• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

6-7 days on via Francigena late November - Which sections to choose?

Noa_Ag

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles
I've walked the Camino Ingles and Primitivo a few years ago, and now thinking of taking on a few days of the via francigena in late November with my boyfriend.
Both of us are relatively capable walkers so that's not much of a concern. We have limited time off work - 10 days at the end of November, unfortunately not flexible... I am aware it's off season but unfortunately we couldn't get time off earlier or for a longer period.

Which 6-7 days section would you recommend we choose?
We'll be flying in and out from Rome and anyway it's quite late in the season, so I assume a part in the Lucca-Rome section would make most sense?
Would love for any recommendations from those who've walked what would be the most unmissable days.
Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is not exactly what you asked for but my favourite part of the Via di Francesco was a seven-day stretch from Assisi to Rieti that could be an option for you. Both endpoints are cities that are easy to get to from Rome. On this stretch you walk in mountains and later through rolling hills and olive groves, and stay in historic cities (Spoleto and the end points) and hilltop villages. I loved it!

Here is my live thread if you want to read more. And my stages for that section:

Assisi - Foligno: ~23km
Foligno - Poreta: ~25km
Poreta - Spoleto: ~15km
Spoleto - Macenano: ~24km
Macenano - Piediluco: ~28km
Piediluco - Poggio Bustone: ~21km
Poggio Bustone - Rieti: ~18km

I would never disagree with @jungleboy on his recommendations, but you might be pushing it weather-wise in the mountainous parts of the Via San Francesco in later November. While I haven't walked the VSF, I've done a fair amount of hiking in the mountains of central Italy (the Apennines) and even in early November, the weather is pretty dicey. Not only cold temperatures, but a good amount of rain and even snow,

By contrast, you shouldn't have the same weather challenges on the Via Francigena, which is at a lower altitude. I have walked its southern stretches -- through Tuscany and Lazio -- in November and December, and the weather was quite good, better even than in October, when it can still be very hot.

Starting in Lucca makes a lot of sense. I'd just keep walking until you run out of time. It gives you a taste of its most iconic portions, and perhaps the most iconic parts of Italy. Plus, the throngs of tourists will have largely cleared out, and there's plenty of lodging.

If you start in Lucca, I'd suggest following the new alternative to Altopascio that guidebook author Sandy Brown first outlined. Here's my description of it, if you're interested:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...n-the-new-lucca-altopascio-alternative.77375/

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If arriving and leaving from Rome then starting in Montefiascone should give you time to reach Rome and if you could even collect a testimonial... It's not the most scenic section it has to be said. The most enjoyable section would be possibly San Gimignano to Radicofani, if you get reasonable weather the Italian part of the VF doesn't get any better than this section. If you get heavy rain there are a couple of River crossings that need to be avoided.
If you're leaving from Ciampino airport and you have a little time walking out of Rome on the Via Appia Antica is a great little walk and it goes right past the airport.
If you need any details feel free to message and I'll reply as soon as I can.

Last edited:
This is not exactly what you asked for but my favourite part of the Via di Francesco was a seven-day stretch from Assisi to Rieti that could be an option for you. Both endpoints are cities that are easy to get to from Rome. On this stretch you walk in mountains and later through rolling hills and olive groves, and stay in historic cities (Spoleto and the end points) and hilltop villages. I loved it!

Here is my live thread if you want to read more. And my stages for that section:

Assisi - Foligno: ~23km
Foligno - Poreta: ~25km
Poreta - Spoleto: ~15km
Spoleto - Macenano: ~24km
Macenano - Piediluco: ~28km
Piediluco - Poggio Bustone: ~21km
Poggio Bustone - Rieti: ~18km

Thank you so much! Sounds like an interesting option, do you have any links to resources about this route? I haven't found much in English

I would never disagree with @jungleboy on his recommendations, but you might be pushing it weather-wise in the mountainous parts of the Via San Francesco in later November. While I haven't walked the VSF, I've done a fair amount of hiking in the mountains of central Italy (the Apennines) and even in early November, the weather is pretty dicey. Not only cold temperatures, but a good amount of rain and even snow,

By contrast, you shouldn't have the same weather challenges on the Via Francigena, which is at a lower altitude. I have walked its southern stretches -- through Tuscany and Lazio -- in November and December, and the weather was quite good, better even than in October, when it can still be very hot.

Starting in Lucca makes a lot of sense. I'd just keep walking until you run out of time. It gives you a taste of its most iconic portions, and perhaps the most iconic parts of Italy. Plus, the throngs of tourists will have largely cleared out, and there's plenty of lodging.

If you start in Lucca, I'd suggest following the new alternative to Altopascio that guidebook author Sandy Brown first outlined. Here's my description of it, if you're interested:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...n-the-new-lucca-altopascio-alternative.77375/
Thanks so much! Weather is definitely a big concern, glad to hear you found it okay during this time of year. I thought about just starting from Lucca ir perhaps Sienna, but thought maybe it would be a pity not to get to "the finish line" aka Rome walking?
Alternatively, if there are stretches before Lucca that aren't too up north that are worth seeing we'd love your input :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If arriving and leaving from Rome then starting in Montefiascone should give you time to reach Rome and if you could even collect a testimonial... It's not the most scenic section it has to be said. The most enjoyable section would be possibly San Gimignano to Radicofani, if you get reasonable weather the Italian part of the VF doesn't get any better than this section. If you get heavy rain there are a couple of River crossings that need to be avoided.
If you're leaving from Ciampino airport and you have a little time walking out of Rome on the Via Appia Antica is a great little walk and it goes right past the airport.
If you need any details feel free to message and I'll reply as soon as I can.
Thanks so much!

Alternatively, if there are stretches before Lucca that aren't too up north that are worth seeing we'd love your input
Frankly, you don't have a lot of good starting options (weather-wise, that is) prior to Lucca. The Apennines end about a week before Lucca, and while they're my favorite part of the Via Francigena in Italy, I wouldn't recommend them in late November. And while the stretch between the end of the Apennines and Lucca has some wonderful, less-discovered towns, the walking itself is fairly pedestrian (as it were).

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back