This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Amancio Yagüez is still carrying on in Castrojeriz despite a huge personal loss

Gadflyparexcellence

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked in "2016," "2018," "2022."
I stopped by El Peregrino Bazaar, Amancio Yagüez's iconic workplace in Castrojeriz's Plaza Mayor, last week. The shop was closed when I got there about ten minutes before 5pm. I sat down on a chair in the arcade hoping to simply pass time. Promptly at 5, I saw a figure coming out of a building across the street and heading towards the arcade. As he came closer, I realized it was Amancio. He opened his shop and got inside. I gave him a few minutes to settle down. Then I knocked on the door of his shop, and he appeared from the back of the store with a somewhat curious look. In the background I could hear some soothing music.

In my rudimentary and broken Spanish, I tried to explain to Amancio that I was a returning peregrino just stopping by to say hi to him and offer my sincere thanks and gratitude to him for all he has done for the pilgrims over the decades. I was not sure if he fully understood what I was saying but I'm pretty sure he comprehended my body language as he nodded and kept repeating the word 'gracias'. I asked him how his wife was doing and he seemed to respond with a subdued smile. As I left his shop, he said gracias again.

A few minutes after I left Amancio's shop, I headed to the tourist office inside the Church of Santo Domingo. I mentioned to the young lady at the Tourist Office desk how glad I was to see Amancio again and show my appreciation of what he has meant for the pilgrims. She was glad that I did as according to her that it was likely more than ever pilgrims have a special significance for him. I asked her to explain what she meant. She responded by saying that just two months ago Amancio lost his beloved wife. Against this loss, Amancio's work continues to fill a huge void, she added. "Each time he sees a pilgrim it brings joy and meaning to his life."

So if you're passing through Castrojeriz, please stop by Amancio's shop. Just a simple hi and thank you would mean a lot to this iconic nonagenarian

Attachments

• IMG_8873.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3,993
Last edited:
Help keep the Camino clean. Join us in 2025 for the Camino Cleanup Program & Retreat
It has been a while, but is his shop the one that said the end of that that street with the other shops and restaurants? It is right by the steps leading up to the municipal correct? It’s an outdoor store? If that’s the shop I’ve met him on a few occasions. Many years ago I bought a pair of inexpensive rain pants that lasted me 4 Camino. I bought something else in there once but I can’t remember what it was. He’s a sweet guy. Sorry to hear about his loss. That is if it’s the same person I’m talking about.

That’ll be him @lt56ny. A lovely man who has done his best to meet the needs of passing pilgrims for many years.

Many years ago now, grasping the meaning of my mime of putting on gloves he disappeared into the back of his shop and reappeared with a selection: rubber washing-up gloves; chain-saw workers gloves; some rather elegant leather carriage drivers gloves and, the perfect pair of fingerless woollen mitts that I still have in a drawer somewhere though they are somewhat unraveled.

Amancio, I am sorry for your loss

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Amancio, I met you in 2019 and you helped me with some shower shoes. Thank you for that, and on behalf of so many other pilgrims, thank you for your service. Please accept my most sincere condolences.

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum