• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advance train tickets

LouiseEdin

Louise Edinburgh
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015; finnesterre 2015; CP from porto 2016; Frances 2017; Mozarabe Feb 2018; CP Sept 2018;
Hi
There are 6 of us travelling from bordeaux airpost to sjpp on Sat 12th October. Our flight gets in at 14.25 so we plan to get the train that's at about 16.00.

Is there any price advantage in buying tickets in advance like there is in the UK?

Thanks, louise

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Like plane tickets, the closer to your travel day the more expensive tickets become. On our trips from Paris to SJPP, I have purchased our train tickets in advanced and saved considerable money. For a last minute ticket you will more than likely pay full price. Plus, with 6 of you traveling together, you’ll want to make sure that there are enough seats on the train for all of you. My one concern is your connection time. You only have an hour and thirty-five minutes to catch your train from your “scheduled” landing time. I don’t know the Bordeaux set-up, but that could be cutting it close. You might want to consider if there is a later train and only travel as far as Bayonne. Overnight there and then take the first morning train to SJPP. Buen Camino.

Hi
There are 6 of us travelling from bordeaux airpost to sjpp on Sat 12th October. Our flight gets in at 14.25 so we plan to get the train that's at about 16.00.

Is there any price advantage in buying tickets in advance like there is in the UK?

Thanks, louise
Yes, prices are often cheaper when you book early.

Another thing to consider is that on long-distance trains, you can only book a ticket if there are seats available. No seats left = no bookable tickets. They do not oversell trains like they do here in Germany where you can book a ticket regardless of the availability of seats and in case of a full train will have to stand. I don't think this is the case for regional trains, which you will probably be able to catch from Bordeaux to Bayonne since it's not a very long journey. Just something to watch out for when choosing your connection.

I would also strongly suggest to consider a later train. You need to get to the train station from Bordeaux airport first, which seems to take about 30 min by bus.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The best advantage of booking early is knowing you will definitely be able to travel that day. Often on the long distance lines out of Paris they get full up quick. As others have pointed out they do not over book but also I haven't noticed the price ever getting much worse or better

Bayonne is a nice town and your plan sounds good :)

I agree with the general advice to give yourself more time to get from the airport to the train station in Bordeaux. I used this airport 2 months ago travelling to Irun/Camino del Norte.

Note that statistically, budget airline flights that arrive before noon tend to be more or less on time, those that arrive in the afternoon tend to arrive late, and those that arrive in the evening can sometimes arrive super late (because each plane makes on average 6 flights per day and the delay increases with each flight)

For example, the Easyjet flight from London Gatwick yesterday (Saturday) was scheduled to arrive in Bordeaux at 14:15, but arrived 40 minutes late (see link) and landed (touchdown time) at 14:55 meaning the passengers probably left the terminal at 15:20-15:30 and getting on a 16:00 train from the station 15 km away could be quite difficult.

I also hope you don't fly with Ryanair, because they are currently leaving Bordeaux and started cancelling 40 different routes to and from there. By October they may not be flying there at all.

Hi

Thanks, louise
I bought my train ticket from Madrid to Pamplona and Santiago to Madrid before I left Canada to walk the Camino Francés. On my last week walking, I met some people from Copenhagen who could not get a Train ticket from Santiago to Madrid on the day they wanted because there was no availability. So I was glad I bought mine before I left.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree with the general advice to give yourself more time to get from the airport to the train station in Bordeaux. I used this airport 2 months ago travelling to Irun/Camino del Norte.

Note that statistically, budget airline flights that arrive before noon tend to be more or less on time, those that arrive in the afternoon tend to arrive late, and those that arrive in the evening can sometimes arrive super late (because each plane makes on average 6 flights per day and the delay increases with each flight)

For example, the Easyjet flight from London Gatwick yesterday (Saturday) was scheduled to arrive in Bordeaux at 14:15, but arrived 40 minutes late (see link) and landed (touchdown time) at 14:55 meaning the passengers probably left the terminal at 15:20-15:30 and getting on a 16:00 train from the station 15 km away could be quite difficult.

I also hope you don't fly with Ryanair, because they are currently leaving Bordeaux and started cancelling 40 different routes to and from there. By October they may not be flying there at all.
Thank you , yes flight has been bought with ryanair. I'll keep a serious eye on this

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I'm currently on the Ingles, in Neda, & thought I would post with the state of play. 1stly , if your flying into A Coruna, & starting at Ferrol, it's an easy transfer. I got a bus from the...
So I was able to book our train from Santiago back to Madria this morning through Renfe! (Yay!) My question is once I finished and printed out the tickets I noticed that on one of the tickets it...
I’m trying to find the easiest way to get to Bayonne via train from Charles de Gaul airport. I arrive in Paris at 7:30 AM. October 21. Need to be at SJDP by evening. Would you recommend I get...
Hi, for several years I have posted about buying two tickets on renfe and then canceling the one ticket I did not need in time to get a refund (used to be an hour before departure). This was all...
My husband and I will begin our first Camino in three weeks. To accommodate the time we have available, we would like to start in Rates. We are thinking we could take the train from Porto to Povoa...
Hello! After finishing the camino by bicycle and riding to Finisterre, is it possible to return by bus (with my bike)? Thank you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back