• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biarritz to Irun: which portion to walk?

olmonnier

Time of past OR future Camino
First camino: 29th of September to 8th of October
Good day everyone,
I am arriving in Biarritz this weekend and I am wondering what is the best way to go to Irun: 30 km might be a bit too much for the first day so I am wondering if I should do the portion Biarritz St Jean de Luz and then take a train or take a train from Biarritz and walk St Jean de Luz to Irun.

Any recommendations?

thank you in advance and enjoy your Camino!

Olivier

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
yes good suggestion, that would be ideal ,thank you.

Time might not allow, hence my question :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walk Bayonne to Irun this summer and I was a bit disappointed.
First, the way is not well marked: you should use an app (like mapy.cz, buenCamino...).
Second, it often follows coastal roads, which were pretty busy this summer. Hopefully, there will be less cars now.
Of course, there are some nice places like Bidart, Guetary... but my advice is to take a train to St Jean de Luz.
The way from St Jean to Hendaye is nicer. Hendaye to Irun is not very beautiful but is very short.

PS: take care that Irun-San Sebastian is probably the most difficult stage of the whole Camino del Norte...

Last edited:
I walk Bayonne to Irun this summer and I was a bit disappointed.
First, the way is not well marked: you should use an app (like mapy.cz, buenCamino...).
Second, it often follows coastal roads, which were pretty busy this summer. Hopefully, there will be less cars now.
Of course, there are some nice places like Bidart, Guetary... but my advice is to take a train to St Jean de Luz.
The way from St Jean to Hendaye is nicer. Hendaye to Irun is not very beautiful but is very short.

PS: take care that Irun-San Sebastian is probably the most difficult stage of the whole Camino del Norte...
thank you for the advice

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

We will have 2 full days (3 nights) after we finish the Camino, spend a couple days in Santiago, and take a day trip to Finisterre before we need to be back in Barcelona. Any recommendations for...
Can anyone help me find information about a bus from Leon to virgen del camino please. Am going round in circles on Alsa website and google maps not working for me either. I was hoping to go...
Hello, my mom and I are walking the Norte currently and she has developed plantar fasciitis. She can walk some, but would like to bus or taxi some each day. I plan to walk as much as I can. What...
Has anyone successfully changed a Renfe Elige type ticket online? We got elige tickets and are trying to change trains to a different time but it seems to just ask us to buy the tickets again and...
Many months ago we mailed a parcel at Pamplona via Correos with excess baggage home to Canada. Unknowing we failed to have someone at home retrieve this item from the post office. We assumed it...
Good day everyone, I am arriving in Biarritz this weekend and I am wondering what is the best way to go to Irun: 30 km might be a bit too much for the first day so I am wondering if I should do...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.