• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation list for a variant of VF del Sud

timr

Time of past OR future Camino
Several and counting...
The VF del/nel Sud (other names are avaialble) goes from Rome to Bari (the embarcation point for onward travel to Jerusalem on the Via Egnatia) or on to Santa Maria di Leuca, the tip of the heel of Italy.

It is a beautiful, very quiet, extension of the northern VF towards Rome.

By its nature there are many possibilties for variation in the route. A common diversion is to go to the Santuario di San Michele Arcangelo near Foggia.

I just saw this list of accommodation for this variant on FB so I will repost it here. It is put together by one of the 'great legendary figures' of the VF del Sud, Michele del Giudice, who used to run the albergue in Troia. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of routes in the south and onwards to Jerusalem.

That first place on the list is Celle de San Vito and is a wonderfully fascinating and welcoming village. It has its own language Faeto spoken only there and in nearby Faeto and amongst diaspora communities in Canada.1719732422857.png

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi , I walked from Rome to Monte Sant'Angelo a couple of years ago, I mostly stayed in places I found on Booking.com but there was a lovely pilgrim accomodation in Buonalbergo, Casa del Pellegrino ( telephone +39 3772448073) the owner lived next door and was so kind to me . I stayed at the Hotel attached to the Sanctuary at Monte Sant'Angelo which starts at 40 euros b &b.

Do most people take this route from Rome to Bar, or from Bari to Rome? I get the jumping off to Jerusalem, but did it serve historically for those going to Rome as well?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Do most people take this route from Rome to Bar, or from Bari to Rome? I get the jumping off to Jerusalem, but did it serve historically for those going to Rome as well?
Very interesting question.

Not that many people walk it and I think (based only on what I see on here and elsewhere) that most people - that is the kind of peope who have walked some of all of the path from Canterbury to Rome - see it as a continuation. And certainly the current major guide in the Terre De Mezzo series (in Italian or English) does it that way.

Sandy Brown's new guide in the Cicerone series is due out next year.

When I walked from Rome to Bari and Brindisi in 2018, there wasn't an overabundance of waymarking, but what there was was unidirectional I think. But obviously you could go either way and with GPX traces you can go whichever way you wish, though they are listed as North to South here.

Historically though it was a very important two way route linking Rome to Constantiople and beyond - (and add as many place name changes as you wish).

Essentially Rome to Brindisi was the Via Appia and then from the magnificent harbour in Brindisi (not Bari) you set off to modern Albania. And thence it is the Via Egnatia. From there to Turkey and beyond, through Albania, North Macedonia and Greece, you still come upon old Roman road paving along the way just as you do at various parts in Italy and elsewhere in Europe.

And of course Alexander, and Bucephalus, used the eastern extension, before the Romans, to reach what is now I guess modern Pakistan. And the "Silk Road(s)" continued on to China. As I saw it somwhere, "ideas, goods, disease and death" travelled along the road, backwards and forwards.

So historically it must have been a very busy two way street. Was there much pilgrim traffic from the East to Rome in the past? I guess not, or the volume was hugely less than that of soldiers and traders. But to walk from Brindisi to Rome is both feasible and interesting!

Brindisi was the traditional end, although having walked to Brindisi I came back up to Bari to get ferry to Durrẽs. It is a much busier port and the ferries now from Brindisi are less and go to Vlore further south in Albania and I guess probably Corfu too.

If you get to Brindisi you should contact the Accademia degli Erranti for stamps and information and enthusiastic chat! You need to phone to say you are coming. Right in the historic centre.

Durrẽs also called Dyrrachium/Dyrrrachion and Epidamnos is pre-Roman in origin and a mighty port. I think @jungleboy is good on the history (and much more! ;))

Walking to Santa Maria di Leuca (onward from Brindisi) - again interesting There is a "traditional route" whatever that means and now also a Cammino del Salento from Brindisi. Enthusiastic volunteers supporting it. You walk down through Lecce, which is a wonderful city in itself. And a superb hostel to the south of the centre of Lecce, not specifically a pilgrim hostel but very sympathetic.

From a website: The sanctuary, also known as the Basilica De Finibus Terrae (Leuca was where the land ended for the Romans), was consecrated by Pope Julius I on 1st August 343 AD. It has long been a place of pilgrimage and is particularly busy around the middle of August each year. So I guess that bit at least was normally walked south, but of course you had to come back after that!

That part of Puglia is a calm quiet and peaceful place out of season and an easy week's walk from Brindisi. It is very very popular with Italian holidaymakers and a bit off the international tourism trail I would think. Very very quiet out of season and much accommodation closed down - but I had no real problem in November. As I said again recently, you only need one bed, one bar and one restaurant each night.

I remember I had booked a very nice smart modern hotel, participating in the Cammino del Salento, with a discount, and was the only one there in Santa Cesarea de Terme. And I was treated royally. Lovely rooftop bar, evening meal and breakfast.

"When do you close for the season?" I asked. "Just as soon as you leave in the morning!" I was told.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Yesterday we left Mouthier Haute Pierre early because it would be a long steep stage (23,5 km with 849 height meters) with some difficult parts. So we rose early, had a good breakfast, packed...
The VF del/nel Sud (other names are avaialble) goes from Rome to Bari (the embarcation point for onward travel to Jerusalem on the Via Egnatia) or on to Santa Maria di Leuca, the tip of the heel...
Today we were really looking forward to the walk in the gorge de l’Orbe (stage Jougne to Orbe) on the Via Francigena in Switserland. After the long steep descent from Ballaigues to the river Orbe...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back