Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino MelMc walks from SJPP

MelMc

Time of past OR future Camino
So I started out from st Jean Pied De port yesterday around 8 with the rain pelting down heading up the Napoleon towards Orisson. After lunch alot of people decided to avail of the taxi service and I don't blame them as the rain was nonstop. Any way myself and Andrew an American chap soldiered on over the pass in deep discussion on various topics, alas realising we had taken a wrong turn we were saved by some french workers who drove us back to the right spot. To cut a long story short we made it to the Albergue about 7 just in time for some grub. After a shower and a beer my bed called me to her and I duly obliged, today was hard also but the weather was better. Tomorrow I'm heading to Pamplona and I'm loving every minute of it. 😊 Night night

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So I started out from st Jean Pied De port yesterday around 8 with the rain pelting down heading up the Napoleon towards Orisson. After lunch alot of people decided to avail of the taxi service and I don't blame them as the rain was nonstop. Any way myself and Andrew an American chap soldiered on over the pass in deep discussion on various topics, alas realising we had taken a wrong turn we were saved by some french workers who drove us back to the right spot. To cut a long story short we made it to the Albergue about 7 just in time for some grub. After a shower and a beer my bed called me to her and I duly obliged, today was hard also but the weather was better. Tomorrow I'm heading to Pamplona and I'm loving every minute of it. 😊 Night night
A tough start but you've already got the Camino spirit. Embrace every minute; the good, the bad and the everything else. Buen Camino!

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
My first day was just the opposite. It was extremely hot and I ran out of water after crossing over the prynees. I thought to myself, its less then 5 miles and its downhill, I can make it. I did, but just barely. ( A very stupid mistake!). Greeted by a long line, many people ahead of me, checkng in. my only thought was water..... Thanks to the hospitalaros in Reconvilles, they gave me a seat and plenty to drink. After 45 minutes I could barely walk. A hot shower, a hot meal, clean sheets, and a new day dawning. I never thought I has so much to be thankful. One of the toughest days on the camino, but also one of the best for so many reasons. Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well done. Makes me wonder if I should pack my rain proof trousers, but what’s the point when me shoes aren’t water proof? My bag is tiny… And I’ve just a sleeping bag liner, will I be freezing?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well done MelMC
Believe me it only gets easier from tomorrow. There’s the odd challenging day ahead but nothing in comparison to today, and in about 4/5 days your legs will be tuned to walking and it gets easier. Keith

Well done. Makes me wonder if I should pack my rain proof trousers, but what’s the point when me shoes aren’t water proof? My bag is tiny… And I’ve just a sleeping bag liner, will I be freezing?
Mick0
It sounds like the weather has turned already. Be warned it might be warm during the day as you’re walking generating your own heat but when evenings are cold and wet a liner doesn’t do it but there are a lot of albergues provide blankets if so grab a couple, a good sleep is essential to body recovery for walking the next day. Keith

Winter 2014. Heavy rain but it turned to snow jjust after Orisson. Wet through and tired out by Roncesvalles ( Gortex is useless). Met only one other masochist all the way. We caught up again in Pamplona and in S de C, 26 days on.
De Colores
Bogong

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Mick0
It sounds like the weather has turned already. Be warned it might be warm during the day as you’re walking generating your own heat but when evenings are cold and wet a liner doesn’t do it but there are a lot of albergues provide blankets if so grab a couple, a good sleep is essential to body recovery for walking the next day. Keith
Thanks Keith,
When people told me to pack lightly I took that literally…

Winter 2014. Heavy rain but it turned to snow jjust after Orisson. Wet through and tired out by Roncesvalles ( Gortex is useless). Met only one other masochist all the way. We caught up again in Pamplona and in S de C, 26 days on.
De Colores
Bogong
Hey Bogong
It was exactly the same for me on my first Camino July 2015. I had barely got out of town and the rain started and it got heavier and heavier as the time past. I stopped at orrisson for coffee and food then preceded but unto be known to me no other pilgrims continued walking. After about 8/9 hours I stopped and put up my poncho in the trees to sit down and just get out of the rain. It was nearly 8pm when I strolled into ronsevalles completely empty, soaked and exhausted. I should have got the taxi from orrisson but didn’t know back then.
I had pushed myself way too far that day without realising it I couldn’t even hold down my meal I had I threw up walking back.
Luckily for me that was the best lesson I learned on the Camino. Keith

So funny. I'm laughing because I experienced the same twice. We've survived and the days following felt like a piece of cake. I also find so interesting those pictures of beautiful vistas. All I experienced was cloud cover, fog, and sheep rear ends.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first day on the French Camino is undoubtedly the toughest single day on any Camino I have walked, including the Primitivo and the Norte. The first seven kilometres out of SJPP are steep and unexpectedly tough, especially for those who are new to the Camino and not used to hilly terrain.

I remember seeing people sitting at the side of the path, one or two looking shell-shocked, especially those who had overpacked or were wearing brand-new boots, aware they had completely underestimated, completely underestimating the challenge. I had beautiful weather that day, but when I reached Orisson, I wished I had booked a stay there. After some tortillas and coffee, I continued on my journey.

I can't imagine tackling this route in bad weather, as it's challenging enough in good conditions. Congratulations on your achievement! From here on, you can walk knowing that the toughest day is behind you.

These days, I am older and, I hope, a little wiser. I understand there is nothing to prove. It is not an endurance course; it is a journey with lessons to learn and immense pleasure to be had. Being more Camino-experienced, I manage the bad weather and challenging days with a less stubborn approach and go with the flow, and let common sense prevail.

Grand wee walk today, tough towards the end but the excellent meal justified the effort. Body wise my left hand is swollen from an insect bite and a have a blister on my little toe. Spirit is good and I'm looking forward to a shorter day tomorrow , just to Estella, 😉 Wee Buns as they say back home.

Grand wee walk today, tough towards the end but the excellent meal justified the effort. Body wise my left hand is swollen from an insect bite and a have a blister on my little toe. Spirit is good and I'm looking forward to a shorter day tomorrow , just to Estella, 😉 Wee Buns as they say back home.
Are you at the Maralotx? If so, give a big hug to Juanma and Paloma!

A shorter day tomorrow sounds perfect - Estella is a nice town and I hope you enjoy it.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I really enjoyed staying at that albergue in 2017 and have several nice pictures, however I do not specifically remember the owners. I'm sure my speaking very little Spanish could be one reason.

I really enjoyed staying at that albergue in 2017 and have several nice pictures, however I do not specifically remember the owners. I'm sure my speaking very little Spanish could be one reason.
@Juanma, who along with his wife owns the albergue, is a member of the forum, and speaks perfect English.

Apparently he, nor his wife, didn't introduce themselves to me when we checked in or I'd have known.🤷
Juanma and Paloma didn’t own the albergue in Cirauqui in 2017. They were managing two albergues on the Primitivo at that time, the albergue at Ponte Ferreira and the Nave. (Many forum members will remember the paella communal dinners they made there). They bought Maralotx from its long time owners in about 2019.

You should go back, @Camino Chrissy and you will get a royal welcome. :p

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Juanma and Paloma didn’t own the albergue in Cirauqui in 2017. They were managing two albergues on the Primitivo at that time, the albergue at Ponte Ferreira and the Nave. (Many forum members will remember the paella communal dinners they made there). They bought Maralotx from its long time owners in about 2019.

Laurie, your knowledge of "all things Camino" is remarkable and amazing.🤗

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

OMG, just caught this post now. Now we're definitely staying there. That paella dinner on the Primitivo in 2017 in the albergue at Ponte Ferreira was one of our most memorable Camino nights.

Can't you make this thread disappear, though?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
OMG, just caught this post now. Now we're definitely staying there. That paella dinner on the Primitivo in 2017 in the albergue at Ponte Ferreira was one of our most memorable Camino nights.
I don't know if Juanma makes the same dinner every night, but in June we didn't have Paella. What he did serve was a delicious chick pea stew with a green salad starter.

I should not have mentioned the paella. I only said it to see if others remenbered their stay in Ponte Ferreira, where it was the typical communal dinner menu. Paella is DEFINITELY NOT on the menu in Cirauqui. But I hear that it’s delicious nonetheless. I have not been to the Maralotx since Juanma and Paloma took it over, which is obviously a gaping camino deficit of mine.

Easy day today ,met a nice South African man this morning who had scraped his leg but we managed to clean him up and he walked on cheerfully. Estella is really nice although I did lose my water bottle, I replaced it from the Decathlon store. On the way back I wandered in to the park and came upon an outdoor cafe which happened to sell beer. Turns out the girl that worked there had lived in Ireland to learn English. Needless to say we had a lovely chat and I sauntered back delighted at this unintended encounter. Overall a good day by any standard. The joy of walking 😊

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I should not have mentioned the paella. I only said it to see if others remenbered their stay in Ponte Ferreira, where it was the typical communal dinner menu. Paella is DEFINITELY NOT on the menu in Cirauqui. But I hear that it’s delicious nonetheless. I have not been to the Maralotx since Juanma and Paloma took it over, which is obviously a gaping camino deficit of mine.
Understood. Was not expecting paella again. But, as you said, it was what made me remember the albergue in Ponte Ferreira.

Estella to Sansol, long enough walk and frankly a bit boring these treks can be a head wrecker and joyous at the same time. Spare a thought for the sheep legs tied together waiting for the Wolf tonight. Yes you heard me sacrificed to save the flock. We only think life is tough. Mint Sauce Any One.🤔

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Estella to Sansol, long enough walk and frankly a bit boring these treks can be a head wrecker and joyous at the same time. Spare a thought for the sheep legs tied together waiting for the Wolf tonight. Yes you heard me sacrificed to save the flock. We only think life is tough. Mint Sauce Any One.🤔
?

Yes I think you will. Definitely bring sleeping bag, I've been asking for a blanket too a couple of nights

Today I left Longrono on the bus to Navarrete not planned but thought I'd give my feet a rest. After breakfast there I walked to Najera. Pretty chilly day but good for walking, got in to my digs and now drinking a glass 🍷 or 2 of wine in one of local bars.

Today I left Longrono on the bus to Navarrete not planned but thought I'd give my feet a rest. After breakfast there I walked to Najera. Pretty chilly day but good for walking, got in to my digs and now drinking a glass 🍷 or 2 of wine in one of local bars.
Well done, personal health and wellbeing always comes first. Buen Camino

I'm enjoying my walk even more now that I've found my groove. Watching and listening to people, reading between the lines, who's coping who's not. Everyone's in bed now, contemplating the day ahead. Some with joy, some with dread. What I will say is before undertaking a walk like this get your Ass In Shape. Comprede 😉

I'm enjoying my walk even more now that I've found my groove. Watching and listening to people, reading between the lines, who's coping who's not. Everyone's in bed now, contemplating the day ahead. Some with joy, some with dread. What I will say is before undertaking a walk like this get your Ass In Shape. Comprede 😉
Have you had a good evening?

before undertaking a walk like this get your Ass In Shape
Getting your Ass In Shape isn't always as easy as you think

180907171631-03-pack-burro-race.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
Hello, My question is: For those of you who do a little bit of planning, do you use some sort of list of all towns and distances to have a general idea what towns you will pass through? (More...
Hello everyone, I have booked my flights and train and will be arriving in Bayonne at 5:21pm on Mon October 21st. I have a few questions about the logistics of the first few days of the route...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...
Anyone struggling to find a place in Los arcos 6 km beyond is albergue sansol oasis.I can highly recommend excellent host and food

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back