• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Busiest day so far this year at the Santiago pilgrim office

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
When the counter goes even higher tomorrow, you’ll start thinking you’re at the beginning of the almost-back-to-school wave
A friend in Santiago said that he had seen a number of large groups today - one with over 100 members - and suggested that it might be Spanish school groups making the most of the vacation period.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
The Compostela counter on the pilgrim office website has reached 3,895 today. The largest figure for a single day since the 2022 Holy Year. Fridays are often the busiest day of the week but this is a remarkable number. Is there some special event or gathering in town this weekend?

View attachment 175876
The Catholic feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary into Heaven is on 15 August. This is a major holiday. But, it is likely too early for that bump in arrivals. I would expect it later this coming week.

No, I assess that we are seeing a season spike in arrivals of pilgrims who were able to walk a Camino over the summer months.

Also, given that absolute number, I would think that a lot of arrivals were in groups, some very large. Over the summer months, this is the usual distribution pattern. As many as half the daily arrivals COULD be in groups.

That said, I am very glad the Pilgrim Office finally opted to include automated efforts to handle the Holy Year surge. This includes online registration before arrival, and laser printing of certificates using excellent calligraphic fonts. This very wise decision is now reaping benefits. As the popularity of pilgrimage increases in the future, this will also be seen as a wise move.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I was wondering if additionally it could be that the Olympics are ending tomorrow, some may have left early to hike? I just can't help but think the Olympics might have something to do with it. LOL

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
When the counter goes even higher tomorrow, you’ll start thinking you’re at the beginning of the almost-back-to-school wave
Seems you were right about "even higher" - the counter seems to have stopped at 4,023 today. An extraordinary number. 7,918 Compostelas issued in just two days. That's 3,000 more than in the entire year of my first Camino. Gobsmacked!

While numbers are high right now at the end of the Frances, numbers last week between Logroño and Burgos told another story — none of the albergues I visited were full, and in one off-stage spot I was the only pilgrim. Far, far fewer people than when I walked the full Frances in late September/October 2023. I had heard this might be the case, but the difference in the number of pilgrims was really striking. If one can deal with the heat - late July/early August may be a great time to walk the earlier stages for those looking for a quieter Frances. Buen Camino!

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
I just had a look at the excellent Solviturambulando Camino statistics site. Looking for a detailed breakdown of yesterday's arrivals by route walked, nationality and starting point. A snapshot of a single very busy day's arrivals. The point which struck me most immediately was how the great majority of yesterday's pilgrims were Spanish. So far this year overall Spanish pilgrims make up about 40% of all those receiving Compostelas but at the moment they are a much larger presence.

Screenshot_20240810-221554~2.png

I was one of today’s arrivals. Got to say the pilgrim office was amazingly efficient. Congratulations to everyone there who thought through the process and made it all so painless.
How long did it take you to get your Compostela?

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Hi everyone, I am interested in the stats for pilgrims starting from Lisbon. All the stats I see seem to include Portuguese interior and coastal, but only from Porto. Can anyone help with this?

I am interested in the stats for pilgrims starting from Lisbon. All the stats I see seem to include Portuguese interior and coastal, but only from Porto. Can anyone help with this?

Lisbon doesn’t see big numbers, so it is possible no one arrived yesterday from Lisbon. Total number of pilgrims walking from Lisbon was on 2,470 through the end of July.

Very long queues to enter the cathedral today. An extra door has been opened temporarily to help speed entry for the very large numbers.

PS: Looking at the video I see quite a few pilgrims in the long queue still carrying their packs. They may be disappointed when they eventually reach the door of the cathedral and are refused entry with their rucksacks. :-(

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone :) I will be walking the Camino Portuguese. The upcoming two weeks and would love to get a tattoo to commemorate it. Would anyone be able to suggest any good tattoo shops which would...
I’ll be arriving in Santiago about October 7 after walking the Portugues Coastal and am finding many of the popular accommodations sold out. Is there some events in the city beyond the usual? I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.