• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2nd camino in October 2024 - del Norte or Frances? General questions

preslav

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de San Salvador
Hi All,

It's nice to be here.

I would like to ask for a little help as I'm planning on doing my 2nd Camino this October. I have a small experience - 5 years ago I did Camino de San Salvador with my dad and this time I would love to try something on my own. This time something longer and not only to Santiago de Compostela but to Finisterra.

I have some general questions before going to specific threads.
1) As October may be quite rainy on the north, which camino would you recommend me? I'm thinking mostly about Camino del Norte - I was speaking with my dad who did the route in around 23-24 days between August and September and he thinks that weather should be fine also in October, probably slightly worse. I checked some statistics on the internet, but who really knows what will happen this time :D.
So that's the first question - which route would you recommend? Should I stick to my idea with del Norte or maybe choose Frances?

2) In case of choosing any of these routes - where should I fly to? I have option to fly by the end of September from Italy (Mediolan or Venice) and I was thinking about going to Santander/Bilbao/Biarritz but the flights don't perfectly fit to my schedule. Is going to Barcelona/Madrid and then taking bus to Irun (in case of doing del Norte) great idea? Or should I try my first ideas?

3) Shoes... That's something I really disagree with my dad almost everyday in our "trekking" life :D. He always pushes me to wear classic trekking shoes (Salomon, Jack Wolfskin, etc.) with Gore-tex, Vibram sole, but for me they are often to heavy on feet. I mean, I often wear them if I'm high in the mountains or doing some trekking on stones etc., but wouldn't be trail shoes better for i.e. Camino del Norte? Or maybe trekking shoes like adidas make? I also have some problems with knees and atfl in foot so something which holds the foot is a must... There is also something like "mountaint approach boots", but I have never had them...

Thank you for all the comments and answers.
Regards

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Hello…..just a couple of quick responses. I would choose the Norte. I’ve done both and in the quieter times outside of the main Spanish tourist season on the north coast, the Norte would be a better choice in my opinion.
On shoes, from what you describe, take a look at the new Topo Traverse. Good structure, light, Vibram sole, wide toe box……trail runner that’s robust enough for the trail. Only downside is that they don’t even try to be waterproof in any way but dry quickly. I always carry a second pair, the Topo WP 2 water resistant light trekking shoe which does the trick in wet weather.
Buen Camino !

I loved the Norte, but I walked in May/June so the weather was a mix of cold/rain and a week of heat. If you want less people, less crowds definitely pick the Norte. Just expect plenty of rain! But both are great routes - Frances will also be a bit quieter in October than the usual masses that begin in September.

Re: getting to a starting point. When I walked the Norte it was easy to get a train/bus from Madrid to Pamplona (where I stayed a couple nights because Pamplona is great.) And then there's a direct bus from Pamplona to San Sebastian that's about 1.5hrs (and a gorgeous ride!) I didn't start in Irun because the bus went straight to San Sebastian, and I figured I was ok skipping the first day, but I know others then took a taxi or bus to backtrack to Irun from there.

Flying into Bilbao or Biarritz certainly saves time - but Spain's public transport system is pretty good and you can definitely take Alsa/Renfe to get to your starting point on the Norte.

From Barcelona you can also take a train to Pamplona, and then connect right on the Frances there (with a bus to St Jean, but double check the schedule because sometimes they only do that in the summer months.)

Good luck and have a wonderful Camino = )

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
if you decide on the Norte, consider starting in Bayonne or Biarritz. It’s a great 2 day warmup and you can skip Irun, which is not particularly interesting.

Hi All,

It's nice to be here.

I would like to ask for a little help as I'm planning on doing my 2nd Camino this October. I have a small experience - 5 years ago I did Camino de San Salvador with my dad and this time I would love to try something on my own. This time something longer and not only to Santiago de Compostela but to Finisterra.

I have some general questions before going to specific threads.
1) As October may be quite rainy on the north, which camino would you recommend me? I'm thinking mostly about Camino del Norte - I was speaking with my dad who did the route in around 23-24 days between August and September and he thinks that weather should be fine also in October, probably slightly worse. I checked some statistics on the internet, but who really knows what will happen this time :D.
So that's the first question - which route would you recommend? Should I stick to my idea with del Norte or maybe choose Frances?

2) In case of choosing any of these routes - where should I fly to? I have option to fly by the end of September from Italy (Mediolan or Venice) and I was thinking about going to Santander/Bilbao/Biarritz but the flights don't perfectly fit to my schedule. Is going to Barcelona/Madrid and then taking bus to Irun (in case of doing del Norte) great idea? Or should I try my first ideas?

3) Shoes... That's something I really disagree with my dad almost everyday in our "trekking" life :D. He always pushes me to wear classic trekking shoes (Salomon, Jack Wolfskin, etc.) with Gore-tex, Vibram sole, but for me they are often to heavy on feet. I mean, I often wear them if I'm high in the mountains or doing some trekking on stones etc., but wouldn't be trail shoes better for i.e. Camino del Norte? Or maybe trekking shoes like adidas make? I also have some problems with knees and atfl in foot so something which holds the foot is a must... There is also something like "mountaint approach boots", but I have never had them...

Thank you for all the comments and answers.
Regards
Last year, my wife and I walked the first stage of Camino Frances (St Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles...fantastic stage), then we transferred to Camino del Norte via bus to Irun. We loved del Norte. Once we arrived in Villaviciosa, we picked up the Primitivo...and equally loved the Primitivo. We ended in Santiago de Compostela and then continued to Fisterre and ended in Muxia. We found Muxia a magical place to end our Camino.

My wife wore hiking shoes, and I wore light-weight hiking boots. We never had any foot problems. Choose what works best for you.

Buen Camino!

Just my opinion... I like the beach/coast. The Norte is my favorite Camino. Other than the scenery, it is cool because it is less crowded than the Frances but there are still other walkers around. My favorite aspect of any trek is the people I meet... watch me get ripped for this one but the people you meet on the Norte tend to be a tad cooler...

I always fly into Madrid, because from there I can go anywhere.

There are like 3 connecting flights a day into EAS (San Sebastian) from MAD... but the thing is the airport isn't in San Sebastian... it is in Irun! I walk from the airport into Irun. I'd rather take a relatively inexpensive hour long flight into Irun than a 5+ hour train ride.

As far as weather... I've enjoyed the best weather ever in October... but on other occasions I've been rained on like 15 days in a row... that one is kind of a crapshoot. Good luck!

Shoes... I have become a Hoka convert. They aren't durable but they are comfy. Like, I swear I don't get calluses anymore like I used to wearing more traditional hiking shoes. I've never had blister issues tho regardless.

Again, just my opinion. YMMV.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm going to throw a spanner in the works. Since your Camino experience is the San Salvador, what about the Primitivo? Continuing from where you left off, as it were. If that isn't long enough you can always continue on to Finisterre and/or Muxía and/or walk the Inglés. Just an idea.

For shoes, most recently I've been wearing Hoka Challengers, but it is really about what fits your feet the best.

Hello,
from my experience, October is not necessarily rainy on the Norte - I was very lucky with the weather two years ago, but starting on October 7th from Bilbao, I had just a few rainy days in the four weeks of walking, and most of them were near the end in Galicia, where it rains pretty much all the time :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just my opinion... I like the beach/coast. The Norte is my favorite Camino. Other than the scenery, it is cool because it is less crowded than the Frances but there are still other walkers around. My favorite aspect of any trek is the people I meet... watch me get ripped for this one but the people you meet on the Norte tend to be a tad cooler...

I always fly into Madrid, because from there I can go anywhere.

There are like 3 connecting flights a day into EAS (San Sebastian) from MAD... but the thing is the airport isn't in San Sebastian... it is in Irun! I walk from the airport into Irun. I'd rather take a relatively inexpensive hour long flight into Irun than a 5+ hour train ride.

As far as weather... I've enjoyed the best weather ever in October... but on other occasions I've been rained on like 15 days in a row... that one is kind of a crapshoot. Good luck!

Shoes... I have become a Hoka convert. They aren't durable but they are comfy. Like, I swear I don't get calluses anymore like I used to wearing more traditional hiking shoes. I've never had blister issues tho regardless.

Again, just my opinion. YMMV.
Ditto Norte is my favorite.

Thank you so so much for so many answers. I had to go off for a couple of days (I'm writing my master's and really wish to finish it in next two weeks :D), but I have decided!

I'm going the Camino del Norte and travelling from Mediolan to Bilbao. I will get there around 11pm so either I will take 1 night there or I will travel to Irun at night (based on BlaBlaCars available, hope there will be somebody).

Thank you for recommendation and making me sure that October is great month to walk.

I will check the Hoka shoes. This weekend I'm going to buy some shoes and try it for next month.

One more time, thank you for your help :)

Thank you so so much for so many answers. I had to go off for a couple of days (I'm writing my master's and really wish to finish it in next two weeks :D), but I have decided!

I'm going the Camino del Norte and travelling from Mediolan to Bilbao. I will get there around 11pm so either I will take 1 night there or I will travel to Irun at night (based on BlaBlaCars available, hope there will be somebody).

Thank you for recommendation and making me sure that October is great month to walk.

I will check the Hoka shoes. This weekend I'm going to buy some shoes and try it for next month.

One more time, thank you for your help :)
Good choice. Buen Camino

Hello…..just a couple of quick responses. I would choose the Norte. I’ve done both and in the quieter times outside of the main Spanish tourist season on the north coast, the Norte would be a better choice in my opinion.
On shoes, from what you describe, take a look at the new Topo Traverse. Good structure, light, Vibram sole, wide toe box……trail runner that’s robust enough for the trail. Only downside is that they don’t even try to be waterproof in any way but dry quickly. I always carry a second pair, the Topo WP 2 water resistant light trekking shoe which does the trick in wet weather.
Buen Camino !
Hello. Why do you say Norte is better? I am planning a November trip, the first Camino for my husband and me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A challenge in what way? Do you need to be much more physically fit to walk the Norte?
The Norte is more physically demanding than the Francés for a few reasons. There are a lot more ups and downs, and often the distances between towns is longer. Plus the pilgrim infrastructure is no where near as robust, which can lead to walking longer distances to find affordable accommodations.
Quite often people say that there is no need to do much planning when walking the Camino - just show up. But the Norte and other routes do require more planning or more money, or both.

Hello. Why do you say Norte is better? I am planning a November trip, the first Camino for my husband and me.
It depends what you are looking for……I agree completely with Trecile’s assessment (above). It depends how much time you have, how much interaction you wish for with other pilgrims, how much challenging terrain you are prepared for and in November, how much rain you can bear.
I love the Norte for its wildness and authentic culture. It is way less travelled than other routes and that suits me. I walked from Gijon to Santiago in April this year and saw just about 15 fellow peregrinos in 3 weeks until I hit Arzua where the route merges with the Camino Frances for the final two days and that was a bit of a culture shock. I have however walked stretches of the Norte in Galicia in November a couple of years ago and although beautiful, it was very wet and I didn’t see a soul.
Imagining that you may have a couple of weeks and not 6 weeks to walk the Norte the whole way from Irun, I would advise to take a hard look at the Camino Portuguese as it’s your first. I would walk from Porto starting along the coast and cutting inland to join the ‘central’ route at Vila do Conde. I would include the ‘spiritual variant’ just north of Pontevedra too (an extra day but well worth it).

It depends what you are looking for……I agree completely with Trecile’s assessment (above). It depends how much time you have, how much interaction you wish for with other pilgrims, how much challenging terrain you are prepared for and in November, how much rain you can bear.
I love the Norte for its wildness and authentic culture. It is way less travelled than other routes and that suits me. I walked from Gijon to Santiago in April this year and saw just about 15 fellow peregrinos in 3 weeks until I hit Arzua where the route merges with the Camino Frances for the final two days and that was a bit of a culture shock. I have however walked stretches of the Norte in Galicia in November a couple of years ago and although beautiful, it was very wet and I didn’t see a soul.
Imagining that you may have a couple of weeks and not 6 weeks to walk the Norte the whole way from Irun, I would advise to take a hard look at the Camino Portuguese as it’s your first. I would walk from Porto starting along the coast and cutting inland to join the ‘central’ route at Vila do Conde. I would include the ‘spiritual variant’ just north of Pontevedra too (an extra day but well worth it).
Thanks for the detailed reply! I've already decided against the Norte, but I was considering the Frances as the alternative. I think I need as much infrastructure as I can get.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

Most read last week in this forum

I'm starting the camino on sept. 27 in Leon. I'm a bit apprehensive to start the journey alone. Are any other ladies going to be starting then also and want to walk that first leg? OR, are there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back