Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Burgos bus station at night

roving_rufus

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2013-2015) Portugues (2017-2019) Via Francigena (2018-??) Camino from Ireland (2020-??)
It's looking like I might have to do a transfer in Burgos bus station in the very early hours of the morning (read still night-time!)
Tried to search for how Burgos station does night buses as every station is different (eg some have a night waiting room accessible if you have a ticket, others like Leon open ten minutes before a bus departs and you can't wait inside).
So does anyone know about how Burgos bus station operates at night? Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This may not be entirely helpful as I don’t know what they do at night, but……the bus station is very simple. Just the area where busses arrive and depart from (with toilets accessed from the platform) and a foyer/ticketing area which has doors to the platform and doors to the street. I’m not sure if it is secured at night.

It's looking like I might have to do a transfer in Burgos bus station in the very early hours of the morning (read still night-time!)
Tried to search for how Burgos station does night buses as every station is different (eg some have a night waiting room accessible if you have a ticket, others like Leon open ten minutes before a bus departs and you can't wait inside).
So does anyone know about how Burgos bus station

Being Irish and never missing the chance to tell a story "no help to your challenge", it must have improved since 2013 If it's still near the old city entrance gate, I spent a horrific night there in 2013 my bus for Biarritz did not show until 04.00 hrs the happy vending machine as my only company. I was the last person in the station staff were great.
One fellow German pilgrim broke down in tears leaving me as she boarded the bus for Cologne at 02.00 hrs it was grim.
It was to say the least it was "unsavoury" and not talking about the food.
I assume they had a newstation but good luck.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Being Irish and never missing the chance to tell a story "no help to your challenge", it must have improved since 2013 If it's still near the old city entrance gate, I spent a horrific night there in 2013 my bus for Biarritz did not show until 04.00 hrs the happy vending machine as my only company. I was the last person in the station staff were great.
One fellow German pilgrim broke down in tears leaving me as she boarded the bus for Cologne at 02.00 hrs it was grim.
It was to say the least it was "unsavoury" and not talking about the food.
I assume they had a newstation but good luck.

Being Irish too I always appreciate a good yarn!
It's less than an hour I hope to be there... I just don't like waiting around on a street as a solo woman at 3.30am...inside even a scruffy station is better!

if i'm not mistaken, the bus station is still in town, practically the city centre. the neighbourhood is fine and if there is a transfer, the terminal will be open. burgos is not a huge city, so chances of something happening are slim.

because of our odd time zone, it's almost always dark in spain until 7:30, if not 8:00am. but the city will have come to life (kind of) by 6ish am. there's a useful albergue right over the station that i stayed at once, if you have enough time to gran. a few hours sleep.

if i'm not mistaken, the bus station is still in town, practically the city centre. the neighbourhood is fine and if there is a transfer, the terminal will be open. burgos is not a huge city, so chances of something happening are slim.

because of our odd time zone, it's almost always dark in spain until 7:30, if not 8:00am. but the city will have come to life (kind of) by 6ish am. there's a useful albergue right over the station that i stayed at once, if you have enough time to gran. a few hours sleep.
Thanks - I have about a 45 minute transfer - but having encountered bus stations that close at night and been left standing on a dark street alone at 4am- waiting for another bus it's not an experience I want to repeat. I just want to actually know if the station is actually open

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks - I have about a 45 minute transfer - but having encountered bus stations that close at night and been left standing on a dark street alone at 4am- waiting for another bus it's not an experience I want to repeat. I just want to actually know if the station is actually open
If you've never been to the Burgos bus station, this is what it looks like. You see passengers waiting at the platforms for the various buses. When you arrive on your bus you step off and you can wait there for your next bus, you will not be on the street. There is a waiting room (you see open doors in the middle of the photo) but I don't know whether it will ever be closed or is open all night.

Burgos bus station.jpg

you might want to double check then, no opening times on their website:
estaciondeautobuses@aytoburgos.es
+34947288855

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
but having encountered bus stations that close at night and been left standing on a dark street alone at 4am- waiting for another bus

Worst case scenario, as @Kathar1na points out, is that the waiting room will be closed at night. But the bus bay area will be open, otherwise people would be unable to board the bus. The bus station is in the center of town on neighborhood streets, and there is no way that buses would come and go on the street with the bus bays closed at any time of day or night.

I have been there at night, but not as late as you will be, and everything was well-lit and clean. I don’t think you have anything to worry about. Buen camino, Laurie

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I caught a bus from Burgos station last year (during the afternoon).

I am certain that the bus will drop you off inside the station on the platform (see the pictures in post #7 above). You should be able to wait in the waiting room (where there are small bus company ticket booths too). I was worried because there was no-one at the booth but it turned out that the ticket booth was only manned at certain times - and it may even have been the driver of the soon-to-depart bus who sold tickets from the booth. There is a cafe inside the station too - but might not be open at 4am!

Do you have a through ticket or do you need to buy one at Burgos?

I once spent the night in the Burgos station. I got there before it was locked for the night so spent hours inside waiting for my bus which left in the wee hours. There were a few others as well. The security came around and told me I couldn't stretch out but otherwise it was alright.

I once spent the night in the Burgos station. I got there before it was locked for the night so spent hours inside waiting for my bus which left in the wee hours. There were a few others as well. The security came around and told me I couldn't stretch out but otherwise it was alright.
Was it in the same location/building as now?

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Was it in the same location/building as now?
It looks like it is in the old location across the road from the old town gate the area around it is unsavoury not a pleasant night to spend a few hours.
Amazed they have not built a new station.

The bus station in Burgos was built as early as 1944 and today has 17 platforms as well as a cafe and toilets. It is only 400 meters to the cathedral and the old town which makes it easier for those planning to visit Burgos, not only local buses but also buses from a number of Spanish cities come here. Approximately one million passengers pass through per year, two out of five coming from or heading to Madrid (and many of the buses to Madrid pass through the airport).

It looks like it is in the old location across the road from the old town gate the area around it is unsavoury not a pleasant night to spend a few hours.
Amazed they have not built a new station.
I was there a year ago and it didn’t seem ‘unsavory’ at all. What makes you say that?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Can only talk of my experience at 04.00 hrs in 2013 waiting for bus to Biarritz.
Several addicts if what ever substance ? were stopped by security at the open entrance to the station, they shouted and roared at the security it was not a pleasant experience and the station was showing all it's age nearly 80 years, maybe times have changed.
When you compare the new station in Santiago it's chalk and cheese.
Anyway if it's only a few hours it should not be bad.

Can only talk of my experience at 04.00 hrs in 2013 waiting for bus to Biarritz.
Several addicts if what ever substance ? were stopped by security at the open entrance to the station, they shouted and roared at the security it was not a pleasant experience and the station was showing all it's age nearly 80 years, maybe times have changed.
When you compare the new station in Santiago it's chalk and cheese.
Anyway if it's only a few hours it should not be bad.
2013 is so long ago that I don’t think it is very useful feedback for the OP. I caught a bus from this station in 2023 and it was perfectly fine.

2013 is so long ago that I don’t think it is very useful feedback for the OP. I caught a bus from this station in 2023 and it was perfectly fine.
Looking at the pics it has not changed much but take your point I apologise for any misconception created by my experiences.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Looking at the pics it has not changed much but take your point I apologise for any misconception created by my experiences.
What I will comment is any place can seem very different in the middle of the afternoon to the middle of the night. And even the nicest bus station can feel a bit odd at night.

What I will comment is any place can seem very different in the middle of the afternoon to the middle of the night. And even the nicest bus station can feel a bit odd at night.
Thanks 💯 totally true, been in many station's at night Burgos was oppressive and a bit sad, have been in Burgos station during the day very different still not brilliant.

I took the flixbus in Burgos at 8pm at the end of July. I felt very safe. I would rather wait there for 45 minutes than in the bus station in Paris. I saw a fight there at night. There is a toilet in the bus station in Burgos and a door to a cafeteria but it probably isn't open at night.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
Hello, My question is: For those of you who do a little bit of planning, do you use some sort of list of all towns and distances to have a general idea what towns you will pass through? (More...
Hello everyone, I have booked my flights and train and will be arriving in Bayonne at 5:21pm on Mon October 21st. I have a few questions about the logistics of the first few days of the route...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...
Anyone struggling to find a place in Los arcos 6 km beyond is albergue sansol oasis.I can highly recommend excellent host and food

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back