• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • October the 12th 2004 I posted the first post here on this forum. 20 years have passed. Thank you for being such a good group of people and for hanging around. More here in this thread. All the best from Santiago, Ivar
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

April 2025 and Easter pros and cons

Mackcrabs

Time of past OR future Camino
Christmas 2024
It appears things really pick up in early May on the CF. So, my question, is what are pros and cons of starting my pilgrimage a few days before or after Easter 2025? (Crowds, weather, events, other nuances)

I wanted to start mid April. I can push the start of my pilgrimage into late April if there’s an advantage.

Thanks in advance

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Much of Spain will be traveling Holy Week, so trains/planes/buses will be packed those two weekends. Definitely avoid that! Walking during Holy Week is completely dependent on what part of what Camino you are on. A lot of Europeans take that opportunity to walk a section, so I’d avoid walking into Santiago at the end of that week or any major city (Leon, Pamplona, etc).

Much of Spain will be traveling Holy Week, so trains/planes/buses will be packed those two weekends. Definitely avoid that! Walking during Holy Week is completely dependent on what part of what Camino you are on. A lot of Europeans take that opportunity to walk a section, so I’d avoid walking into Santiago at the end of that week or any major city (Leon, Pamplona, etc).
That was so informative! Great advice. I will look into starting ten days after Easter or so. I heard the first week of May is usually the start of the early season. I am trying to avoid that too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That was so informative! Great advice. I will look into starting ten days after Easter or so. I heard the first week of May is usually the start of the early season. I am trying to avoid that too.
Well, Easter Sunday in 2025 is April 20, so ten days after that is the start of May anyway. As trecile said, the best way to avoid these dual rushes would be to start the CF a couple of days after Easter, which would be a week or so before the early May crowd.

@Mackcrabs, you've had a little on 'cons' now for a 'pro' .

I would not avoid walking into Santiago at Easter, rather the opposite in fact. I walked into Santiago on Easter Friday 2023 (along with well over 3,000 others spread across the various caminos), the experience was incredible. The atmosphere, the parades - I absolutely loved it. An experience I felt privileged to share.

Walking into any major city during Semana Santa would likely offer a similar experience.

There is in fact a thread from the rev asking about which town or city he should visit during that period, hopefully somebody will find and link it.

As a general rule I do not like crowds. I am not religious & I knew nothing about Semana Santa. That week was the only week that I had to walk. So I started the Camino Inglès expecting the eight to ten pilgrims that people of the forum were reporting the week prior - and found I was walking with around 100!
Fortunately, because of my time constraints I had pre-booked all of my accommodation. So with this potential worry out of way I was free to simply enjoy. (Others struggled to find a bed at times, at Bruma many had to taxi or walk a further 10 kilometres.)

The Frances will have similar pinch points; you don't mention your start Point. If it is SJPDP then the usual advice would apply - start slow, (even potentially break up the first day) & book through to Pamplona. Or even a day or two beyond to get you past Easter. As mentioned above, even just a few days after Easter things will quieten down considerably. The section hikers predominantly drop off at the weekend, normally at a major town or city ( transport).

Consider timing your entry into one of the major towns to try and enjoy the beauty of this almost unique experience. I'm not sure if that should be Pamplona or not, I guess it depends on how well you do with crowds.

Despite the 'crowd' on trail I found plenty of opportunity for time by myself, at others I enjoyed the company.
Contributors have often commented that even during the busiest of periods on the Frances they can find solitude when desired. (And a bed!).

Weather is very unpredictable and the best we can do is look at historical records. Which shows that pretty much anything can happen. Sometimes April is actually nicer than May. Either way it's spring, a beautiful time of the year.

Keep the Camino momentum going once you return home with After the Camino
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Well friends, I can happy and proudly said that I'll start my sixth time volunteering in St. John the Babtist albergue in Gañon from next October the16th, to October the 31th. If you decided to...
In 2023 I walked the CF from SLPDP. In 2024 I walked the Vía de la Plata from Seville. For 2025 I was/am going to walk the next logical option - the Camino Portuguese. Seeing something different...
Does anybody have any experience with Huellas del Pelegrino in Porto-marin? Lone pilgrim, i am a bit anxious about sleeping top bunk. Recommendations accepted. Thank you.
Anyone been to this one and have comments on it? https://alberguessantabrigida.com/albergue-san-bol/ No neighbors, 260 meters south of the francés, turn off about 4½ kilometers east of Hontanas...
Did my 5th CF this past June. After the first two (2016 & 2018), I felt like that was enough. Then a few years later in 2021 I thought well maybe one more in 2022. When I got back from that one, I...
There is a tomb in the Royal Pantheon in the monastery of Santa María la Real on which is inscribed "Reina Doña Clara Huraca Mujer de Rei Don Sancho". I can't find anything about a queen named...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back