• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Another kind of pilgrimage...

Friend from Barquinha

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
None yet; perhaps the Portugese (2021?)
I thought forum members might find this intriguing, as it is an annually scheduled pilgrimage, of sorts, in rural central Spain and Portugal.

A small-boat convoy travels, over a month and a half while the weather is still not too hot, down the Tejo (Tagus) from eastern Spain through central Portugal. It carries a litter with the statue of The Lady of the Avieiros and the Tejo, and over the period from May 18 through June 30, traverses the riversides of 69 communities, with visits in the communities.

Here are the pictures from our community in Vila Nova da Barquinha, where it has just visited. This is from VNdB's Facebook page--though you don't need to be a FB user to see the photos. Just close the popup that asks you to log in, and you'll have access to the pictures.

Note that our bombeiros (firefighters) are quite involved in this. Note also that shared food and communal good spirits figure largely in ceremonies like this!

Here is a story from the local press about the pilgrimage:

Here is a modern-day example of the church coming to the people, rather than vice-versa!

Bom caminho!

[Edit: I've changed "firemen" to "firefighters." My bad; a lot of the volunteer fire-brigade members across Portugal, including here, are women, these days!]

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum