• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Biarritz to Irun: which portion to walk?

olmonnier

Time of past OR future Camino
First camino: 29th of September to 8th of October
Good day everyone,
I am arriving in Biarritz this weekend and I am wondering what is the best way to go to Irun: 30 km might be a bit too much for the first day so I am wondering if I should do the portion Biarritz St Jean de Luz and then take a train or take a train from Biarritz and walk St Jean de Luz to Irun.

Any recommendations?

thank you in advance and enjoy your Camino!

Olivier

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
yes good suggestion, that would be ideal ,thank you.

Time might not allow, hence my question

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walk Bayonne to Irun this summer and I was a bit disappointed.
First, the way is not well marked: you should use an app (like mapy.cz, buenCamino...).
Second, it often follows coastal roads, which were pretty busy this summer. Hopefully, there will be less cars now.
Of course, there are some nice places like Bidart, Guetary... but my advice is to take a train to St Jean de Luz.
The way from St Jean to Hendaye is nicer. Hendaye to Irun is not very beautiful but is very short.

PS: take care that Irun-San Sebastian is probably the most difficult stage of the whole Camino del Norte...

Last edited:
thank you for the advice

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum