• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

And now food and drinks...

JustOneGuy

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug 2024: GR130, Apr 25: Camino Primitivo?
I'm sorry to flood the forum with new threads these days, but I only made the decision to do this 8-day walk two weeks ago, and I'm starting it in just over one, Saturday, August 24

Now, granted that:

1) I will not do the CF or a "standard" camino but the "Camino Real de la Costa y Medianía," or GR130 (see link), which does not have many refreshment places (zero in some 20+ km stages that are also quite strenuous)

2) I would like to stay within the limit of 3 liters of water (it can get very hot here) and 0.5 kg of food.

What foods and liquids do you suggest I bring?

As for liquids I am thinking of bringing at least half sports drinks, and buy them everytime I find one of those local, small supermarket typical here. What are your thoughts?

As for food, on the other hand, I am rather undecided whether to go for sport bars of the kind used by ultra runners, or bring normal foods such as fruit, bread, ham (dinner will be at some small restaurant or at the Hostel).

Advice as usual very welcome. And thanks as always in advance for your time and comments! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hmm. I try to avoid the sugar rush of most so called “sports drinks”. If I think l might be losing electrolytes through excessive sweating (perspiration for the ladies 😉) I’ll use those sachets of salts recommended for diarrhoea sufferers - Dioralyte is a brand that comes to mind other brands are no doubt available and from your friendly local pharmacia. For 20km, even a strenuous 20km I’d not likely carry any food. It’s just weight and unnecessary weight at that. I’ll always have a tin of sardines or tuna in my pack and probably some source of carbs - puffed rice or oatcakes for instance - but not with “lunch” in mind more an unplanned event.

A good breakfast and at least a half an hour to digest it before I tackle the first hill and a full meal as soon as possible after I finish the days walking suit me.

Sugar rush, crash, sugar rush, crash - it’s a great way to have a bad day

Hmm. I try to avoid the sugar rush of most so called “sports drinks”. If I think l might be losing electrolytes through excessive sweating (perspiration for the ladies 😉) I’ll use those sachets of salts recommended for diarrhoea sufferers - Dioralyte is a brand that comes to mind other brands are no doubt available and from your friendly local pharmacia. For 20km, even a strenuous 20km I’d not likely carry any food. It’s just weight and unnecessary weight at that. I’ll always have a tin of sardines or tuna in my pack and probably some source of carbs - puffed rice or oatcakes for instance - but not with “lunch” in mind more an unplanned event.

A good breakfast and at least a half an hour to digest it before I tackle the first hill and a full meal as soon as possible after I finish the days walking suit me.

Same for me. Actually , I talked with my physio today about energy drinks. He runs marathons and even he does not drink them.

Btw , this lady sweats :cool:. No discussion about that!
And drinks orujo after that main meal ;).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Thanks for the suggestion, @Tincatinker: I am considering avoiding the energy drinks, but to be honest, I wouldn't like to stay a full day (I calculated 6-8 hours for the hardest ones) without food, specially in case of an emergency.

Maybe for some stages, but others here are quite desolate, it is possible not to meet anyone for hours (or all day, as has happened to me before) and I would like to play it safe. Maybe 500 gm of food is a bit much anyway.

In which case it might actually be smarter to buy regular food before those specific stages, rather than carrying it around with me all the time 👍.

My physio! also tells me to carry Dioralyte or similar and take each day. I tend to carry some Bread/cracker and cheese always. From Ireland last time I brought a Tea brack and it lasted for 6 days, small slices with cheese as snacks. Chocolate particularly Valor Dark is pretty good (with almonds)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@JustOneGuy 6 - 8 hours without food is nothing of consequence. Think about it. Do you really do three meals a day? Or maybe two and a snack, or even one substantial meal and a couple of snacks. Unless you have a diabetes like challenge then one nourishing meal in 24 hours is all your body needs - your habituated mind may demand more. Most people can survive, perhaps not comfortably, but survive without food for 5 days at least. Without water? 24 - 36 hours at best. With the hike you’re planning I’d use that 500gm for extra water not some bocadillo and a lump of fruit. Note I said I always carry protein and carbs for an emergency situation but not for a picnic.

In the morning I like to load up with as reasonably much protein, fats and carbs as available breakfast can provide - even if I’ve doggy-bagged it from last nights resto and I’ll do my best to drink at least a litre of water between waking and first steps. For me there’s no point in setting out hungry and thirsty. The rest is just custom

I always carry a couple of small packages of nuts as emergency or non-emergency rations. They are a very efficient food source, and need no special care. I have no wish to do more complex meal planning on the Camino, although a piece or two of fruit is always welcome, too.

Thanks guys!

To be honest, @Tincatinker I am not convinced that walking with just some light snacks would be a good idea for me. I have a pretty high metabolism, at least for my age, and I don't want to turn this hike into a race against my permanent hunger 😵‍💫. And I would prefer to stop a few times to have a snack AND a (light) lunch. Plus I want to have some emergency food with me in case of an accident, even small, that may delay me one night.

@unadara: OK for crackers and cheese (good idea), but I understand that Dioralyte is for diarrhea. Why did your physio suggest that?

I will certainly add some nuts, @C clearly , Only problem, I go... nuts for them and risk to finish them in the first half an hour... Same with chocolate! :cool:

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For snacks, I like nuts with chocolate.
Instead of sports drinks, I bring Nuun tablets (electrolytes + minerals) that dissolve in water. One tablet per litre of water. I drink quite a few litres of water per day but restrict myself to just one tablet. A tube of 10 tablets weighs 75 grams and costs about C$1.25 per tablet

JustOne, if you've previously done endurance hikes/events before, you already know how much water you need for a hike of a given length, how many electrolytes you need, and what foods you can tolerate/digest when it's hot.

PS. I suspect Unadara's physio recommended that product because Unadara doesn't like/ can't tolerate other electrolyte drinks.

To be blunt, it looks to me like you already know the answers for yourself, but you don't like how much the answers weigh, so you're hoping we have a magic product up our collective sleeves that will work for you that you haven't already thought of.

Not sure that we do.

Personally, I carry electrolyte powders to mix into my daily water because I'm a very heavy sweat-er. And I would absolutely carry a full 3 liters for a day long hike, if not more...but see above. That works *for me.*

Re food, I have the metabolism of a hypothyroid tortoise ( been measured, and I am actually hypothyroid 😉. So absolutely none of my food preferences, particularly when tired and hot, will work for you. But I would lean to the nuts/cheese/crackers options myself. If you crave them out of boredom, then stuff em in the bottom of your pack, so you can't reach them easily or mindlessly.

Buena suerte.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When faced with no 'top up' spots along the way, I tend to rely on..........

1 litre of water per 10 kms. (will vary by person and weather of course)
500 ml of that will be Aquarius (sugar free)

For food, I did quite a bit of research on that and settled on.

Some carbs for a short-medium term burn. Like a wholemeal bread roll.
Proteins. Fats. Oils for a longer term burn.

Sardines in olive oil, hard cheese, Banana, chocolate, nuts/dried fruit mix........
I carried enough for a very small emergency meal in case nothing was open at my destination.

The roll and Sardines were really the 'emergency' meal.
Though I actually stopped carrying them after a couple of weeks
They did become breakfast a couple of times though.

The banana, nuts, etc were to snack along the way.

I trialled some electrolyte tablets too last year. They were great (Salt Sticks on Amazon)
But I couldn't carry enough for 60 days, so used Aquarius when they ran out.

Afternote. I don't lose weight on a Camino! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I am diabetic and find a morning meal with hard boiled eggs, baby Bell Cheese, maybe yogurt, can keep me going longer that carbs. Noon, another Cheese and some walnuts. Maybe one electrolyte drink or better yet a banana in the evening or after I quit for the day. Supper, something more hearty like pasta or lentils and some protein. Veggies like tomato, salads, etc. Are good, but fill up on some fats and protein. Salt your food and you'll miss the electrolytes less.

I have just finished walking one of the St Olav's Ways, which has similar characteristics to what you're expecting. While there were stretches where one passed a supermarket every day, on others there mightn't be any for up to five days walking. And many places one stayed did not provide meals, but expected pilgrims to bring their own food. Others would provide meals, sometimes just the evening meal, but at others dinner and breakfast were provided, and if breakfast was provided, it was normally possible to pack a lunch bag. As a result, logistics planning included making sure that one had sufficient food to cater for all the different combinations that one faced until one was going to be able to shop again.

My own experience was that I could not go for a full day on snacks. In the mornings, I needed something more substantial after about three hours walking, and again a couple of hours later. Where I could, this was a cheese and meat sandwich or half a similarly filled bun, although there were days where I made do with a commercially available crispbread sandwich (or two). Initially, I relied on packets of sliced cheese and sliced meats, but eventually settled on some Baby Bel cheeses and a whole salami in my food bag. I also used tubes or cans of fish or liver paste, and tubed mayonnaise as spreads.

When I could, I would get oranges, bananas and apples. Sometimes, I would have to keep a banana in my pack, but my preference was to buy a couple of each, and consume a banana and orange after I had done my shopping, and then the others the following morning. I would keep an apple to eat during the day. I did the same thing with yoghurts and single meal breakfast cereal packs where I could.

The supermarkets had a reasonable range of dehydrated meals packaged so that they were relatively easy to pack into spare spaces in my pack. These were far from gourmet delights, mainly rice or pasta based. Sometimes, when I wasn't going far after shopping, I could get a packaged meal like a salad or meat and vegetable combination, and on one occasion, shared a frozen pizza with a fellow pilgrim. I normally carried packet soups as well to supplement these other packaged foods for an evening meal.

I carried a mix of muesli bars, protein bars, chocolate snack bars, and soft lollies, depending upon what I could find when I visited the supermarket. Most of the time I also had a small amount of dried fruit and nuts. I carried a few tea bags, and only had coffee where that was provided in a herberge. Outside of the cities, Oslo, Lillehamer and Opdall, I only passed one other cafe and that was at Dovre. They just don't exist in the same way as one sees along the various camino routes in Spain and Portugal.

There are some incidentals you might want to consider. Where I could, I would collect sachets of salt, pepper and sugar. It is possible to make a reasonable re-hydration mix with just salt and sugar if you cannot get a reasonable commercial mix. I also carried a reserve dehydrated evening meal, a pack of dehydrated mashed potato and a reserve single serve porridge sachet. For some time I carried a single meal sized tin of fish in tomato sauce - terrible stuff until I was hungry enough to eat it.

The major issue with all of this is the supermarket packaging. Sometimes bread buns were available as singles, more often in packs of two, and in a couple of places, they only had packs of three. I was reluctant to discard the extras, so they went into the food bag. There were similar issues with the sizes of packs available, and I had to be careful not to load up too much with larger packages if I couldn't consume some immediately. I doubt my food back was ever below 500 gm, and sometimes well over a kilogram, especially at the end of the day after shopping. I was always keen to each as much out of it at dinner and breakfast in those circumstances.

Getting re-hydration mixes proved substantially more difficult, and I tried several varieties over the journey, but was never really happy with any of them. In Portugal and Spain, I normally get these from a pharmacy, which were only present in the major towns, and even then were some distance from the walking route. I would add these to my 500 ml bottle when I finished for the day, and rinse it out before refilling it. I never added anything but water to the bladder.

Water was rarely a problem. I carry a 2 li water bladder and a 500 ml bottle. I only completely emptied the bladder on two occasions, and was on the last little bit in the bladder on several more. When I do empty the bladder, I decant the bottle into the bladder and refill the bottle. I carry water purification tablets to treat the water in the bottle if I have to refill it from an untreated source. In the circumstances you are facing, I wonder whether there will be opportunities to collect water along the way. If there is, it might be possible to reduce your initial load to one or two litres in a bladder, add a supplementary 500 ml or so bottle and refill more regularly. Puritabs are far lighter than that extra water if it is going to be reasonably readily available.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So like if I am out there I carry salami, cheddar cheese and tortillas. (not the Spanish kind, the Mexican ones).... You'd be surprised at how long that stuff can last in your pack with zero refrigeration. I also bring along some tabasco sauce or similar. IF i do happen to be near a supermercado I supplement with those 115 gram packs of sliced turkey, maybe some fresh mozzarella, a tomato, and an avocado. You want to meet a woman? Share an avocado.I might get hate but just trust me on that one.

Bananas are good too.

Then of course there is the dark chocolate, nuts (either cashews or almonds), And either dried apricots or prunes for reasons I'd rather not discuss.

I also carry a ziplock filled with salt. (mainly for the avocados).

To be blunt, it looks to me like you already know the answers for yourself, but you don't like how much the answers weigh, so you're hoping we have a magic product up our collective sleeves that will work for you that you haven't already thought of.
In truth, since many decades I do for work, not for leisure, many outdoor activities in very difficult environments and sometime extreme isolation: above 5000 m in the Atacama Desert, or at -80 C in Antarctica, for very long periods (years sometime). In addition, when I was young I did a lot of hiking in the mountains: Alte Vie, Dolomites Apennines. More recently, while I was living there, some hikes in the Chilean Andes. I also climbed a little bit, and did a lot of caving. Let's say I could manage emergency situations.

But those were other times. There was no internet. I remember when I went on somewhat long expeditions (rarely long hikes, more cave exploration in the mountain that took weeks of prepraration) I would fill my backpack - a very heavy Berghaus Cyclops Rock 65L - with anything and everything, not caring at all that they had to help me put it on! I remember that for a long hike in the Apennines with a small group of friends (unlike me all basketball players) my backpack weighed 26 kg, about a third of my weight (at the time...). Between ropes, carabiners, gear, carbide, lamp, food, water, the 65 L of the Cyclops was not large enough.

Today it is different. My recent job and family have led me to forget those kinds of adventures.

But months ago we took a long drive with my partner (and our big cat...) to Cantabria, Asturias, Galicia, and Portugal. Visiting a small village with a beautiful Roman bridge, Ponte Maceira, I saw many people walking. I had heard about the Camino de Santiago, of course, so I started talking to some of them and bothering them with many questions. One gentleman, I think in his late 60s, told me that he was doing the CdS, that it was relaxing, that he would do a stage and then stop for a day. He was the image of calm and happiness. It was pouring rain, yet we were talking quietly just on the roman bridge. Then we saw a young lady walking with a child no more than 7-8 years old and a heavy backpack. The child was talking and singing happily in English in the rain.

We were mesmerized.

Once alone, my partner looked at me and said, "What do you think? Shall we try it too?"

I was so amazed. Usually it's me who brings up whimsical ideas. Not her. But at that exact moment I loved her even more than usual, because after 42 years together she never ceases to surprise me....

So we began to think and prepare for it. Unfortunately, however, before April due to work reasons it is impossible for her to do that. So I decided in the meantime to go around the island where we live and try stuff and equipment. Also a kind of "tribute" to an Island who have hosted me in recent years and given me so much satisfaction and happiness.

To conclude, after this long introduction, I know a little something, both about human physiology and nutrition, but I always try to keep an open mind, to learn from others. At least to learn if there is a better way of doing things. It doesn't matter that I'm 65 years old. I learned a lot from our son, even from children. Always.

That's why I came into this forum. I see that many of you know more, and although in the end I feel free to choose the solution that seems most convenient for me and my particular situation, I listen carefully to everything you write with great care and respect.

Thanks for your patience, if you reached the end of this comment.

EDIT: I add the only picture I took of the lady and her son walking under the rain at Ponte Maceira. The perfect image of good parenting, in my humble opinion. Who knows is someone writing in the forum...

20240430_114224.jpg

Last edited:
I'm with Damien and Doug, and in the circumstances you expect to experience carry similar items to them. Tortillas, or wraps as I call them are very commonly used by long distance hikers for the reasons above. (Edited to add: I carry mine in a three liters zip lock, they easily last for a week). I quite like to get some salad to add to the cheese and salami whenever I can, packets of Mayo or a mini tube is well worthwhile. A few times I've gotten salad from the restaurant the night before, I just give them a small ziplock bag and ask them to fill it- I've seldom been charged! I love my chippies, so often have a bag as well.

I try to eat an Apple, a banana, and an orange every day, they are my primary source of electrolytes. At least one of those will be carried with me each morning. Heavy, but think of it as additional water. Excellent and fairly substantial snacks too. I much prefer to just drink fresh OJ than carry the orange whenever possible!
In Spain I often drink a half litre of Aquarius per day, if available consider carrying that. You can get packets of electrolytes from your pharmacy, my preference is simply half a teaspoon of salt and one teaspoon sugar to half a litre of water if I feel it's necessary. (It's why the chippies and choc are so good, you get the salt and a great Crunchy snack too!).

I, too, carry nuts (preferably salted cashews, or walnuts) and some dark chocolate.
(Whilst I appreciate your point think of it as in exercise in restraint!)
One hip Pocket is absolutely full with homemade dried fruit, it typically lasts me between 1- 2 weeks. (Banana, apple, kiwi). I then just buy whatever dried fruit I can.
If wraps are not available I will buy bread buns like Doug, worst case crackers.

I always carry a couple of emergency items: 2 cupasoup packets, and a meal of couscous. For me this is half a cup with a teaspoon of dried stock (flavour and salt). I add as hot a water as possible from the tap (just over half a cup), although you can just cold soak it if needs be. Experiment at home!
When that is gone a packet of two-minute noodles.
If I anticipate problems I will supplement that with a small tin of fish.
Oh, I also carry a sports bar or a muesli bar, whatever's available. Plus a Snickers bar - I only ever eat half at a time

If you think getting breakfast might be a problem Doug's idea of single serve porridge sachets is great, I've used them a couple of times. Get the ones with dried yoghurt. Warm water from the tap worked fine. I put in some of my dried banana as well, yum! Personally I prefer two sachets, one was not really enough (and I'm not a big eater). I carry a couple of sachets of instant coffee and one of hot chocolate.

To the naysayers, do I need this stuff? Nope. Does it help me enjoy my walk more? Yep!

We all walk our own Camino

Last edited:
I always carry a couple of emergency items: 2 cupasoup packets, and a meal of couscous. For me this is half a cup with a teaspoon of dried stock (flavour and salt). I add as hot a water as possible from the tap (just over half a cup), although you can just cold soak it if needs be. Experiment at home!
When that is gone a packet of two-minute noodles.
Unlike many of my Italian compatriots, after several decades abroad I learned to eat everything. But there is a law in Italy that if you are seen eating reheated noodles you automatically lose your citizenship.... 😆

I am joking of course.... Thank you for your excellent advice, Peter!

Last edited:
Something that many people elsewhere suggest is Parmigiano Reggiano: high in protein and calories, much more than mozzarella and ANY other cheese. And it lasts forever.

Another product that is suggested more than salami or ham is Speck, used also by mountaineers and antarctic explorers for its high level of protein.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
But there is a law in Italy that if you are seen eating heated noodles you automatically lose your citizenship.... 😆
Yeah, but I don’t think these count, they’re Asian noodles 😉.
Anyway, you’ll be hidden away in your room 😂.
Incidentally, another reason for these is they’re light, and can be eaten uncooked if necessary. I quite like the crunchiness actually!

Parmesan: couldn’t agree more, delicious!!
I just buy whatever hard cheese I can find, you have the advantage of starting from home.
When doing the same I started with two days lunches packed, frozen! First thawed in time, second was well wrapped and fresh enough on day two. Had 1.5 kg food, inc. muesli mixed with milk powder, dried and fresh fruit etc. Worth it! Here in Germany often walk the entire day with zero facilities. Incidentally, remember church graveyards often have water tap’s, although not always potable. (I have a filter, 85g)

Thanks guys!

To be honest, @Tincatinker I am not convinced that walking with just some light snacks would be a good idea for me. I have a pretty high metabolism, at least for my age, and I don't want to turn this hike into a race against my permanent hunger 😵‍💫. And I would prefer to stop a few times to have a snack AND a (light) lunch. Plus I want to have some emergency food with me in case of an accident, even small, that may delay me one night.

@unadara: OK for crackers and cheese (good idea), but I understand that Dioralyte is for diarrhea. Why did your physio suggest that?

I will certainly add some nuts, @C clearly , Only problem, I go... nuts for them and risk to finish them in the first half an hour... Same with chocolate! :cool:
Using a generic, over the counter anti-diarraheal medication slows down the movement of waste through your GI system. This allows more time for the colon, in particular, to absorb water, which contains all the electrolytes.

Diarrhea accelerates intestinal motility and flushes electrolytes from your system, before they can be absorbed. Coincidentally, that is why dehydration features so prominently in any illness involving diarrhea.

When on Camino, I frequently take a half-dose (2 mg) of loperamide before sleep. That slows motility down enough so I do not get the "urge to purge" whilst walking the next day. More importantly, it increases absorption of electrolytes in my colon by slowing intestinal motility down, without causing constipation - your experience may vary, as everyone is different. This, combined with using rehydration salts (to add to water), available at any farmacia, will keep your system running well - or at least predictably. That has been my experience.

Hope this helps.

Tom

One more question, guys:

Why do many of you prefer crackers to bread? Personal preference, smaller volume, longer shelf life perhaps? Or nutritional reasons?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
All of the above (except nutritional).
If I'm somewhere with access to fresh bread I'll happily get a bocadillo etc.
The crackers are for those unexpected occasions - which could be days or even a week down the line.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm sorry to flood the forum with new threads these days, but I only made the decision to do this 8-day walk two weeks ago, and I'm starting it in just over one, Saturday, August 24

Now, granted that:

1) I will not do the CF or a "standard" camino but the "Camino Real de la Costa y Medianía," or GR130 (see link), which does not have many refreshment places (zero in some 20+ km stages that are also quite strenuous)

2) I would like to stay within the limit of 3 liters of water (it can get very hot here) and 0.5 kg of food.

What foods and liquids do you suggest I bring?

As for liquids I am thinking of bringing at least half sports drinks, and buy them everytime I find one of those local, small supermarket typical here. What are your thoughts?

As for food, on the other hand, I am rather undecided whether to go for sport bars of the kind used by ultra runners, or bring normal foods such as fruit, bread, ham (dinner will be at some small restaurant or at the Hostel).

Advice as usual very welcome. And thanks as always in advance for your time and comments!

A few years back (not so many) an article appeared in the Lancet reporting research that the best energy/ pick-up drink was a glass of milk.
De Colores
Bogong

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Unlike many of my Italian compatriots, after several decades abroad I learned to eat everything. But there is a law in Italy that if you are seen eating reheated noodles you automatically lose your citizenship.... 😆

I am joking of course.... Thank you for your excellent advice, Peter!
Next day fried rigatoni in Ragu is wonderful. You have to fry it enough to get the crispy edges!!

A few years back (not so many) an article appeared in the Lancet reporting research that the best energy/ pick-up drink was a glass of milk.
De Colores
Bogong

Interesting you say that.

My nutrition and hydration research for a longer Camino last year, took me to a YouTube channel called "GearSkeptic" who had some great research to share. I recall him saying that one of the best things to consume for 'recovery' 15-30 minutes after finishing walking for the day..........was Chocolate Milk. I think the additional sugars helped?

But could I find it on Camino?
Fresh milk seems hard to find in Spain. At least it was on the VdlP.

De Colores
Bogong
Thanks. I've read that info on multiple occasions, good to know that it's also in such a reputable source.

Like @Robo, I've never found fresh milk in Spain. I assume it exists but I've just been looking in the wrong places?
I bought those long life yogurt drinks. Not the most palatable but bearable, also useful for a breakfast on the go, or when you knew that everything was going to be closed.

@Robo, Gearskeptic is amazing, love his stuff.
Yes he did say chocolate milk was excellent, although being him he went on to make his one rehydration drink (powdered mix) that was better still.
Something I would consider if I was through hiking, but not for the Camino.

Next day fried rigatoni in Ragu is wonderful. You have to fry it enough to get the crispy edges!!
That's different, come ooooon.... :cool:

And if you really like it, try "Spaghetti all'Assassina"! I do it once a week!!! Not an easy recipe, but incredibly simple and once you tuned it up... well, you'll thank me.

Last edited:
Like @Robo, I've never found fresh milk in Spain. I assume it exists but I've just been looking in the wrong places?
But could I find it on Camino?
Fresh milk seems hard to find in Spain. At least it was on the VdlP.
That's right, is not easy to find it here.

At least here (small island in the Canary archipelago) there are 4 major supermarket brands: Mercadona (a Spanish brand), Lidl, SPAR and Dyno (Hyperdino, Superdino, etc.). I find fresh milk regularly only at Lidl. Sometime also at the largest Hyperdino (but more expensive).

Last edited:
I bought those long life yogurt drinks. Not the most palatable but bearable, also useful for a breakfast on the go, or when you knew that everything was going to be closed.
Love those bottles of Yoghurt!

With mostly long life milk, maybe that makes the coffee taste so different, and so good? :rolleyes:

In my best 'poor' Spanish, I have asked a few times for fresh milk, and just got a strange look :oops:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
All of the above (except nutritional).
If I'm somewhere with access to fresh bread I'll happily get a bocadillo etc.
The crackers are for those unexpected occasions - which could be days or even a week down the line.
I am reminded that a diet of bread and water tends to reduce solid waste in the “end.” 😱

Okay so we do have fresh milk in Spain, Mercadona has it in a refrigerator but not where UHT milk is, sometimes it is next to fresh packed fish, sometimes next to fresh orange juice. Don’t ask me the logic about that. Aldi always sells fresh milk too, but you have to be early in the shop to get some. Also, fresh and “dead” milk is sweeter but less creamier here than in the US, UK, Canada or Germany, whether you go for the semi or full cream version. You might be disappointed, I don’t like it. It also has more lactose than in Germany for instance. When in Spain, we often need to get the lactose free version of the UHT or we get sick.
The reason some of you enjoy their cafe con leche so much could be because of the lactose in it…

You do get chocolate milk tetra pack. Again, super sweet, not my cup of tea at all. But you are right about the nutrition value of a cup of cocoa (without added sugar if you can).

You could pack a plastic jar of peanut butter, any frutos secos without chocolate will help you also get the calories you need. The ultra trail runners here always leave with frutos secos and some peanut butter in a ziplock which they press directly in their mouth. No fridge needed for both these supplies.

The parmeggiano is indeed a great source of protein and easy to carry, as would also a piece of very mature montego if you don’t find the parmeggiano (but you would in any supercor).

And of course, if in La Palma, then platanos !

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, the can of chips works really well! I found it odd that Pringles are readily available in Spain.

-Paul
Ok, here's the other thing. Pringles come in different sizes. There is the tall can and the shorter one. I ain't carrying the tall can.

On a recent non-camino hike people would actually buy bags of chips and then purposely crush them to save volume. They'd eat them with a spoon.

It there are two of you, the tall can goes pretty quick. I usually get to.be the one to carry it anyway. The little cans are great for by yourself. I did carry a big can of Pringles knockoffs this winter zipped inside a deep Interior coat pocket. Easier to munch than stopping to pull them out of a pack.

Potato chip dust is good for casserole topping if there are ever any left in the bag. I would rather just carry some salty frutos y secos (mainly corn nuts) than eat crushed chips on the Camino though.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On a recent non-camino hike people would actually buy bags of chips and then purposely crush them to save volume. They'd eat them with a spoon.
... also a prank played on others, often while 'assisting' them open the bag by crushing it. There might occasionally be some remnants left in the bag!!

And of course, if in La Palma, then platanos !
Sure! But be carefull: once I left a "platano" (banana) in my commuter bag as it slowly went to its bottom.

I only found it a week later. I'm still trying to clean up the mess. :-(

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
joking aside, in my opinion it is better to waste 40 gm and some space in the backpack and put these kinds of products in a plastic box...

joking aside, in my opinion it is better to waste 40 gm and some space in the backpack and put these kinds of products in a plastic box..
When the kids were small, we had banana boxes for them. Litterally, a yellow box shaped as a banana, that we would put in their schoolpack for the almuerzo.

On a side note: it’s not “Frutos Y Secos”. It’s “Frutos Secos” and it englobes nuts and dried fruits. 😉

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.