Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues in reverse

Dave Baker

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles, Frances, Portuguese and Finisterre. Next will be Santiago to Fatima.
I will be walking from Porto to Santiago in September, staying mainly in municipal albergues.
I then want to walk back towards Porto.
Is it OK to stay in the same albergues?

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I don't see why not - you are not staying for a given number of nights consecutively, which is usually "the sore issue". The only "eh" may be the immediate one where you stayed prior to SdC, but if you spend an extra night or two in town that should put some 'time distance' between the dates.
Again I have not done it and I am sure someone with more experience will pipe in but IMHO I see no issue.

That said... sorry could not resist... Albergues in reverse seugreblA 🤣😂😇

Good luck and Buean Camino!

No first hand experience however this comes up fairly frequently. My understanding is that it's acceptable because you are walking 'home'. In the past people have suggested that occasionally some may request to see your Compostela as proof that you did indeed walk to Santiago.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will be walking from Porto to Santiago in September, staying mainly in municipal albergues.
I then want to walk back towards Porto.
Is it OK to stay in the same albergues?
Yes, in particular because many Fátima pilgrims do exactly the same.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've walked from Santiago to Porto in 2022 (Padron, Arouza, Vigo, Baiona, Viana do Castelo, etc...) and didn't have any problems. Some people even recognized me, and were quite impressed when I told them I was walking back to Porto. Bom Caminho!

Last October my son in law and I walked the Camino Frances backwards from Obanos to Saint-Jean Pied-de-Port. (Because we had time after walking the Camino Aragones.) We had no problems staying in private albergues and the parochial in Roncesvalles. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

We are still in Lisbon at a hotel waiting to get to Porto. We are a day behind our desired schedule. Being here is so different from watching everyone’s videos and instructions. Hubby is thinking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back