• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Altus poncho and pack cover?

Landry

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2024
I will be doing the CF in mid-Sept - Oct and will have the Altus rain poncho. Do I also need to take the rain cover that came with my Osprey backpack? Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For rain on the Camino you probably don't need pack cover. We have found if traveling where there are crowds, tourist sights, train & bus stations, the packs rain cover helps protect against thievry. Like if you are riding the Metro in Paris with the backpack, or in the airport or train station at Madrid.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I use my backpack cover when my backpack goes into the plane hold, putting it on back to front keeps all the stops hidden and secured. IMHO I think for the extra 100grams or so it's worth carrying even if you're using a poncho.
I think that is probably a good idea but personally I would never check my backpack when I travel. I love my camino clothes. Some things I have been wearing for years. None of them cost very much as I usually check closeouts especially in REI. But they fit, they are comfortable and I hate shopping. Also I have a great backpack from REI that I payed $65 dollars for in 2019 and outside of a few scuff marks there is not a sign of wear and tear anywhere. Where I go my backpack goes.

I think that is probably a good idea but personally I would never check my backpack when I travel. I love my camino clothes. Some things I have been wearing for years. None of them cost very much as I usually check closeouts especially in REI. But they fit, they are comfortable and I hate shopping. Also I have a great backpack from REI that I payed $65 dollars for in 2019 and outside of a few scuff marks there is not a sign of wear and tear anywhere. Where I go my backpack goes.
I do see your point, I only have one 2 hour flight and as I have my poles in the backpack plus knife etc, I have to check the pack in. The only thing of real value is my poles, it would be a shame to loose them, but everything is replaceable I guess.

I do see your point, I only have one 2 hour flight and as I have my poles in the backpack plus knife etc, I have to check the pack in. The only thing of real value is my poles, it would be a shame to loose them, but everything is replaceable I guess.
I carried my poles and I knife on my first camino. I bought a tube from a packing company, checked them and carried my bag. But as the price of checking luggage even on short flights gets so expensive I now buy poles when I arrive and donate them when I get to Santiago. I can still buy cheap poles that are just fine for my needs for around 20E. I also can walk off the plane and head to the metro without waiting for the poles to come out.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Don't forget that a pack cover only covers the back of the pack - or is that the front? Either way rain can get between your back and the pack and soak in that way.
If you are taking the Altus just wear it over the pack as a rain jacket by kilting up the hemline like a medieval monk would - by tucking the bottom hem into the waist belt.
Use the pouch the pack cover would have resided in as a secret stash - suitably waterproofed of course!

Sometimes I like to use the pack cover as a safeguard when it is only lightly raining or misting, or when rain is forecast for that day, hasn't yet come to fruition, but the sky looks ominous. I really don't like wearing my rain gear until I am sure that yep, it's gonna be a lasting wet one.

I also however do the trash bag liner thing (though incidentally, I've heard that the bags used for making a turkey are better than my ordinary trash bag). So not sure if the pack cover is even necessary.

One nice thing about the Osprey pack covers is they are brightly colored... so visibility is improved if you are walking along a road in the fog. One time on a recent camino (I don't remember which one but it was of the lesser travelled variety) I happened to be walking through the countryside on the Opening Day of boar hunting season. There were people with rifles everywhere, and I could hear the guns report all around me.

I put my bright chartreuse colored pack cover on my head, underneath my cap, to improve my visibility while walking through the combat zone. That was probably the most freaked out I've ever been on a camino and it was nice to have that bright pack cover!

Necessary no - useful, yes.
I'm with Damien on this. I put my pack cover on any time the weather looks dodgy or I'm Road walking (to improve my visibility)
If it's warm and just a short, light shower my Merino shirt is sufficient to stay comfortable - I simply don't bother putting my poncho on. The rain cover keeps my pack dry. Like Damien, I only don the poncho when heavy or persistent rain sets in.
Fortunately, I have not yet had to ascertain how visible it is during hunting season. Or for that matter a war zone.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Or for that matter a war zone.
Ok, maybe a little dramatic. No common camino would ever allow this to happen. But I did put the cover on my head because I was so freaked out.

Note: people met seated in their chairs holding their guns and eyeing their scopes would tell me, as I walked by (ON THE CAMINO) "You shouldn't be out here. Its dangerous. Go to the road".

But that was like a 2km backtrack. I hate backtracks!

I used the Altus "poncho" (its really a raincoat sized for a pack), on a Camino last Oct/Nov. It rained hard and blew hard nearly every day. The Altus worked perfectly and I can't recommend it highly enough. Easy to go from full coverage to partial coverage when squalls are blowing through all day. My feet were the only part of me that got wet.

Maybe I should just resign from this site entirely. Ponchos suck. They are heavy, make you look like a character from a musical, and you sweat like a beast underneath them. They also don't really help, I mean, if it's time to put your poncho on you are gonna get soaked no matter what. Whatever. Ok. I feel better now.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Maybe I should just resign from this site entirely. Ponchos suck. They are heavy, make you look like a character from a musical, and you sweat like a beast underneath them. They also don't really help, I mean, if it's time to put your poncho on you are gonna get soaked no matter what. Whatever. Ok. I feel better now.
No need to go. The Altus isn't a poncho - it's a raincoat with sleeves but I do admit to getting just as wet wearing one because of the condensation on the inside.

No need to go. The Altus isn't a poncho - it's a raincoat with sleeves but I do admit to getting just as wet wearing one because of the condensation on the inside.
Just curious, but what time of year was it when you were condensating? In Oct/Nov it was cold enough I didn't have that problem. But maybe I'm just not walking hard enough! 😴

Just curious, but what time of year was it when you were condensating? In Oct/Nov it was cold enough I didn't have that problem. But maybe I'm just not walking hard enough! 😴
Mid September. After a virtually rain free Camino it rained consistently on the second to last day before Santiago and poured down on the day we entered. A shame really as we were staying at the Reis Catolicos and walked in like drowned rats!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
We walked in October and it rained heavy for 8 days. Used both the pack cover and poncho. Needed both to keep the outer layer of the backpack from getting damp/wet. Water cam not just from rain but also from the moisture generated by walking inside the poncho with no escape. Glad we used both.

On the return journey home, after buying presents for the rest of year, or personal shopping, checked luggage can be a good idea. 7Kg limit csn be restrictive! All the way to Europe and no shopping, I think not 🤣
But if that's no concern to you, then carry on is best.

I do agree, I'm fond of my camino clothes. My icebreaker merino jacket I hope to keep for many years and my op shop shorts are the only shorts I like to wear. So far, no lost luggage, crossed fingers.

On the return journey home, after buying presents for the rest of year, or personal shopping, checked luggage can be a good idea. 7Kg limit csn be restrictive! All the way to Europe and no shopping, I think not 🤣
But if that's no concern to you, then carry on is best.

I do agree, I'm fond of my camino clothes. My icebreaker merino jacket I hope to keep for many years and my op shop shorts are the only shorts I like to wear. So far, no lost luggage, crossed fingers.
Do you check your pack or bring it on the plane when you leave? That is where the real danger of lost luggage is a big worry.
I have to buy a little something for my wife every year and I can always fit it in my backpack. After that I do ZERO shopping. I hate shopping and for me buying stuff is the last thing on my mind or what I want to do. So going all the way to Europe and shop, I think not!!!! haha

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.