• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bear attack on pilgrim on the Iseji route

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
A Japanese news website reports that a pilgrim walking the Iseji Kumano Kodo route was attacked by a bear earlier this week. An increasing number of reports of bear attacks in Japan in recent months but this is the first I've seen on a Kumano Kodo path.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well that's something you don't expect on a pilgrimage these days. Hope she is OK and the bear is relocated rather than put down.
I don't know whether it is simply more reporting or an actual increase but reports of bear attacks in Japan have definitely become more frequent over the past few years. It used to be that trouble was largely limited to Hokkaido and its population of brown bears. More recently there has been a lot of concern about attacks and close encounters with the black bear population on Honshu and to a far smaller extent on Shikoku.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well that's something you don't expect on a pilgrimage these days. Hope she is OK and the bear is relocated rather than put down.
Mph. If the bear is not an endangered species, there's very little habitat both far enough away from people and from the attack site in Japan to relocate a bear that has now learned to attack people.

Not a high probability outcome.

I'm more worried about how the bear came to associate a 70- plus woman with either threat or food.

Some parts of that route are quite remote in the mountains so I'm not surprised. There are signs here and there warning of bears.

Join Camino Cleanup: Logroño to Burgos May 2025 and Astorga to O'Cebreiro in June.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back