• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back on the Via Francigena

irrie

Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Camino Portugues 2024 Via Francigena
We (my husband and I) are in Peronne right now on the Via Francigena. After the camino frances and camino portugues we wanted to try something different. Last year we walked from Canterbury to Dover in 2 days. And on the 17th of may we started from Calais to continue the VF. We want to go as far as Lausanne and return in september to go over thr St. Bernardinopasd and do the last part to Rome next spring.
So far we met about 10 pilgrims. The VF is quit different from a camino. We want to do about 20 km a day and that means we have sometimes to make our own route. Bur so far this was not a problem. I booked through booking.com, airbnb or contacting the accomodation directly. I am surprised how much French I can speak!
All in all this is a great adventure.
The coffee with eclair is waiting for me now.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
sounds like a fantastic multi year project @irrie. Have you been keeping a list of your accommodations, especially in France? If yes, could you share it?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
sounds like a fantastic multi year project @irrie. Have you been keeping a list of your accommodations, especially in France? If yes, could you share it?
Yes, I keep a list. I am happy to share it with you. Send me a message in july, than we will have finished the French part. The accomodations vary a lot. Today we are in a (literally!) tiny house, tomorrow in a caravan. But we also stayed in a beautifully restored mansion, a beautiful appartment, a stale dark basement, a lovely pilgrim’s gite, a farmhouse, and so on. It is very different from a camino in Spain or Portugal. The average cost so far for the accommodations is about €65 per day.

I bought this booklet but I used most of the times booking.com, airbnb and direct search on google maps. There is much more accomodation than is mentioned in this booklet. And also not all the info is accurate. But for places like donativos it is good.
Of course more is available, but the accommodation in the booklet is geared to budget (pilgrim) needs. All the information in the booklet is checked and updated each winter.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
hi, i live in switzerland, almost on the VF, if you need any help don't hesitate to ask.

Yes, I keep a list. I am happy to share it with you. Send me a message in july, than we will have finished the French part. The accomodations vary a lot. Today we are in a (literally!) tiny house, tomorrow in a caravan. But we also stayed in a beautifully restored mansion, a beautiful appartment, a stale dark basement, a lovely pilgrim’s gite, a farmhouse, and so on. It is very different from a camino in Spain or Portugal. The average cost so far for the accommodations is about €65 per day.
Thanks so much! Will ping you in July

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.