This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

A window in Burgos Cathedral

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
Yet another question about Burgos Cathedral!
I have forgotten exactly where I was when I took the photo, it's not important, but, if you know where the window is, I'd be pleased to know. My question is: What does Opera Fabrice mean? I know the literal meaning of 'opera': Works. Fabrice: the building. S, perhaps, "works on the building". But what does that mean and why display it in a window? There is a date at the top, 1547. Above the word 'Opera', there is a man's head. It looks like someone from antiquity, Greek or Roman. At the bottom, there is a crown. Above the word 'Fabrice' there is a woman's head, I'm hard pushed to say what she looks like. At the bottom there is what I think is a cardinal's cap. If you can explain any of the symbolism, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
No guarantees that I am even close, but I am going to take a stab that “opera fabrice” refers to building heaven on earth. (There’s a whole theological view — that I learned from a Jesuit, and which I heard repeated by a visiting celebrant in the little chapel in Santiago — that earth is not separate from heaven… and that it is our job to work to reveal heaven and its workings on earth). The rest of it I would not try to interpret, but I remain awed, always… by the semiotics that are nearly hopelessly beyond my ability to read, and would have been the lingua franca of ordinary people in the time of their creation.
I’d love to hear from someone qualified, and not simply trying to grope around as I am for meaning out of a few familiar stories centuries away from context.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum