• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When to do the Camino

AnnL

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2023
I started the Camino Frances in August of 2023 and had to leave due to a family emergency back home. I’m going to return in 2024 to finish it. (Burgos to Santiago). I’m considering walking in late April or late August. What month do you recommend and why?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I started the Camino Frances in August of 2023 and had to leave due to a family emergency back home. I’m going to return in 2024 to finish it. (Burgos to Santiago). I’m considering walking in late April or late August. What month do you recommend and why?
I would do either, they both have advantages.

In both cases you will be ahead of a large wave of pilgrims walking behind you. Late April can be a very busy time on the Camino Frances starting in St. Jean but by starting in Burgos you will be ahead of a big wave. Many people also choose to start the Frances from St. Jean in September and so again you will be ahead of the wave at a popular time.

Being ahead of the waves means that you will have much greater choice of accommodation and you will be able to be much more flexible in where you stop. If it suits your personality then in both cases you should be able to walk without reservations and decide each day how far to walk based on the conditions encountered that day.

It will probably be hotter in late August than in late April but most people deal with this by starting to walk earlier in the day and stopping earlier in the day. It should also be dryer and less muddy in late August.

There will probably be less fellow pilgrims in late August until you get to Sarria but there will always be enough to provide good company.

You will probably find that your fellow pilgrims are younger in late August as university students and the recently graduated will be on their holiday breaks.

I would choose which ever date was the most convenient.

Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Having walked twice in the fall, Sept. Oct. and twice in the spring, Apr. May, I would choose springtime. It is so gorgeous, it takes your breath away. The red poppies in bloom, and everything is some shade of green. The weather was nice too.

I prefer 7-10 days before end of April start. More daylight, flowers in bloom, cooler weather that turns mild/ideal in May, tends to be more rain.

My first few Caminos were Sept/Oct. The good: grapes are ripe, wine festivals, apples, pears, berries and various other fruits are ripe. Not so good: larger crowds, brown and dusty fields, hotter, shorter days,

I have done 6 CF, both spring and autumn. May and Sept. are the busiest ones.

This year I will start around 5-6 April, after the Easter crowd, and walk untill mid-may or so. I figure that will be in between rush-days. Spring is nice. But so is Spt., although maybe higher traffic.

@DoughnutANZ above has given you my own reasons for picking my time.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Which month do I recommend? April.
Why: Because I walked the CF in August :)

No but seriously, August temperatures on the Meseta (so, Burgos-Astorga) are... just bad. If you start in late April, then you're looking at 15-20C / 60-70F highs, which I really like for physical activity outside. Late August, on the other hand, is basically a frying pan.

If you want, you can look at the stats yourself. CaminoWeather has more info on this sort of thing.

Late April, Burgos - Santiago
Late August, Burgos-Santiago

Most read last week in this forum

I’m just back from a two-part Camino. The Via Serrana from Gibraltar to Sevilla, and then the Invierno from Ponferrada. I am experiencing the standard post-camino letdown, so I thought I’d...
hey there! i'm looking into my first camino, hoping to start around mid-late august - i've wanted to do the traditional frances route for some years now but haven't been in a position to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back