• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another Newbie

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugues Sep 2024
Hi everyone! I am new on this forum (but have been reading threads here for a while) and will be starting for my first Camino on September 16. I will be starting in Porto with the Portuguese coastal and then switch to the central somewhere along the way.

I share my time between Spain and Germany and am currently in Spain for the whole summer, so I started training in the heat to get used to it, as well as carrying my backpack with all my stuff while walking with my poles (I feel a bit weird though doing so in my village.. everyone and their dogs asking me what the heck I am doing.. not many pilgrims around here in Mijas 😅).

I am an urban sketcher and always carry a travel sketchbook with me, so you bet there will be a Camino travel sketchbook in my pack. This is btw how I came to the decision to walk the Camino. I participated in Compostela Illustrada in Santiago in November 2022 (I highly recommend it to anyone who dabbles with pens, pencils, watercolors, markers etc…) and visiting Santiago de Compostela, and meeting many pilgrims who told me about their camino, was an incredible experience. From then on, the idea of starting the journey never left my mind.

I only have 2 weeks at my disposition this year so the Portuguese it will be.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am an urban sketcher and always carry a travel sketchbook with me, so you bet there will be a Camino travel sketchbook in my pack.
Fantastic, please share your sketches from the camino with us! I am a fan of urban sketching and did a bit of beginner dabbling in it during the pandemic. I’d like to get back to trying it again at some point but unfortunately other priorities are taking precedence at the moment.

We also have @Stephan the Painter on the forum who shares his beautiful artwork with us.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for the welcome! I will certainly share my sketches here, although please be indulgent with me 😉.. I have a lot of sketches from Malaga, Madrid, Úbeda etc but nothing together in one sketchbook so I am very much looking forward to making my camino travel sketchbook.

Welcome from another newbie. We hope to walk the Frances in March 2025 but am also considering the Portuguese. I have zero artistic talent but appreciate others who do so please post your sketches.

I feel a bit weird though doing so in my village.. everyone and their dogs asking me what the heck I am doing.. not many pilgrims around here in Mijas 😅).
I know what you mean about people giving you weird looks when you go training with your poles, but you're lucky - at least people ask! I'm currently resident in Germany and where I live almost nobody speaks to you unless they already know you 🤷‍♂️

So all I get is the weird looks, without the conversation....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

For the past couple of years, the mods have volunteered to create calendars that show forum members’ names, date of departure, and departure city. The hope is that it gives people a chance to...
My brother Bruno was traveling the Santiago paths and the last time we had contact with him was when he arrived in Santiago de Compostela. We haven't heard from him since August 17th. If you...
Hello fellow pilgrims, I am planning on opening an Albergue on the Portuguese route. I have walked both the Frances and the Portuguese route. I speak pretty decent Portuguese and am looking for...
Hello, I am going to be walking my first Camino this spring and will spend two weeeks in Spain. I will take a relaxed walk from Sarria to Santiago. I will be almost 79 years old and walk five...
Hello everyone, I’m Giacomo from Italy, and I’m excited to join this community!I’ve been running almost every day for years now, though typically for shorter distances. Recently, I’ve been...
I am in Larrasoaña.. is there a service to get my pack to pamplona in the morning?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.