• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walk out of order/ SJPDP to Pamplona

Time of past OR future Camino
April/may 2024 Or September
would you recommend changes and what challenges would the change bring on that i should consider first? My plan was to start at SJPDP may 13 and do full Camino to Santiago. I fly into Pamplona on the 10th and fly out of Lisbon mid July. With the crowds (and rain) should I consider doing the Camino out of order? Start in Pamplona and take bus back and do SJPDP later at the end? Or some other recommendation? I have booked my first days for the walk from SJPDP back to Pamplona and not concerned about bed (I will cancel if I change plan) but just wondering with rain and crowds, would this section be better if I did Pamplona to Leon and come back to SJPDP walk to Pamplona and bus back to Leon? I was looking forward to the beauty of this section and don’t want to miss it. Thank you for your thoughts. Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I started two Caminos on May 13th exactly in St.Jean. Was great both times. Mixed weather, plenty of people, plenty of doomsday talk of not getting beds. But would do it again. Maybe get reservations for Roncesvalles and Zubiri.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is no doubt that it will be busy in May, but it seems like it would be a lot of work to come back to SJPDP at a later time. Why not just start in Pamplona or f you want to see the Pyrenees, take a bus over to Jaca from Pamplona and bus up to Somport and then walk the Aragones in this earlier part of May. You will see the Pyrenees and also not be bothered by crowds until you rejoin the Camino Frances at Puenta la Reina. It is considered part of the Camino Frances as well.

Last edited:
That is a really interesting idea and one not thought of. I kinda like it and will explore. Thinking, visit and hike around the Jaca area in May may be very pleasant. Thank you for the suggestion.

That is a really interesting idea and one not thought of. I kinda like it and will explore. Thinking, visit and hike around the Jaca area in May may be very pleasant. Thank you for the suggestion.
You can also get to Jaca and further up the mountain from Madrid by train or train and bus.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
would you recommend changes and what challenges would the change bring on that i should consider first? My plan was to start at SJPDP may 13 and do full Camino to Santiago. I fly into Pamplona on the 10th and fly out of Lisbon mid July. With the crowds (and rain) should I consider doing the Camino out of order? Start in Pamplona and take bus back and do SJPDP later at the end? Or some other recommendation? I have booked my first days for the walk from SJPDP back to Pamplona and not concerned about bed (I will cancel if I change plan) but just wondering with rain and crowds, would this section be better if I did Pamplona to Leon and come back to SJPDP walk to Pamplona and bus back to Leon? I was looking forward to the beauty of this section and don’t want to miss it. Thank you for your thoughts. Buen Camino
Started in SJPDP a few days ago, really no problem at all. Yes some rain, I’m also staying in privates.

Thank you, very excited, but watching all the chat… has made me nervous.
You've got it, your booked, carry on from the start and stop concerning yourself with the gloom, this chat line was never around when we did it 2016/2018 - its going to be busy and you'll be surprised how many fall away as you walk. Book in Orison if you can? otherwise it's a long day but beautiful walk over the hill. Suggest you book a bed in Rochavalles (otherwise you will end up in the basement accommodation) and in Zubiri (if you saw the film "the way" this is where Tom lost his pack off the bridge) and review as you go. Buon Camino

If you jave the time do it all now don’t wait!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you, very excited, but watching all the chat… has made me nervous.
What isn't obvious from the "chat" is that mostly it comes from inexperienced pilgrims and they don't understand that the busy period is a very short number of days.

By the time that you get there it will be completely different and the weather will also be different although you should expect rain in Northern Spain in the Spring.

Buen camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.