• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A third of a century

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
Have you noticed how Spanish websites give approximate dates as the first or second third of a century or the last third of a century? For example:
Durante el Primer Tercio del Siglo XX; durante las guerras de finales del siglo XV y primer tercio del XVI; escuela madrileña del primer tercio del siglo XVII; correspondencia granadina enviada a Tunez en el ultimo tercio del s. XV; ULTIMO TERCIO SIGLO XIX,MAPA DE EUROPA,EDITOR MIGUEL GRILO; El último tercio del siglo: 1968-1998; construido en el segundo tercio del siglo XIII; La pintura madrileña del segundo tercio del siglo XVIII.
In Britain, we refer to the first or second half of a century, or, if more accuracy is available, the first, second, third or fourth quarter of a century.
I thought this difference in usage was interesting enough to post here. I hope that some of you will agree.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Have you noticed how Spanish websites give approximate dates as the first or second third of a century or the last third of a century? For example:
Durante el Primer Tercio del Siglo XX; durante las guerras de finales del siglo XV y primer tercio del XVI; escuela madrileña del primer tercio del siglo XVII; correspondencia granadina enviada a Tunez en el ultimo tercio del s. XV; ULTIMO TERCIO SIGLO XIX,MAPA DE EUROPA,EDITOR MIGUEL GRILO; El último tercio del siglo: 1968-1998; construido en el segundo tercio del siglo XIII; La pintura madrileña del segundo tercio del siglo XVIII.
In Britain, we refer to the first or second half of a century, or, if more accuracy is available, the first, second, third or fourth quarter of a century.
I thought this difference in usage was interesting enough to post here. I hope that some of you will agree.
Using quarters sounds more inutitive than thirds, seems to me.

Using quarters sounds more inutitive than thirds, seems to me.
Not to the Spanish evidently.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Do you think it could have anything related to the understanding that Jesus died at age 33 - a third of a century?

Sorry to be speculative...but you make an interesting observation. I do not recall it from other travels. When Spaniards asked how long I had taken to walk the Camino Frances, and I answered 33 days - with no conscious idea the importance of that number - I was told multiple times that the number was important and special, from pilgrims to airport officials, for that Biblical reason.

Considering that the age of Jesus at the time of his death is questionable (yes we all know "the myth") ...well... who am I to question the importance some folks attach to that number...

Considering that the age of Jesus at the time of his death is questionable (yes we all know "the myth") ...well... who am I to question the importance some folks attach to that number...
Fair, fair. 🙏 It's just the only anomaly I could think of personally, as you usually see centuries marked by decades, quarters or halves, like others observed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first question to ask is whether it is more common in Spanish than in English or other languages to speak of the third of a century, and that this is indeed something unusual.

A simple search in Google gives me:
- New York Times (newspaper article): The Last Third of the Century
- Warburg Iconographic Database: Atsa, Ateu (last third of the 19th century), i.e. date of a piece of art
- Federal Reserve Bank: The Last Third of the 20th Century: Challenges to the Insurance Industry
- Royal Museum: ... from the last third of the 5th century until the beginning of the 8th century ...
- Auction house: portrait, last third of the 19th century; lidded tankard, last third of the 17th century; Chinese painting, last third of the nineteenth century
- ResearchGate: Discoveries from the second half or the last third of the 5th century until the first two thirds of the 6th century.

Approximately 30 years is a third of a century, just as approximately 50 years is half a century. Thirds may be "harder" to work out than halves and quarters - perhaps that's why we notice it more when we see it in writing. Or use it less.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
3 generations?
Each 3d a generation
Suprised "science" fwiw...hasnt figured that out since "science" seems to have answers for everything

3 generations?
Each 3d a generation
Suprised "science" fwiw...hasnt figured that out since "science" seems to have answers for everything
I have no idea what you are saying about generations and 3's. However, I am compelled to point out that no scientist would claim that science has answers for everything. The only people who say that seem to be anti-science.

3 generations?
Each 3d a generation
No 'suprises' there. Figured what out? What point were you trying to make?

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back