• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Burgos to Sarria in a day

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
I am just about done with my itinerary.
Now I need a way to get from Burgos to Sarria in one day, leaving Burgos on the 8th of September.
Train or bus would be preferred.
Is that possible ?
Or is there another service for that ?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On most days you can do it with ALSA buses Burgos - Leon and Leon - Lugo. Then take the short local Monbus service to Sarria. But there are fewer services on a Sunday.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Rome2rio is a secondary seller with limited ticket availability. It would be worth checking with ALSA and RENFE and / or settling for travel on Monday 9th where there appears to be plenty of availability. And, as I’ve said elsewhere, do not search for the entire journey in one go. You have to break it into it’s component parts: Burgos-Leon, Leon -Lugo, Lugo - Sarria.

Spanish transport systems do not operate with peripatetic pilgrims in mind. Buses go where local people want to go, occasionally to the benefit of pilgrims

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
No, you will have to transfer to another bus. Rome2Rio has that information.

It looks like you change to a Monbus bus at Pedrafita Do Cebreiro after a 5+ hour wait.

View attachment 174947
And this is why R2R is no longer a go to for travel information. Omio will only show routes for which they can sell tickets and their AI should probably stand for Absence of Intelligence

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't seem to be able to get the same results.. on the Alsa web site
Here's Burgos to Pedrafita Do Cebreiro on Alsa

Then you need to look on the Monbus site for the bus from Pedrafita Do Cebreiro to Sarria, but they are not showing their September schedule yet:

We would better be able to help you if we knew exactly what you are trying to accomplish. At one time you posted that you wanted to walk from SJPdP to Pamplona, then go from Pamplona to Sarria. Now you are talking about trying to get from Burgos to Sarria in one day.
Are you still arriving in Paris on September 1st, and hoping to get to SJPdP the same day?
After that what are your plans?
It seems like you are going to be spending quite a bit of time on transport rather than on the Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We would better be able to help you if we knew exactly what you are trying to accomplish. At one time you posted that you wanted to walk from SJPdP to Pamplona, then go from Pamplona to Sarria. Now you are talking about trying to get from Burgos to Sarria in one day.
Are you still arriving in Paris on September 1st, and hoping to get to SJPdP the same day?
After that what are your plans?
It seems like you are going to be spending quite a bit of time on transport rather than on the Camino!
I have worked out all the details for starting at SJPDP and walking to Pamlona. Then Burgos by train.. I will be walking the rest of the way from Sarria. I believe I will be walking 10 or 11 days.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
You won’t because they’re different companies. That aside, how are you getting to Burgos for the 8th? And, just so we have the whole picture when is your homebound flight and from where?
I am catching a flight out of Santiago back to Paris.. Then back to my home state of Michigan in the US.

Here you go @Genecamino55

Burgos to Sarria, in one day and on a Sunday!

ALSA bus Burgos to Leon departs 04:00 arrives 06:00
ALSA bus Leon to Lugo departs 10:15 arrives 13:30
MONBUS Lugo to Sarria departs 13:35 (you'll be lucky!) or departs 17:30 arrives 18:10

So far as I can see tickets are currently available now for all those departures, buying directly, except Monbus which has not opened September bookings yet.

There is a 17:20 departure from Burgos gets to Leon 19:00 from which you could catch the 20:30 to Lugo but that gets in at 00:20 so you'd have to overnight in Lugo or take an expensive taxi - ride.

Buena suerte

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I'm currently on the Ingles, in Neda, & thought I would post with the state of play. 1stly , if your flying into A Coruna, & starting at Ferrol, it's an easy transfer. I got a bus from the...
So I was able to book our train from Santiago back to Madria this morning through Renfe! (Yay!) My question is once I finished and printed out the tickets I noticed that on one of the tickets it...
I’m trying to find the easiest way to get to Bayonne via train from Charles de Gaul airport. I arrive in Paris at 7:30 AM. October 21. Need to be at SJDP by evening. Would you recommend I get...
Hi, for several years I have posted about buying two tickets on renfe and then canceling the one ticket I did not need in time to get a refund (used to be an hour before departure). This was all...
My husband and I will begin our first Camino in three weeks. To accommodate the time we have available, we would like to start in Rates. We are thinking we could take the train from Porto to Povoa...
Hello! After finishing the camino by bicycle and riding to Finisterre, is it possible to return by bus (with my bike)? Thank you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back