• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

American Discovery Trail - Across Iowa

Dave

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
17 days and ~440 miles later, I've made it across Iowa! I wasn't entirely loyal to the ADT, as flooding on the Mississippi wiped out the first stage, and I wanted a more direct, westward route over the last few stages, but otherwise I was satisfied with the time here. Admittedly, it's a lot of corn. A lot of corn. And soybeans, too. But there are a lot of great towns along the way, including some really well preserved Main Street communities. There were even some hills as I made it further west!

I can't necessarily recommend Iowa for walking. But Iowa is a great place for biking, and it's clear that folks in the state love their cycling routes. I was present for the annual multi-day Iowa biking event, RAGBRAI, but even on the rail trails I was struck by how many people were out riding every day, often in groups. This was particularly true around the cities (the ADT goes through Cedar Rapids and Des Moines), but there are paved, well maintained tracks all over the state.

Here are my daily write-ups of my walks in Iowa:
I'm now roughly 20 miles into Nebraska. This was supposed to be a day off, but the power has been out in many parts of Omaha for five days now following a devastating windstorm, including at the place I rented a room. It was cooler to walk in 90+ degree weather today than spend another night in that room!

Photos from each day of the walk can be seen on my Instagram.

Dave

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I lived in Iowa for a while- not the first place I would walk across...and all that corn! But coming from Ireland I did love the feeling of wide horizons. Ultreia!

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
17 days and ~440 miles later, I've made it across Iowa! I wasn't entirely loyal to the ADT, as flooding on the Mississippi wiped out the first stage, and I wanted a more direct, westward route over the last few stages, but otherwise I was satisfied with the time here. Admittedly, it's a lot of corn. A lot of corn. And soybeans, too. But there are a lot of great towns along the way, including some really well preserved Main Street communities. There were even some hills as I made it further west!

I can't necessarily recommend Iowa for walking. But Iowa is a great place for biking, and it's clear that folks in the state love their cycling routes. I was present for the annual multi-day Iowa biking event, RAGBRAI, but even on the rail trails I was struck by how many people were out riding every day, often in groups. This was particularly true around the cities (the ADT goes through Cedar Rapids and Des Moines), but there are paved, well maintained tracks all over the state.

I'm now roughly 20 miles into Nebraska. This was supposed to be a day off, but the power has been out in many parts of Omaha for five days now following a devastating windstorm, including at the place I rented a room. It was cooler to walk in 90+ degree weather today than spend another night in that room!

Dave
That's pretty hard core! I've biked Ragbrai several times over the years, love it. Pretty tough time of year to hike Iowa, Hope you enjoyed some fresh sweet corn! Yes, love the small town feel in the Midwest, that's why I still live here, only minutes from where you started. Flooding has been bad this year due to a series of really bad storms the past month or two.

That's pretty hard core! I've biked Ragbrai several times over the years, love it. Pretty tough time of year to hike Iowa, Hope you enjoyed some fresh sweet corn! Yes, love the small town feel in the Midwest, that's why I still live here, only minutes from where you started. Flooding has been bad this year due to a series of really bad storms the past month or two.
Yeah, I've been lucky to be in hotels on a couple nights when really nasty storms blew through. Had a tornado warning just before Davenport, on the night the Mississippi flooded, and then I was in Adair and received a severe thunderstorm warning the night Omaha got blasted. Very exciting weather out here.

Dave

Thanks so much for your well-written and thought-ful posts/blogs about your ADT walk across Iowa, starting from Illinois! Having grown up in Moline, I especially enjoyed reading about John Deere, and was saddened to learn about how they had caved under political pressure. My mother actually started to work for them ~ 1945, and at that time, women that worked for them could not be married. Then that changed in ~ '46/47....but then women could not work for them and be pregnant....then that changed in ~'50! I actually worked for them briefly in the early 2000's, and the company was very cognizant about equality at that time. And on another note, it is too bad you could not walk along the Great River Road....that is really a lovely place to walk and also bike.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks so much for your well-written and thought-ful posts/blogs about your ADT walk across Iowa, starting from Illinois! Having grown up in Moline, I especially enjoyed reading about John Deere, and was saddened to learn about how they had caved under political pressure. My mother actually started to work for them ~ 1945, and at that time, women that worked for them could not be married. Then that changed in ~ '46/47....but then women could not work for them and be pregnant....then that changed in ~'50! I actually worked for them briefly in the early 2000's, and the company was very cognizant about equality at that time. And on another note, it is too bad you could not walk along the Great River Road....that is really a lovely place to walk and also bike. But the Mighty Mississippi River is a force!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back