• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Bed bugs in Naverette

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014 & 2017
Camino Francigena, part off 2019
I strayed at ‘El Refugio Naverette’ on 21 September 2024 (last night) and as I slept I was bitten by bed bugs on both my arms and on and my abdomen. There were spots of blood on the paper sheet this morning and I have raised and localised swellings on my arms. Which are extreme itchy.
I reported what had happened to the hospitaliser in the morning and I was told that “I must be mistaken “ because she has never had a problem with “chiches”before .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I reported what had happened to the hospitaliser in the morning and I was told that “I must be mistaken “ because she has never had a problem with “chiches”before .
That's very disappointing because every hospitalero/a should know that bed bugs can be brought in by pilgrims to the cleanest Albergue.

Sorry you got bitten, and even more sorry that the hospitaleros didn't take it seriously.

Sadly I've experienced similar behaviour by some hosts, too...

"That's not bed bugs" (yes, they were)

"But it's dead" (no, it still walked...)

"But you brought it in" (No, I didn't, I'm allergic, take massive precautions and would know, and also there's so much bed bug poop in that bed, they certainly have lived there for a while!)

ect.

But you did the right thing by reporting it to the hospitaleros.

Wash and / or dry all your gear on 'hot' to kill all the bugs that might have sneaked into your gear.

That way you avoid carrying them somewhere else, and show more responsibility than the albergue that apparently didn't...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Wash and / or dry all your gear on 'hot' to kill all the bugs that might have sneaked into your gear.
Don't worry about washing on hot. It's the time in the hot dryer that really counts. I recommend doing the heat treatment on dry clothes (less time required because you don't have to wait for the wet clothing to reach the desired temperature). Then if you want to wash do so according to label instructions.

If it's a warm day you can put your backpack and things that can't go into the dryer in a black plastic garbage bag and set it in the sun for a few hours.

Most read last week in this forum