Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving in Oviedo on Sunday- where to get walking pole?

mariada

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo August 2024
Hi all,

I'm arriving into Oviedo airport on a Sunday and ideally I'd like to start walking early on Monday. I've noticed that the sports shops are closed on Sundays. Does anyone know if there are other options for getting a walking pole/stick In Oviedo on a Sunday or how easy it is to get one elsewhere on the route? When I did the Frances, there were often spare sticks in hostels but I'm aware that the Primitivo is very different. I'm not fussy about the type of stick - I used a wooden one on the Frances just for a bit of momentum on the uphill and for steadying on the downhill.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Join Camino Cleanup: Logroño to Burgos May 2025 and Astorga to O'Cebreiro in June.
I saw wooden ones in a souvenir shop near the cathedral, it was Sunday and shop was open.

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are places in Grado to secure walking poles if you're unable to procure before you leave Oviedo. There's a outdoor shop, Deportes Pedro, with walking poles at around 40 Euro and there's a "Chinese bazarre" with poles at 13 Euro.

I hope you have fun!

Attachments

• 20240528_200559.jpg
    20240528_200559.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 18
  • 20240528_200614.jpg
    20240528_200614.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
I bought mine at Decathalon at Oviedo. They were very reasonably priced and I am still using them 3 years later.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I bought mine at Decathalon at Oviedo. They were very reasonably priced and I am still using them 3 years later.

I've used this store but it only opens at 10:00 am. Also you sometimes have to pre-order (click & collect) as they might not have the item on their shelves.

Look in the common ‘chinese’ stores that are in most Spanish towns. You should be able to pick them up for about 10 euros.
They are also called Bazar Chino, Oriental Bazar, Asia Bazar, etc. Try a maps search "near me" as you approach a town or city. Most large towns and cities will have one or more of these shops.

Hope this helps.

Also you sometimes have to pre-order (click & collect) as they might not have the item on their shelves.

Perhaps, but in late May of '23 and '24, there were plenty of poles hanging on the display racks at the Decathlon in Oviedo. They ranged in price from 14 euro per pole and up. I would guess there was at least 50 walking poles on the display.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

Most read last week in this forum

Hola! (English below) Estoy haciendo el Primitivo y me encantaría poder tocar el piano un rato de vez en cuando. ¿Alguien conoce algún albergue, hostal, casa particular o cualquier lugar donde...
There is a shortage of accommodation in Lugo this weekend because of a festival there. The local council is opening a sports hall as temporary accommodation for pilgrims over the weekend. Very...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back