• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Beaune

caminka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
see signature
Yesterday I travelled to Beaune which is on a chemin that leads to Cluny from NE parts of France, Belgium, Netherlands and thereabouts.

I slept in camping les Cent Vignes (municipal, I think) and they were very nice, leaving me a plan with a plot number because I arrived just as the check-in closed. I payed in the morning. Camping is about 200m off route west of the church of st Nicolas with a romanesque portal and lintel and 15C carved wooden porch.

Pitch €16.65 (I think this was the price for hikers and cyclists), washing and drying machines €6+5, wifi, snack bar. Just one very impractical charging point but electricity €. 5min from the old centre, on the way into it.

Why I wanted to visit Beaune so badly?

Well, because of its Hotel-Dieu, founded in the middle of the 15C as a hospital for ill people and in operation into the 20C. Preserved furniture and objects, including a number of original chests, a 19C kitchen, a 18C pharmacy, and an altar triptych by Rogier van der Weyden. But mostly known for its colourful tiled roof. Definitely worth a look for anyone walking a camino this way.

The town also has a huge lavoir st Jacques, too.

Last edited:
Join Camino Cleanup: Logroño to Burgos May 2025 and Astorga to O'Cebreiro in June.
Thank you for highlighting this magnificent building. Prior to walking the CF in 2015 I stayed with my French cousin and she and her son took me to Beaune to enjoy a wonderful lunch and a memorable visit to the Hotel-Dieu.

A selection of Camino Jewellery