• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A packing list thread?

JustOneGuy

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug 2024: GR130, Apr 25: Camino Primitivo?
Good evening everyone,

I could not find a generic thread on packing list. The one being discussed these days, it has been pointed out to me, is only related to Camino Frances, so I thought to create a generic one. I apologize in advance if - as I guess.. - I am duplicating something existing.

Personally, this is my packing list, divided into 4 categories to calculate the effect of the various aspects to be considered.

What do you guys think? Frankly, the weight seems a bit much to me considering that the Camino I would like to start with in late August is full of ascent.

Could it be that the new backpack I bought, an Osprey Stratos 44, is perhaps a bit oversized? :oops: Also, food obviously is a guess, but on one stage I will not encounter "civilization" :) all day, therefore I have to account for it and for an emergency situation.

I hope to see many packing lists accumulate here in the coming days!

(I still have to check the weight of some of the toiletries and first aid)

1723228321330.png

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Is this your first Camino?

Why I ask:

a. Depending entirely on the route you're taking, there aren't many permitted campgrounds along the way, and wild camping is technically against Spanish regulations.
While you *might* be able to, with beds in municipal albergues running between 10-15 Euro/ night, why take a tent and mattress?

b. Again depending on the route, you may or may not need as much water.

c. Clothing depends on whether you sleep/ walk hot or cold, and if you're prepared to wash every night.

Personal observation: Please don't walk a multi week Camino without doing laundry. The number of people whose clothes don't smell after multiple days is far less than the number of people who *think* their clothes don't smell 😉

Buen Camino

Just to clarify presumably this is for your walk around Palma ? Hence the camping gear. Because you need the camping gear I think you probably need the larger pack. So long as it's comfortable.

Whilst your mattress weight is good that tent is humongous! If you can borrow a lighter one you'd be doing yourself a real service. I don't see a sleeping bag, who is that what the liner is ( I was assuming it was a backpack liner but it's a bit heavy for that) if it's not a backpack liner you need either a decent heavy duty bin bag or a raincover of some description.
You're also missing a trowel and toilet paper. You'll need them.

You have time to figure out how much water you are going to need over the next week or two before you start. It's very individual - some people get by on a litre for the entire day, others (me) three plus. Especially if the weather is warm.
If you have nowhere to top up along the way, I would consider adding an extra 500 mls to whatever you think you're likely to need.

It's not wrong, but you've picked a curious way to label some things. Typically we talk about worn versus packed; plus base weight vs total weight.
Anything that you're physically wearing - clothing, watch, shoes - is worn weight, anything packed regardless as to whether it's in your waist belt or pack is packed.
When it comes to packing lists we talk about base weight. Simply that's everything packed except for the consumables, i.e water and food.
All of the packing lists you'll see probably quote between six to eight kilos as a comfortable base weight. There are many forum members (who walk predominantly in summer) who actually get significantly lighter: 3 - 4kgs.

I'm struggling to understand why some of your weights are so different between packed and worn - for example your shirts (2) - one is 180 grams the other 60? Or do you have 3, carrying two, wearing one?
Pants: (2) 250 packed, 480g worn?
Also you appear to have (at least) two long sleeve shirts but only one short sleeve? Is that your sleepwear? Or should this be the other way around, you have two t-shirts and one long sleeve.
No shorts?

Typically most of us wear one, carry one. Exceptions being socks/underwear (many of us wear one carry two) and of course warm clothing/ raingear.

I personally don't bother with either deodorant (I'm only with people in the evenings after I've showered) or shaving foam, I just use my soap. And you could swap the pegs for safety pins if they're available. But that's only 300g.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Personal observation: Please don't walk a multi week Camino without doing laundry. The number of people whose clothes don't smell after multiple days is far less than the number of people who *think* their clothes don't smell 😉
He's carrying laundry detergent!

Also I think this is for his walk at home (the island of Palma), he referred to this in another thread recently. Yet to be clarified I posted it exactly the same time as you!

Thanks. I was assuming that his list was for generic Caminos...not that there is such a thing...;)

I tended to carry 3 sets of clothing, so was concerned. 😉

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Incidentally when I talk about most people thinking a comfortable base weight is six to eight kilos I mean of course excluding camping gear.
My camping gear : tent, sleeping bag, liner and mat come in at just under two kilos. Except for the silk sheet liner everything is budget gear.

First, Thanks for the many advices!
Is this your first Camino?
Yes, at least in the recent years.
Why I ask:

a. Depending entirely on the route you're taking, there aren't many permitted campgrounds along the way, and wild camping is technically against Spanish regulations.
I'm aware of this, but at least in this part of Spain they turn a blind eye, since there are quite remote areas with no housing for those who walk. Also, there is not a lot of crowding. Sometimes while walking I come across no one for hours.
While you *might* be able to, with beds in municipal albergues running between 10-15 Euro/ night, why take a tent and mattress?
I am speaking in general. In my case I think I have solved it, but there are situations where it can be difficult to get it done in one day. That's why I put that equipment in a different column.
b. Again depending on the route, you may or may not need as much water.

c. Clothing depends on whether you sleep/ walk hot or cold, and if you're prepared to wash every night.

Buen Camino
Reading on the forum, many people suggest minimizing the amount of clothing you carry. Also because this is pretty much the only advice if you want to minimize overall weight without sacrificing safety (water, food, windproof and warm clothing in case the weather changes), or without having on hand or buying lighter gear.

As noted, my idea is to quickly wash used clothing each night. Although this adds some workload, which can be unpleasant when you are very tired.

Just to clarify presumably this is for your walk around Palma ? Hence the camping gear. Because you need the camping gear I think you probably need the larger pack. So long as it's comfortable.
Yes, it is.
Whilst your mattress weight is good that tent is humongous! If you can borrow a lighter one you'd be doing yourself a real service. I don't see a sleeping bag, who is that what the liner is ( I was assuming it was a backpack liner but it's a bit heavy for that) if it's not a backpack liner you need either a decent heavy duty bin bag or a raincover of some description.
You're also missing a trowel and toilet paper. You'll need them.
That's right... Regarding the tent, I put the idea aside for this walk by reconfiguring the stages to distribute the distances. With the help of some local friends I got some tips on where to sleep, although this will cost me a few extra miles.
You have time to figure out how much water you are going to need over the next week or two before you start. It's very individual - some people get by on a litre for the entire day, others (me) three plus. Especially if the weather is warm.
If you have nowhere to top up along the way, I would consider adding an extra 500 mls to whatever you think you're likely to need.

It's not wrong, but you've picked a curious way to label some things. Typically we talk about worn versus packed; plus base weight vs total weight.
Anything that you're physically wearing - clothing, watch, shoes - is worn weight, anything packed regardless as to whether it's in your waist belt or pack is packed.
When it comes to packing lists we talk about base weight. Simply that's everything packed except for the consumables, i.e water and food.
Thanks for the advice. I will adapt my vocabulary.

Consider that I am Italian, not English. And despite living for many years around the world (every continent at least a year, excluding Asia where I only worked for short periods) I am not exactly a... language genius :D
All of the packing lists you'll see probably quote between six to eight kilos as a comfortable base weight. There are many forum members (who walk predominantly in summer) who actually get significantly lighter: 3 - 4kgs.

I'm struggling to understand why some of your weights are so different between packed and worn - for example your shirts (2) - one is 180 grams the other 60? Or do you have 3, carrying two, wearing one?
Pants: (2) 250 packed, 480g worn?
Also you appear to have (at least) two long sleeve shirts but only one short sleeve? Is that your sleepwear? Or should this be the other way around, you have two t-shirts and one long sleeve.
No shorts?
My mistake.

My intention is two wear one long-sleeve (for sun protection here), carry another and having a further one for emergency and for the night in the albergue.

Regarding the shorts, the paths here are sometimes narrow and surrounded by very wild vegetation not very green and full of branches that stick to the legs, including sometime prickly pear figs. So I avoid walking around with short pants.

Not to mention the sun. Also, I have learned that long pants promote moisture retention, even in very hot climates.

Let me add that the climate in the Canary Islands is very pleasant. It is no coincidence that they are part of the Macaronesia archipelago, the Greek etymology of which is "μακάρων νῆσοι" (makárōn nēsoi), meaning "lucky islands," relating to the fact that the climate is mild and constant more or less all year round. But temperature excursions cannot be ruled out.
Typically most of us wear one, carry one. Exceptions being socks/underwear (many of us wear one carry two) and of course warm clothing/ raingear.

I personally don't bother with either deodorant (I'm only with people in the evenings after I've showered) or shaving foam, I just use my soap. And you could swap the pegs for safety pins if they're available. But that's only 300g.
That's good advice. Thanks again.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Are your pegs really 100 grams each? Shouldn't that be 100 grams for the four pegs combined - which would lower your weight to 7,284. Pretty good, esp. if you consider how much your pack weighs empty.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Are your pegs really 100 grams each? Shouldn't that be 100 grams for the four pegs combined - which would lower your weight to 7,284. Pretty good, esp. if you consider how much your pack weighs empty.

I wouldn't like to have had you as my school teacher, @Peterexpatkiwi 😁 ... My mistake!

Actually I am considering, if possible to take my wife's 26L backpack. This would save another 400 or so grams.. I tried it last weekend and I couldn't see any difference respect to my Sirrus 44. But I have to check if I can fit everything in it.

I wouldn't like to have had you as my school teacher, @Peterexpatkiwi 😁 ... My mistake!

Actually I am considering, if possible to take my wife's 26L backpack. This would save another 400 or so grams.. I tried it last weekend and I couldn't see any difference respect to my Sirrus 44. But I have to check if I can fit everything in it.
Frankly, I think you are almost walking with a minimum. Have you considered also the usage of a sun umbrella?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 26L is for my wife. The 44L is for me. (26+44)/2=35 L 😉

(Note: in the spreadsheet, the 26L is not included in the total because the number of items is 0)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.