This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Astorga or incomplete Sanabres?

Astorga or Mombuey?

• Astorga

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Mombuey

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Miaka

Time of past OR future Camino
Next: VdLP 2024
We are going to Salamanca soon. We would like to walk for a few days but would need to return after 12 days from day of arrival. I counted for two days to visit Salamanca. Looking at the days, we would finish in Mombuey when it would be time for us to go back to Madrid, which is a bit well... middle of nowhere. Puebla Sanabria has a train back to Madrid I believe, but we would need to take a bus there or a taxi.
On the other hand, the same amount of time would take us straight to Astorga but I don't know how nice the route is to go there. From Granja, I felt the Sanabres was beautiful (at least in the spring), how is the route to Astorga? We have done the Frances a few times so we are familiar with the city, so Astorga itself is not a selling point. But it being a bigger city with better public transportation is...
Let me know what you think please.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've walked both paths from the split at Granja de Meruela, they are very different. I loved the walk up to Astorga. Despite it feeling quite lonely compared to the Sanabrés, I found it strangely atmospheric and interesting. Good pilgrim support from the local associations, but unmanned albergues so nesessary to phone ahead. It's a lovely entry into Astorga from the south, too.

Since you have already walked the Sanabrés, and since the timing and transportatioin works so well, I would go for the Vdlp to Astorga. Not having the transportation hassles would be a good enough reason for me! I have only walked the Sanabrés from the split, so I can’t tell you from first hand experience, but I’ve heard others echo what @Flog has said.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you all for your reply! Sounds like Astorga it is. I was wondering how the route would be but it is reassuring to hear that it is a nice route ^^

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum