Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Accommodation in November query

DanOnTheCamino

trying to take it one step at a time...
Time of past OR future Camino
Invierno, Jan.’22
Portugues (f/Valença) Mar.’23
From others’ experiences, what is lodging like from Oviedo to Santiago during November? Are places closed? Are beds limited ?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'd say use the search function, but I'm advised it's not working. You're the third person in 2 weeks to ask about the Primitivo in Oct/Nov.

For travel from Oviedo to Melide on the Primitivo, check on Gronze, but call/ text via WhatsApp to make sure a place is open at least the day before. Translate Gronze back to Spanish to get the town names right.

By November, many places have closed, including cafés and restaurants, so be prepared to carry more food/water than you would on a Camino in summer. Traditional choke points are Berducedo, and some of us have encountered completo in Salas and O Cadavo ( my spelling is off). Also remember that wild camping is technically prohibited and much of the land on either side of the early Primitivo is private cow pasture. If you choose to camp wild, * no fires!*

Also, ask the locals about your path the night before, in case of washouts/storm damage. You don't really want to be on Hospitales in a cold foggy rain.

For the Frances in, there's a special website listing open places. Aprinca.com?

Buen Camino.

I'm advised it's not working.
I seems to be working now. Here's how I found this collection of threads...
  1. Under Search, click on Advanced Search
  2. Click on the tab "Search threads" on the blue band
  3. Enter "November" in the key words and click "Search titles only"
  4. Scroll down that same page to "Search in forums" and select the forum "Camino PRIMITIVO"
  5. Hit SEARCH

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I seems to be working now. Here's how I found this collection of threads...
  1. Under Search, click on Advanced Search
  2. Click on the tab "Search threads" on the blue band
  3. Enter "November" in the key words and click "Search titles only"
  4. Scroll down that same page to "Search in forums" and select the forum "Camino PRIMITIVO"
  5. Hit SEARCH
Alternatively, since this thread is in the Camino Primitivo forum you can tap the magnifying glass 🔍 icon, type "November" in the search box, then choose "this forum" in the drop down menu on the right.

1000036886.webp

I also recommend consulting Gronze.com or Gronze.es. They usually have the most current information. You can always send a text or make a phone call ahead to confirm opening status.

FYI - Xunta albergues in Galicia are usually open all year.

Failing that, Plan B is always to go into a local cafe or bar and ask the proprietor where you can get a bed or room.

Hope this helps.

Tom

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked over from Campiello to Polar de Allande yesterday late afternoon in the pouring rain, after not paying much attention of the weather. Also I sensed a little bit of trouble with someone who was claiming his knife was left at a cafe in Tineo, and blaiming me sitting across in the same table for a bread with garlic.
There are people going to walk over Hospitales today in the rain about 7 people, as far as I know. Stef at Polagrino will be opened for another 2 weeks more. However, some smaller Albergues were closed along the way.
Slight adjustment in planning than well known stops can avoid busy places; the places I can recommend are Roca Madre at Cornellana, El Texu in La Espina, and Albergue Polagrino in Pola de Allande, and Albergue Miguelin in La Mesa Escamplero Albergue was not bad except needing to carry food, since the close shops were closed till Paladin.

Spanish can be challenging for solo travellers, when few shops are opened.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

From others’ experiences, what is lodging like from Oviedo to Santiago during November? Are places closed? Are beds limited ?

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back