Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation availability on the Primitivo

SnakeBriskin

Time of past OR future Camino
Sep 2023
Hi
Starting the Primitivo on 20 August and deciding how much prebooking of accommodation was needed at the moment. Are there some towns where accommodation is often full ?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the Primitivo alone on July 2024.
I never have booked, the only town where I needed to search was Grado.
Perhaps before joining the Francés you should book in Arzua and/or O Pedrouzo.

Hi
Starting the Primitivo on 20 August and deciding how much prebooking of accommodation was needed at the moment. Are there some towns where accommodation is often full ?
I walked in July '23, whilst I did book Grado as my first stop that was just personal preference not a need. (I like to ease into the first day of a camino and not worry at all about my destination/ finding something etc. I also started off injured so was very slow).
When this has come up on other threads people have suggested booking Berducedo a day or two beforehand, or be prepared to walk on the extra 4.6 ks to LA Mesa (my personal choice).
Other than that I'm not aware of any pinch points until you hit the Frances as @Pafayac says.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked last September with my Dad and I booked accommodations for the entire trip to guarantee a room and so we didn't have to rush or worry. It also got us into places we really wanted to stay. Yes it gets busy when you connect to the Frances so rec booking those legs. As well for example if you stay in Ferreira there are not a lot of places. Look at the distances of each day and your planned stops, if there are only two places, pre-book, otherwise you will cab or walk more than you want.

Walked this year in May. Witnessed a few days people had issues easily finding a bed. Grado and Berducedo have been challenging.
Since i am on the fast end of the walking spectrum, i could easily have gotten a bed every single day without pre booking. I think after Castro we started booking ahead in the evening or morning simply to stay together as a group.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, Did anyone walk the Primitivo in late october, early november? Can you share your experience with the weather in the mountains? How many other pilgrims can I expect? I was planning...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back