This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

An alternativo to avoid busy highway after Chantada

andycohn

Time of past OR future Camino
See signature
Leaving Chantada this morning for our first day on the Invierno, I was appalled to see that, roughly 2k out of town, the Camino ran adjacent to a busy highway for some 3k before cutting off south towards Penasilas.

Since I HATE walking anywhere near a busy road, I stopped before proceeding and checked on mapy.cz to see if there was a more tranquil alternative.

And there was! Along rural and almost completely unused paved farm tracks that were wonderfully scenic and totally serene. From the point we left the Camino until the point we rejoined it 4k later we saw exactly 5 cars, all gently moseying along. (This compared with at least 50 cars that whizzed by along the highway in the 2 minutes I was checking mapy.cz for alternatives).

Note that if you really prefer the dulcet roar of semi-trucks, you can save yourself a full 200 meters by staying on the Camino along the highway. Far be it from me to dictate your choice.

Btw, if you're staying at Hotel Vilaseco, you just stay on this alternative at the point where it hits the Camino.

Here's the track for mapy.cz fans (I'm confident someone more tech-savvy than I can convert this into gpx tracks):

Route from LU-213 to A Laxe, Chantada
Route 4 km • 1:17 h

A screenshot from mapy.cz is pasted in below, along with some photos (The Camino follows the highway, in green).

I've checked the great guidebook of @peregrina2000 and some of the wonderful threads on the forum, as well as Brierley and Wise pilgrim, and can find no mention of this possible alternative, so I offer it here.

Hope it's useful!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241024-154329.webp
    226.3 KB · Views: 97
  • PXL_20241024_103429946.webp
    984.1 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20241024_092446290.webp
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20241024_101551131.webp
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you thats going in my notes for 2025

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum