet the Moab would be a good boot. If you need a wide toe box then I would say Keen or Oboz. If your feet swell maybe a half size bigger in a narrow boor. I prefer a boot that fits my feet and I alternate boot lacing for the days walk. I like and choose boots when I'm in the market.

In 50 yearsworking in the environments you've listed, and active in outdoors, I've perhaps used a dozen brands and 30 pairs of boots. I'm not recommending a single brand or model, becuase all feet are so different, e.g., toe spread, arch, ankle support needed, and comfortable heal pitch. It really has to be what is comfortable TO YOU. You must try them.
Consumer reviews on the REI website can provide useful into to get you started. Generally speaking, leather hikers (not mountain backpacking) may serve you better if you are heavy set or carrying a pack. Leather will be heavier and less breathable than other options. Goretex--or waterproofing--is not a big factor in my boot selections unless intended for use in snow (then i use leather and apply additional wax or oil based sealants). Goretex is probably not needed in the enviroments you list. Trail running type will be less durable in rough terrain, and break down faster. Consider wheather you need ankle support for rough, rocky or uneven surfaces. Also, consider a stiff sole shank or a sole insert.
An all-around, for your conditions you describe, might be a tech fiber/fabric style boot, with a sole shank, or in combination with a stiff sole insert, *such as* the Solomon X Ultra. (I used these on Camino). This style is light weight but sturdy for hiking. Mid-height will give ankle support and help keep out some dirt, sand, and debris. Merrell Moabs are popular and comfortable for knocking around for short periods. (I currently own these and have had multiple pairs) In experience is that Moabs lack support (eg, a weak, flexible sole) and break down quicker compared to other options. Many report that Merrell gortex boots advertised as "water proof" are not.

Hoka Breeze if comfort is your priority and you do not need waterproof
I went to a store to see or try them. But they were not present. The shopkeeper told me that those shoes are more of a walking shoe. Is it true? Do you use them?

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
In 50 yearsworking in the environments you've listed, and active in outdoors, I've perhaps used a dozen brands and 30 pairs of boots. I'm not recommending a single brand or model, becuase all feet are so different, e.g., toe spread, arch, ankle support needed, and comfortable heal pitch.
Thanks for your precious info. I will take your info into serious consideration.
Out of curiosity: I have HOKA Speedgoat, but I use it a little because they are too narrow for my foot. So I thought about buying the Hoka Anacapa Breeze Low because I think they are more comfortable. What do you think about these shoes? Can they be useful for me? Thanks

I have also the wonderful Salomon X Ultra Mid-height. I love them but .... I'd like a low height shoe to use it more often.

Last edited:
On my tenth pair of Hoka Stinson Atr 6!
Non waterproof (take waterproof socks) love them wear them all day every day! Old ones as indoor shoes/ slippers
Good luck with your search!

I went to a store to see or try them. But they were not present. The shopkeeper told me that those shoes are more of a walking shoe. Is it true? Do you use them?
Hello - yes I do have them and bought them specifically for hot weather walking. I have the Hoka Anacapa Breeze boots. I use them for Fell walking in the Lake District of UK, but only if dry. They are well ventilated and not waterproof. So anything other than dry trails and you will get wet. But goretex in hot dry weather is not ideal in my view. Hokas are light weight and I find them very comfortable. But they do run small so essential that you try them for size. But this is true of all boots.

Hoka do other boots that are waterproof, I have them as well. And yes Hoka are perhaps more known for their shoes, trail running Speedgoat for example. So boot options are more limited in comparison.

My previous boots were Miendel Bhutan - perfectly good boot, but my boots of choice are now Hoka for the comfort they provide.

But whatever you go for - correct fit is everything.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wear Topos Mtn Racers for my wide feet. I normally wear 40, but bought 43 and they were comfortable when I walked the Camino last year. I recommend looking for the shoe style “trail runner” because it is good for walking on different surfaces (trail, earth, road). Buen Camino!

Hello - yes I do have them and bought them specifically for hot weather walking. I have the Hoka Anacapa Breeze boots. I use them for Fell walking in the Lake District of UK, but only if dry. They are well ventilated and not waterproof. So anything other than dry trails and you will get wet. But goretex in hot dry weather is not ideal in my view. Hokas are light weight and I find them very comfortable. But they do run small so essential that you try them for size. But this is true of all boots.
I don't want to bore you, sorry but I don't understand if I can use Hoka Anacapa Breeze Low in all those situations that I described in my first post. For example, in the uneven African terrains can they be good? I will scramble them enough. Thank you again.

Hello - it is down to personal choice. The Breeze Low and the Breeze Boots give you same primary benefits - good ventilation, lightweight and vibram soles. My preference for the boots is down to the ankle support they give. On uneven ground and scree slopes I feel more secure in the boots given that I have a weak ankle. For a trail on tracks and good paths the shoes would be fine in my view.

But if I were looking at uneven terrain and scrambling - my choice would be boots.

The only other thing that you might want to consider is dust and sand. If you have this to contend with as well, then the boots would have the edge compared to the shoes.

However - do remember that Hokas are light weight. They are worth considering, but only you can judge if they fully meet the your requirements for the conditions under which you plan to use them and the life you expect out of them.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for your precious info. I will take your info into serious consideration.
Out of curiosity: I have HOKA Speedgoat, but I use it a little because they are too narrow for my foot. So I thought about buying the Hoka Anacapa Breeze Low because I think they are more comfortable. What do you think about these shoes? Can they be useful for me? Thanks

I have also the wonderful Salomon X Ultra Mid-height. I love them but .... I'd like a low height shoe to use it more often.
Maybe try Altras. They have a wider toe box than Hokas. The Olympus model has good cushioning and I’ve won’t it on the Camino. Non-waterproof though, because so-called waterproof shoes really aren’t, unless they’re rain boots. Waterproof shoes I find to make my feet too hot and more prone to blisters.

Moab Speed 2 Vent

Proper Vibram sole, full foot protection, and well-ventilated

My MOAB Speeds developed a bump inside at one of the toes, turned one of my toenails black. I had to find a substitute pair of shoes at the last minute. Otherwise, Speeds are great shoes, good strong soles.

I don't understand if I can use Hoka Anacapa Breeze Low in all those situations that I described in my first post.
No single pair of shoes/boots/sandals will be perfect for all conditions. You didn't mention the Camino de Santiago as one of those situations, and most people walk the Camino for more than a few hours each day.

A tag "foot wear & care" has been placed under the title at the top of this thread. If you click on it, you will find over 1000 threads discussing the topic. Browse a hundred or so of these threads and you will get a good idea of the various considerations for walking the Camino. I doubt that we are the best source of advice for walking on uneven African terrains.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You seem like the type of person that needs to pack at least 5 pairs of footwear....and still won't have all conditions covered.
Take ONE pair of black ASICS running shoes with removable insoles. That's all you'll ever need in any condition.

I don't want to bore you, sorry but I don't understand if I can use Hoka Anacapa Breeze Low in all those situations that I described in my first post. For example, in the uneven African terrains can they be good? I will scramble them enough. Thank you again.
I’ve spent many months in Africa and mostly wore sport sandals. Occasionally my Hoka’s but what are you expecting to do in Africa? Unless you’re hiking Kili or something you certainly don’t need a hiking boot.

I’ve spent many months in Africa and mostly wore sport sandals. Occasionally my Hoka’s but what are you expecting to do in Africa? Unless you’re hiking Kili or something you certainly don’t need a hiking boot.
If I may, can you tell me what sport sandals you use for Africa or which ones you would recommend for walking in those remote lands? I appreciate comfort. Thank you!

If I may, can you tell me what sport sandals you use for Africa or which ones you would recommend for walking in those remote lands? I appreciate comfort. Thank you!
Chacos. I walked the Camino in them as well. Was just travelling for a year and wore them nearly every day.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Dear OP, are you wiser yet?
You seem to be from Italy. A country renowned for style and comfort...
Are you near any outdoor shoe shops? Go, have a chat with experts, try on a few and then head to your online options. And happy wandering.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.