• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

34 or 38 L pack

AndyBorba

Time of past OR future Camino
I am wondering on personal preference out there.
For the full Francés route next summer, I will either buy the Osprey Stratos 34L or the Osprey Exos 38L.
Would you prefer 34 or 38L?
Anyone have experience with these packs?
My budget maxes out at $225, if there are other ideas.
In case it matters, I am 6'3"/1.90m and 195lb/88kg.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Both are good - although someone will be along shortly to point out that they’re not ‘lightweight’ packs.

Load either up with 10kg and go with whichever is most comfortable.

+/- 4 litres is neither here nor there. Just because you have the space doesn’t mean you have to fill it. I habitually use a Kestrel 38, about 2/3 full.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Very different packs.
I use the Stratos 34L. Have done since 2015.
Love it. Very comfortable.
I originally planned to buy the Exos 38L, but didn’t find it as comfortable,
The straps etc were quite thin. And I don’t think it has the ‘trampoline’ back.

Last edited:
I will check that one out as well. Thank you!

I would not worry about 4 litres but I would look at how comfortable I am.
Exos is lighter, but you have to add the weight of the raincover (wich is not included).
Stratos doesn't have the big mesh pocket; it has a zipped pocket instead.
Anyway, both are very good backpacks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Without the storage mesh pocket, I would have to use a water bladder rather than bottles, correct?

Comfort is King, whether it's shoe/sock combo or backpack.

Sizing wise, presumably you can fit all of your gear in either. So what is your back telling you?

As to alternatives, personally I have a Dueter Futura 32. Everything fits and I still have plenty of room for snacks/fruit etc.
Definitely within your budget, a quick check shows from $130/ $175.

Osprey is a great brand, but personally I found the Deuter more comfortable (remember fit is very individual). Has a similar trampoline back system.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum