• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

30 Days to Walk.

eamackey

Time of past OR future Camino
May, 2025
I would like to walk my first Camino in 2025. Late April - May. Second thought is October. I would like my experience to include solo and community time. Which route for 30 days?

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Depends a lot on your fitness level, how far you want to walk each day and what your average walking pace is.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have not walked the Portuguese and probably won't as there are no albergues there in our hospitalero volunteer networks. I would not walk either the CF or CP in April or May as these are very busy times.

Easter pilgrims are usually Spaniards who come our to walk the holiday week in April. May brings international pilgrims who start generally in SJPDP. Consider 30 days walking the CF from Pamplona or Logroño and then if you have time make a trip to Muxia at the end by bus or on foot.

I would like to walk my first Camino in 2025. Late April - May. Second thought is October. I would like my experience to include solo and community time. Which route for 30 days?

Hi, we’re planning to start the CF anfter Easter ‘25 too. The Cicerone guide book suggests three itineraries for the CF. Walking an average of 30km a day you can cover SJPP to Santiago in 26 days. This would give you a few extra for rest or enjoyment.

I am in good shape. Will hike here in the mountains of VA to prepare. I am thinking 10-14 mile days? Would like some lower days too.
If you want to keep to 10 to 14 miles a day I would definitely suggest the Camino Frances as there are a lot of options as to where and when to stop.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
The Cicerone guide book suggests three itineraries for the CF. Walking an average of 30km a day you can cover SJPP to Santiago in 26 days
30 km is 18.64 miles, and @eamackey is looking to average less than 20 km/day, so would have to start closer to Santiago than SJPdP to finish the Camino Francés in 30 days.
Logroño is about 611 km from Santiago, which would give an average daily distance of 20.37 km/12.66 miles.

If you plan to start from SJPdP to Santiago, 30 days with your preferred mileage plus shorter days might be a challenge.

Where do you want to start? As mentioned above, Pamplona on the CF is a good start point.

If both solo and pilgrim community time is really what you want, I'd suggest Oct. Easter next year is April 20th, so the week before will be a little more crowded, and from numbers and anecdotes, May is less solo, more pilgrim and hiker community, on both routes.

Depending on your time and distance you have provided. You may wish to utilize a modified WAY. There are many optional methods (bus, taxi, train) to leapfrog areas and still take in much experience of the CF. I would recommend you target areas most wished to walk to and from. Keep in mind if you wish to obtain your Compostela certificate, there is a minimal requirement of stamps from Sarria to Santiago. Buen Camino

It depends what your 30 days are. Does it include getting to your starting spot? It took me 2 days to get to St Jean and It might take you at least one day to get back. I was 64 when I did the Camino Frances as my first Camino and I did it in 30 days. I did not take any Zero days but I did have some shorter days of 9 miles. I did average 16 miles a day. I did have a transport company take my bag for me on some days. But if I did it again I would have my backpack light enough that I would always carry it. If it's your first Camino I would do the Camino Frances and I would give yourself a few extra days. So I would plan on 35 days instead of 30

The Frances, given it’s your first.
As suggested above, starting in Logrono is an option if you want to reach Santiago. Any 30 days anywhere on the Frances will be good. Chances are you’ll be back there before long anyway.

It depends what your 30 days are. Does it include getting to your starting spot? It took me 2 days to get to St Jean and It might take you at least one day to get back. I was 64 when I did the Camino Frances as my first Camino and I did it in 30 days. I did not take any Zero days but I did have some shorter days of 9 miles. I did average 16 miles a day. I did have a transport company take my bag for me on some days. But if I did it again I would have my backpack light enough that I would always carry it. If it's your first Camino I would do the Camino Frances and I would give yourself a few extra days. So I would plan on 35 days instead of 30
Sounds good. I guess I didn’t realize Pilgrims walk so many miles per day. I looked at “tours” to become familiar, and most had sections 8-10-14 miles, so I assumed that was standard. Thank you for the input. Just curious what size backpack would you consider now?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sounds good. I guess I didn’t realize Pilgrims walk so many miles per day. I looked at “tours” to become familiar, and most had sections 8-10-14 miles, so I assumed that was standard. Thank you for the input. Just curious what size backpack would you consider now?
You could do the Norte in 30 days if you are an ok walker.

Sounds good. I guess I didn’t realize Pilgrims walk so many miles per day. I looked at “tours” to become familiar, and most had sections 8-10-14 miles, so I assumed that was standard. Thank you for the input
I'd say that 12-15 miles (20-24 km) is more average. And start trying to think in kilometers, since that's what every pilgrim that you meet from outside the US plus sites like Gronze.com and guidebooks will be using.

If I were to buy a backpack for my next camino, I would buy an Osprey Exos 48 liter backpack. The women's version is the Eja 48. It's got more than enough room for everything I would need, plus I could use it for weekend backpacking trips in the US. It has a frame and suspension, and the best part is it weighs around 3 lbs. But, I used to work for an outdoor store before I retired, so I already have lots of gear. Nevertheless, I am still considering the Exos 48 if I do a camino again. And personally, I wouldn't do a tour. It's easy enough to do the camino on your own. Just pick a time when it's not that crowded.

I carry a 65 litre/kilos (?) capacity backpack but the overall weight of my backpack when I’m hiking the camino is around 9-10 kilos, which includes water and snacks.

Last edited:
My sweet spot seems to be 20-25 km (about 12-15 miles, I think). Some pilgrims tend to longer distances than this, some shorter.

I generally carry a backpack with a volume around 30L. But what fits you best is most important.

30 km is 18.64 miles, and @eamackey is looking to average less than 20 km/day, so would have to start closer to Santiago than SJPdP to finish the Camino Francés in 30 days.
Logroño is about 611 km from Santiago, which would give an average daily distance of 20.37 km/12.66 miles.
I love this answer. It reminds me of a phrase I often used with my children, and I now use with my grandchildren. "Do the math!" 😂

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm starting the camino on sept. 27 in Leon. I'm a bit apprehensive to start the journey alone. Are any other ladies going to be starting then also and want to walk that first leg? OR, are there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back