Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving in SJPDP

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It’s best that you arrive hopefully as you are arriving at the busiest time of the year.

You have no chance whatsoever of intermediate accommodation on the Napoleon route before Roncesvalles - and it’ll be a zoo there - so the shuttle (which there’s hardly time to tell you about) or the valcarlos route are the only vaguely viable options. Unless you want to meet an enthusiastic new friend from another thead and walk to Roncesvalles in one day, starting after lunch.

Time spent in the next few hours researching options through to Pamplona would be well spent, although potentially depressing. I’d start with gronze.com and go from there, but also ask why you’re starting in St Jean? Pamplona would be a significantly better option.

Did you do any research at all?

In your position in early September, I’d just hit the beach for a couple of weeks and start from Sarria.

Seriously, peak pilgrim season and you’ve not booked? Good on you!

Okay, you may find space at the municipal in St Jean. It’s likely that there’ll be room in the municipal in Valcarlos. You may even be able to book that. There may be space at Roncesvalles, worth trying to book that too though they keep some beds for walk-ins. After that till you get past Pamplona you’ll need a bit of luck. Buena suerte

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Seriously, peak pilgrim season and you’ve not booked? Good on you!

Okay, you may find space at the municipal in St Jean. It’s likely that there’ll be room in the municipal in Valcarlos. You may even be able to book that. There may be space at Roncesvalles, worth trying to book that too though they keep some beds for walk-ins. After that till you get past Pamplona you’ll need a bit of luck. Buena suerte
Hey Tincatinker, thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

Yes I am going in first time absolutely dry of bookings. Maybe not the smartest but hoping that the Camino will provide. I didn’t want to get too presumptuous on what I can and can’t do the first few days so go with what’s available and haul ass best I can.

It’s best that you arrive hopefully as you are arriving at the busiest time of the year.

You have no chance whatsoever of intermediate accommodation on the Napoleon route before Roncesvalles - and it’ll be a zoo there - so the shuttle (which there’s hardly time to tell you about) or the valcarlos route are the only vaguely viable options. Unless you want to meet an enthusiastic new friend from another thead and walk to Roncesvalles in one day, starting after lunch.

Time spent in the next few hours researching options through to Pamplona would be well spent, although potentially depressing. I’d start with gronze.com and go from there, but also ask why you’re starting in St Jean? Pamplona would be a significantly better option.

In your position in early September, I’d just hit the beach for a couple of weeks and start from Sarria.
Oh ok I am arriving tomorrow but I am staying in Saint Jean for the night and trekking to Roncesvalles on Wednesday. Hoping to hike my way to San Tiago. Is the accommodation options really going to be that bad? I presumed I would find albergues along the route even if I have to take or minus a few KM off my daily walks to find a bed.

https://files.fm/u/kc2hs5kvhc

This was my thought process around first few days and securing accommodation on foot.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey Tincatinker, thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

Yes I am going in first time absolutely dry of bookings. Maybe not the smartest but hoping that the Camino will provide. I didn’t want to get too presumptuous on what I can and can’t do the first few days so go with what’s available and haul ass best I can.
There’s not likely to be much available. The Camino will provide what it can but what it can provide by way of beds is limited. And just now, everybody who has carefully planned their September Camino and everybody who hasn’t is heading for St Jean.

Think about starting from Pamplona, however you can get there

Oh ok I am arriving tomorrow but I am staying in Saint Jean for the night and trekking to Roncesvalles on Wednesday. Hoping to hike my way to San Tiago. Is the accommodation options really going to be that bad? I presumed I would find albergues along the route even if I have to take or minus a few KM off my daily walks to find a bed.
The first three days will be a serious challenge from an accommodation pov. There is limited capacity at the best of times through to Pamplona and - seriously - you’re turning up in St Jean in the busiest couple of weeks of the year.

From Pamplona onwards it’ll get easier - but you’re going to have to flex your day’s walking around the bed availability.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Don't understand you guys... theres beds in albergues available in SJPDP tomorrow, theres beds in Espinal available the day after, there is a bed in at 50€ in Zubiri the day later. Thats only from bookingcom and I'd guess situation at location might be better. I know it is a busy week, but it is not the weekend, so i guess theres some chance the OP won't sleep under some bridge.

edit: strike the 50€ bed in Zubiri, Palo de Avellano even lists more than a dozen available beds for the 12th...

Last edited:
Hola

Well.. I think you are brave to start your Camino without a plan!
Will it create problems for you?
Maybe.
It all depends on who you are and what you expect.
As the other posts show, you will be starting with a lot of other people. Many who have planned their Camoino for months if not years.
Some will have their whole Camino booked with places to sleep. Most will have a plan for the first 3-5-7 days after which they will adjust their planning to 1 or 2 days ahead.
And then there will be a few who will be camping out or roughing it (if thats a word?..).
One thing that brings options and sollutions.. as it sometimes is in our world.. is how much funding you have. The more you have the more options you will have.
A lot of pilgrims wants to stay at the budget Albergues (hostals for pilgrims) which cost around 5-12 Euros.
But you have private albergues that charge around 12-20 Euros and of course a lot of hostals and hotels.
Look here at this Spanish site to get an idea about what options there are in the towns and what they cost.
www.gronze.com

Anyhow.
Your first 3-4 days might be hectic where you have to be creative with finding a place to stay.
A lot of pilgrims, strangers to each others, share a room at hotels - 2,3,4,5 persons - be openminded and I believe you will find your way.

So prepare yourself to be adventurous and keep your spirit high.
If you are not a young person then pull out the youth in you :)

And remember:

Everything flows
Flow with it.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

PS

Oh yes.
It is not a race you are entering unless you make it a race yourself.
Don't listen to much to the people who creates a lot of stress in you by booking far ahead.
There is a lot of stress inducing talk on the Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey All, I arrive hopefully tomorrow to SJPDP. I have no accommodation booked for the first few days. Are places available ? What are the best app to book or is it possible to arrive and ask at the door?
Best of luck! I arrive in two weeks and just booked my first night accommodation but no joy for an intermediate stop.

OK, you now realise you have hit peak season.
It is what it is......

I would just say, be prepared to be flexible up until Pamplona.
The beds during those first days from St Jean often fill up quickly.

Roncesvalles and Zubiri are choke points in peak season, often with more Pilgrims that beds.
Buy hey, you might get lucky.

Also consider intermediate villages rather than popular places.
After Roncesvalles for example you have Burguette, Espinal, Biskereta.

Be prepared if all the beds are gone to move on to the next village, get a bus, taxi or whatever.
The crowds disperse a bit after Pamplona.

If you need to break up the first day, you can book the Mountain Shuttle close to the Pilgrim's office.

I hope you prove us all wrong and find a bed OK :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
OK, you now realise you have hit peak season.
It is what it is......

I would just say, be prepared to be flexible up until Pamplona.
The beds during those first days from St Jean often fill up quickly.

Roncesvalles and Zubiri are choke points in peak season, often with more Pilgrims that beds.
Buy hey, you might get lucky.

Also consider intermediate villages rather than popular places.
After Roncesvalles for example you have Burguette, Espinal, Biskereta.

Be prepared if all the beds are gone to move on to the next village, get a bus, taxi or whatever.
The crowds disperse a bit after Pamplona.

If you need to break up the first day, you can book the Mountain Shuttle close to the Pilgrim's office.

I hope you prove us all wrong and find a bed OK :)
I will need to draw on the “luck of the Irish” ☘️ thanks for your detailed reply. I will post in the next few days how my adventures went.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola

Well.. I think you are brave to start your Camino without a plan!
Will it create problems for you?
Maybe.
It all depends on who you are and what you expect.
As the other posts show, you will be starting with a lot of other people. Many who have planned their Camoino for months if not years.
Some will have their whole Camino booked with places to sleep. Most will have a plan for the first 3-5-7 days after which they will adjust their planning to 1 or 2 days ahead.
And then there will be a few who will be camping out or roughing it (if thats a word?..).
One thing that brings options and sollutions.. as it sometimes is in our world.. is how much funding you have. The more you have the more options you will have.
A lot of pilgrims wants to stay at the budget Albergues (hostals for pilgrims) which cost around 5-12 Euros.
But you have private albergues that charge around 12-20 Euros and of course a lot of hostals and hotels.
Look here at this Spanish site to get an idea about what options there are in the towns and what they cost.
www.gronze.com

Anyhow.
Your first 3-4 days might be hectic where you have to be creative with finding a place to stay.
A lot of pilgrims, strangers to each others, share a room at hotels - 2,3,4,5 persons - be openminded and I believe you will find your way.

So prepare yourself to be adventurous and keep your spirit high.
If you are not a young person then pull out the youth in you :)

And remember:

Everything flows
Flow with it.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

PS

Oh yes.
It is not a race you are entering unless you make it a race yourself.
Don't listen to much to the people who creates a lot of stress in you by booking far ahead.
There is a lot of stress inducing talk on the Camino.
Wow! Thank you.

I am ready to rock and roll.

Currently sitting in Bordeaux having a leffe. Train to SJPDP soon.

I am sad to hear about this stress inducing talk that is the absolute opposite of what I plan to express / pass on to others. This is a pilgrimage / walk to enjoy with many challenges. Thank you for making me aware of such. 👌🏻 I will battle on through it please god. 👏🏼

Don't understand you guys... theres beds in albergues available in SJPDP tomorrow, theres beds in Espinal available the day after, there is a bed in at 50€ in Zubiri the day later. Thats only from bookingcom and I'd guess situation at location might be better. I know it is a busy week, but it is not the weekend, so i guess theres some chance the OP won't sleep under some bridge.

edit: strike the 50€ bed in Zubiri, Palo de Avellano even lists more than a dozen available beds for the 12th...
Thanks Anhalter, you definitely lowered my panic levels yesterday evening. I am super excited to embrace all that it brings the good the bad the ugly. Check out what happened to me on my plane journey over… spilled coffee all over me. A quick stop to the loo in Bordeaux meant I could change shirts and I am now down to 1 clean top left already ha! 😄

Attachments

• 4D6BB42F-4991-4C51-97C7-C64047843B98.jpeg
    4D6BB42F-4991-4C51-97C7-C64047843B98.jpeg
    770.9 KB · Views: 18
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks Anhalter, you definitely lowered my panic levels yesterday evening. I am super excited to embrace all that it brings the good the bad the ugly. Check out what happened to me on my plane journey over… spilled coffee all over me. A quick stop to the loo in Bordeaux meant I could change shirts and I am now down to 1 clean top left already ha! 😄
All part of the experience, do not fret about it ... you will see many of us the worse for wear. If that is all that happens to you on this camino, you are golden. Buen Camino 🙋‍♀️

I walked my first Camino in 2007 (56 yr old female at that time) and even then I was aware that I may need to ‘sleep on the church steps’ at some point.
In 2022 there was a day/ night when I thought I might have to spend the night at a basis bus depot - with only shelter, benches, water and power point. I told myself I can do anything for one night.
Remember that municipal Albergues don’t take bookings - arrive early and you will get a bed.
And you will figure it out as you go. Gronze.com will give all levels of accommodation.
May blessings and good fortune be with you.
Buen Camino ❤️🚶

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Hey All, I arrive hopefully tomorrow to SJPDP. I have no accommodation booked for the first few days. Are places available ? What are the best app to book or is it possible to arrive and ask at the door?
check with Beiari, they have bunks for those pilgrims that did not have enough time to reserve. here is their info,
  • +33.559372468 +33.630028667
  • info@beilari.info
  • 40 rue de la Citadelle 64220 SAINT-JEAN-PIED-DE-PORT

Don't ignore higher end options if you need them. e.g. ask at the tourist office (not pilgrim office) if there are any rooms in hotels / taxi forward and then taxi return to continue walking. After Pamplona it gets easier.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm worried now. I'm starting in SJPdP on the 24th of September (hopefully). I thought that still busy I could forego booking ahead.
Thinking heavy pilgrim trains only from Sarria in September...
Should I book ahead? Makes no sense farther than 2 days though, has things happen on the trail, not always as you expect...

I'm worried now. I'm starting in SJPdP on the 24th of September (hopefully). I thought that still busy I could forego booking ahead.
Thinking heavy pilgrim trains only from Sarria in September...
Should I book ahead? Makes no sense farther than 2 days though, has things happen on the trail, not always as you expect...
The second half of September should be much quieter than the first two weeks. But I would probably still book the first few nights, and if you want to split the stage between SJPdP and Roncesvalles you will need to book at Orisson or Borda. Or you can book the Mountain Shuttle from Express Bourricot.

I am in Roncesvalles at the moment. Yes, apart from the reserved beds (nearly all totally booked these weeks) we have 62 beds for walk-in pilgrims. They fill up very quickly, the last few days all our (245) beds were sold out at 3/3.30 pm and every day we are sad we have to send away many exhausted pilgrims.

Listen to @Ianinam, new pilgrims! We consider ourselves lucky to have her as a forum member and that she shares updates of the booking status of the Roncesvalles albergue. It is an excellent "thermometer" to measure how busy it is between SJPP and Pamplona which is a known "bottleneck" for accommodation in early May and early September.

As far as I can tell, SJPP is never "fully booked". Their Camino Pilgrim Association in their Welcome Pilgrim Office do their utmost to find beds for everyone who enters through their door and they do succeed. However, sometimes the "beds" that latecomers get are mattresses in an old community building or sports hall.

Roncesvalles which is much smaller and has some beds in the few hotels and 245 beds in the big albergue is "completo" on several weeks of the year in May and in September. Then it means "walk on" (if you still can) or "get a taxi", sometimes as far as Pamplona.

I fail to understand the fuss about not wanting to book in SJPP and in Roncesvalles. When you know for certain that you will spend the night there - and the overwhelming majority of those who have not walked before will spend the night in those two places - why not book beforehand when you can???

" Palo de Avellano even lists more than a dozen available beds for the 12th..."

Yep. I've always thought of El Palo Avellano as the bellwether for what's happening before Pamplona and a good indication for what will be happening after Pamplona. The sky is not falling.

Re:Beilari- of all the places to suggest, probably one of THE most popular albergue in SJPDP!!!
Of course anything could happen but I'd be very surprised if there are accommodations there....

Hi, it sounds like you are resourceful and willing to learn. In my experience this will get you through and you will have a great Camino.

I left on what is still probably the busiest day recorded without any reservations and I never had an instance where I didn't have a bed.

Walk your Camino and enjoy, resolving issues as you walk and please spread that calm attitude of yours as many people who you encounter will need it.

Buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Yep. I've always thought of El Palo Avellano as the bellwether for what's happening before Pamplona and a good indication for what will be happening after Pamplona. The sky is not falling.
I use it cause it seems to be the only albergue in Zubiri showing their capacities on their website, the others might list some on booking, but usually not all. Palo has their own booking page and afaik they list every bed there.
However i never slept there myself. Had dinner once, which was actually pretty decent.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Hey all, I booked into beilari first night in St. Jean no problems. Got accommodation in Roncesvalles while drinking a beer in st Jean day before. Got a bed in zubiri while in Roncesvalles and sharing an apartment with 4 pilgrims this evening in Pamplona
That's how you do it!
Things look very different two or three days before your arrival versus two or three days after your arrival.
Please let us know how you found the descent into Zubiri... Was the weather clear? And was the ground still wet? The path dry, etc.?
Everyone on the forum recommends Albergue Cirauqui Casa Maralotx!!

Buen Camino!!!

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...
Hello, My question is: For those of you who do a little bit of planning, do you use some sort of list of all towns and distances to have a general idea what towns you will pass through? (More...
Anyone struggling to find a place in Los arcos 6 km beyond is albergue sansol oasis.I can highly recommend excellent host and food
Hi, We walked the Camino de Santiago for the first time in May & June this year, and absolutely loved it. We plan on walking the first week again in October (with a view to going back later next...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back