• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bike wrapping for train from Santiago to Ferrol.

Dave Morgan

Time of past OR future Camino
Del Norte
I am currently riding from Lisbon, arriving in Santiago around the end of the month. I need to get myself and my bike to Santander for a ferry. I don't have time to ride to Ferrol, where I will get the FEVE to Santander. Do I need to disassemble my bike and wrap it for the journey between Santiago and Ferrol? (I did several years ago, when there was a gentleman who offered a wrapping service at the station but I understand he has retired.) Or does anyone have alternative suggestions for getting the bike to Ferrol or to Santander?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hmm, great question! You should not need to wrap your bike if you are travelling on Cercanias (Commuter / local) trains. The journey SdC to Ferrol is on Cercanias and the whole of the FEVE network is classified as Cercanias.

Info here: https://www.renfe.com/es/en/suburban/cercanias-am/viajar-con

I'm intrigued though by Ferrol to Santander. I presume that you are planning two or three days for the trip because I've never been able to do it faster.

Otherwise you have this train https://venta.renfe.com/vol/buscarTrenEnlaces.do?c=_VEC3#tren_i_0 which departs Santiago and will get you there much faster

Hmm, great question! You should not need to wrap your bike if you are travelling on Cercanias (Commuter / local) trains. The journey SdC to Ferrol is on Cercanias and the whole of the FEVE network is classified as Cercanias.

Info here: https://www.renfe.com/es/en/suburban/cercanias-am/viajar-con

I'm intrigued though by Ferrol to Santander. I presume that you are planning two or three days for the trip because I've never been able to do it faster.

Otherwise you have this train https://venta.renfe.com/vol/buscarTrenEnlaces.do?c=_VEC3#tren_i_0 which departs Santiago and will get you there much faster
Yes, direct would be nice but SdC to Santander is an Alvia train which, as far as I can tell, require the bike to be disassembled and wrapped. Similarly, SdC to Ferrol is an Alvia. I like the convenience of the FEVE and being able to wheel on. It is slow and scenic but I've done it a few times now so would settle for an alternative.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
SdC to Ferrol is an Alvia
You can click through on the Cercanias pages and get a ticket to Ferrol on a Cercanias train. As I recall the Alvia comes from Madrid heading for A Coruna. Other trains are available....

You would normally be able to take a bike on the direct route but because of the "works" between Ourense and Quiroga exclude them.

ps. I love the FEVE. I just make sure I've a good picnic and no deadlines to meet ;)

Have done SdC to Santander using Renfe and FEVE but as @Tincatinker says it will be slow but very pleasant. I had to cycle the Ingles to Betanzos to get the MD/Regional to Ferrol. You hang your bike on the rack. From Ferrol, it's wheel your bike on to the bike space on the train for Oviedo.

At Oviedo** you are back onto the MD/Regional to Santander. Took 3 days. Overnight at Ferrol and Oviedo as I wanted to see these towns - and wanted to cycle part of the Ingles.

The fastest way is Alsa Bus. Alsa sell bike bags * so it can be partially disassembled and put in with the luggage. Pre-book the space on their website.

* Or buy the bike bag from Alsa (€15) and use it to go by train.
** At Oviedo station, the FEVE ticket office and trains are upstairs at the back of the station.

Last edited:
Have done SdC to Santander using Renfe and FEVE but as @Tincatinker says it will be slow but very pleasant. I had to cycle the Ingles to Betanzos to get the MD/Regional to Ferrol. You hang your bike on the rack. From Ferrol, it's wheel your bike on to the bike space on the train for Oviedo.

At Oviedo** you are back onto the MD/Regional to Santander. Took 3 days. Overnight at Ferrol and Oviedo as I wanted to see these towns - and wanted to cycle part of the Ingles.

The fastest way is Alsa Bus. Alsa sell bike bags * so it can be partially disassembled and put in with the luggage. Pre-book the space on their website.

* Or buy the bike bag from Alsa (€15) and use it to go by train.
** At Oviedo station, the FEVE ticket office and trains at upstairs at the back of the station.
Thanks. I have ridden the Ingles before Covid and from Finisterre to Ferrol last year. I was considering the ride to Betanzos, not particularly because I wanted to but to get the MD you mention to Ferrol. The bus looks a possible option, allowing me more time on my ride to Santiago to relax and enjoy the surroundings. And it's a shame to feel pressured.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, direct would be nice but SdC to Santander is an Alvia train which, as far as I can tell, require the bike to be disassembled and wrapped.
If you still need somewhere in Santiago to disassemble and wrap the bike, I would contact Mail Boxes, Etc. They have a website, and there is a location in between the Plaza de Galicia and the train station on the Rua Santiago de Guayaquil. I always buy bubble wrap there for bringing stuff home from Santiago, and I know they wrap and/or ship many bikes.

If you still need somewhere in Santiago to disassemble and wrap the bike, I would contact Mail Boxes, Etc. They have a website, and there is a location in between the Plaza de Galicia and the train station on the Rua Santiago de Guayaquil. I always buy bubble wrap there for bringing stuff home from Santiago, and I know they wrap and/or ship many bikes.
I've booked a bus direct to Santander. But this is worth knowing if the bus station has no bike bags. Thanks.

When I did same journey, by bus, I had to take front wheel off and put alongside frame then clingfilm the whole, before putting in the bus luggage compartment. It worked fine - suggest you check wrapping requirement hasn't changed - I also received a discount on ticket as a Pilgrim? Good luck.

Train for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
I put a fully assembled road bike in the underneath bay of Alsa at least one, and my folded Brompton many times. No wrapping—can't get to the bus station if the bike isn't rideable.

Most read last week in this forum

I am currently riding from Lisbon, arriving in Santiago around the end of the month. I need to get myself and my bike to Santander for a ferry. I don't have time to ride to Ferrol, where I will...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back